I love how Dino is throwing some zingers about $$$ | Syracusefan.com

I love how Dino is throwing some zingers about $$$

Rocco

Watching you.
In his Mike Hart quote, he said he left for an "enormous" raise at Indiana.

Translation: "If I had more damn money, I wouldn't have lost him. Pay attention, SUAD. Gotta pay up if you want to compete with the big boys. Indiana?!?! C'mon now."

Have I mentioned how much I love Babers?

K, thanks. Bye.

Hear what you're saying but I'm not sure he would've paid 20k more to keep Hart

Exactly. I agree with Rocco it was a bit of a zinger but lets see some more winning on the field before we start complaining about compensation for a RB coach with 1 year of BCS experience. In addition, any employee worth a nickel can usually go out and find a job that pays more $$; however there are risks with it when one starts jumping from job to job.

I don't think Dino was Mike Hart's #1 fan probably not even his #10 fan

I will love Dino if he wins football games and stays more than 2- 3 seasons if he goes 7-5 one year. Other than that, he's just a smart football dude playing media games, go win Dino

But why would we want to pay Hart that kind of money? Has really hasn't proven himself to worth that much?
It's not about experience. It's about fair market value. I'm willing to bet that the enormous raise, put's him on par with most assistants with a few years experience. Look at Hopkins in hoops. No H.C. experience, but Washington is already paying him more than his old boss with 40+ years experience. /that's because Washington knows that if they are going to be serious about keeping up with the Jones's, then they'll have to pay like they are the Jones's.

It's not about experience. It's about fair market value. I'm willing to bet that the enormous raise, put's him on par with most assistants with a few years experience. Look at Hopkins in hoops. No H.C. experience, but Washington is already paying him more than his old boss with 40+ years experience. /that's because Washington knows that if they are going to be serious about keeping up with the Jones's, then they'll have to pay like they are the Jones's.

1.8 Million - so not more. He's getting a very good increase from his SU pay but not making more than JB.

But point is the amount Indiana is not worth what he did for us. He didn't show us anything last year, so why would we pay him fair market value?

Perhaps I'm mistaken. I thought I read he was getting over 3 mil total compensation per year. At any rate, look at this link of what other schools are paying their assistants.
Football | Assistant | Salaries | USA TODAY Sports

I think he has escalators but he is still a first time coach. I know there's a lot of truth to pay for what you get - but you do have to spend your money with the right people. Cannot just spend for the sake of spending. It's also very difficult for a private school to pay a ton. It has to come from somewhere.

Perhaps I'm mistaken. I thought I read he was getting over 3 mil total compensation per year. At any rate, look at this link of what other schools are paying their assistants.
Football | Assistant | Salaries | USA TODAY Sports

Total Comp includes his Nike money, which I understand is pretty good. I believe his current salary from SU is around $2.1M.

That says more about the bargain JB is than anything else. If he wanted a raise, he could get it.

Exactly. I agree with Rocco it was a bit of a zinger but lets see some more winning on the field before we start complaining about compensation for a RB coach with 1 year of BCS experience. In addition, any employee worth a nickel can usually go out and find a job that pays more $$; however there are risks with it when one starts jumping from job to job.

I don't think Dino was Mike Hart's #1 fan probably not even his #10 fan

I will love Dino if he wins football games and stays more than 2- 3 seasons if he goes 7-5 one year. Other than that, he's just a smart football dude playing media games, go win Dino

I don't know -- you have to question whether this university is every going to really pay -- I mean REALLY pay for elite coaches. I'm not trying to flip out. If they just genuinely can't do it, then fine, find another way around it. But I think Dino's zinger is more of a general complaint that 'hey, if you really want to battle with the big boys, put your money where your mouth is.' And I'm not sure we can really argue we've done that ... ever, really.

A: Mike Hart is a good coach and recruiter. A good addition to the staff.
B: Mike Hart got a great deal from Indiana.
C: We don't have room in our current budget for that kind of raise.
D: We didn't think he was worth that kind of raise.
E: All of the above.

Without anything to go on but Babers comments, I'm kind of leaning towards E.

... Cannot just spend for the sake of spending. It's also very difficult for a private school to pay a ton. It has to come from somewhere.

Bingo. Hate to lose a promising young coach, but there are budget realities. SU has ACC TV money, but other programs do much better with ticket revenue (total attendance and pricing) and corporate/alumni support earmarked for football. Have to pay Babers and his top assistants as the first priority.

I don't know -- you have to question whether this university is every going to really pay -- I mean REALLY pay for elite coaches. I'm not trying to flip out. If they just genuinely can't do it, then fine, find another way around it. But I think Dino's zinger is more of a general complaint that 'hey, if you really want to battle with the big boys, put your money where your mouth is.' And I'm not sure we can really argue we've done that ... ever, really.

That's not the right question to ask. The right question to ask is "are we paying fair market value for someone of that experience level and skill?"

There's no proof that Mike Hart is worth what Indiana is paying him. In fact, given our running game last season...

They never have and never will, I don't understand why people feel just overpaying for unproven position coaches is really a good idea. It doesn't guarantee success or anything for that matter. If you are paying to keep an elite recruiter/ coordinator that is one thing. Position coaches come and go, not a big deal, IMO. What has HART done to deserve a raise? In addition, he gets one then the next guy says let me do that and you have a mutiny on your hand, sometimes it's best to shake their hand, let them go and move onto the next. Dino has bigger fish to fry than getting into a bidding war for Mike Hart. Mike took the money but he is going to work for an unproven HC with a school that turns over it's staff quite a bit ( Not that Syracuse doesn't but Dino will have every chance to be successful at Syracuse) If he is then he may go to a bigger position and Hart could possibly go with him. Long term it all depends on where he wants to hitch his wagon.

I think it is VERY difficult at the start of year two to match an 'enormous offer' from indiana for our 1st year @ BCS level-running backs coach. Is Mike Hart an 'elite' coach? No. I do think if this was year 3 or 4 you win that battle for one of your coordinators, not necessarily one of your assistants.

In his Mike Hart quote, he said he left for an "enormous" raise at Indiana.

Translation: "If I had more damn money, I wouldn't have lost him. Pay attention, SUAD. Gotta pay up if you want to compete with the big boys. Indiana?!?! C'mon now."

Have I mentioned how much I love Babers?

K, thanks. Bye.

Babers loves his zingers, but as a rule, I think we as a whole take the things that are said by coaches, etc far too literally.

To me, this was Babers sending a macro message and Hart was an excuse...but in truth, he isn't gone because of the money.