I love JB and it's why this year has to be it | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

I love JB and it's why this year has to be it

The game has changed. Steph Curry changed everything.

If you have to guard shooters out to 25 feet, the gaps in a zone are just too big to defend.

It's science. It's geometry. It's attributable to ever-increasing shooting skill levels among players. EVERYONE can shoot a three nowadays.

The game has changed. The coaching strategy has NOT. It really is that simple.
It's not just strategy though. The talent level isn't as there either.

JB had his chance to go out with his boys. woulda been a nice finish. instead he comes back.
gloves are off . win or go home. mid pack ACC and bubble team doesn't cut it anymore.
We all know he’s back because he flucked up so bad last year, he couldn’t get those 2 wins to get him back to 1000.

I’ll allow the school to let him get them, THEN FIRE HIS ASS IN THE LOCKER ROOM AFTER!!!

Agree 144% *

There have been several seasons where he's gotten lucky, or done just enough to stave off the pitchforks.

Examples of the former were self-imposing a ban in 2015 season, and the 2020 season getting cancelled during the postseason when we weren't going to make the NCAA tournament anyway either year.

And then having positive finishes in 2016 [unexpected F4 run] when it seemed like we wouldn't earn an NCAA bid after losing to Pitt in the 1st round of ACCT, knocking off a highly rated #3 seed in 2018 when it looked like we were relegated to the "first four" and barely made the tournament, and Buddy getting blistering hot at the right time in the 2021 postseason, enabling us to score a few wins that got us into the NCAA tournament, where we knocked off WVU.

The picture looks a lot more bleak without those late season runs, and without a couple of extra NIT appearances marring the resume.

* Footnote / citations to 721Comstock

I don’t really like this. I’ve defended JB but honestly I’m now in the camp that he needs to be done. That said, we can agree he has declined without denigrating his high points. I don’t think it’s fair to hold him accountable for everything negative and then diminish anything positive as “luck” or anything else. It’s not really different than saying that Colgate making 100 threes was just bad luck.

This is still our program and JB is still a hero of that program. We can be proud of his high points and still understand he’s declining. There’s no need to burn him down to the foundation to prove the point.

I don’t really like this. I’ve defended JB but honestly I’m now in the camp that he needs to be done. That said, we can agree he has declined without denigrating his high points. I don’t think it’s fair to hold him accountable for everything negative and then diminish anything positive as “luck” or anything else. It’s not really different than saying that Colgate making 100 threes was just bad luck.

This is still our program and JB is still a hero of that program. We can be proud of his high points and still understand he’s declining. There’s no need to burn him down to the foundation to prove the point.

"Luck?" What the EPH are you talking about? How does that pertain to anything from my post? Subjective, straw man BS, from top to bottom.

Something for you to consider -- while it sucks hearing that your baby is ugly, it doesn't matter whether the coach is a "hero" or not, given that things have declined to the point where difficult decisions are in our program's future.

Not interested in hair splitting attempts to sugar coat the current state.

"Luck?" What the EPH are you talking about? How does that pertain to anything from my post? Subjective, straw man BS, from top to bottom.

Something for you to consider -- while it sucks hearing that your baby is ugly, it doesn't matter whether the coach is a "hero" or not, given that things have declined to the point where difficult decisions are in our program's future.

Not interested in hair splitting attempts to sugar coat the current state.

Yikes RF

Yikes RF

Yikes?

You're the one who implied that I said anything about "luck," or that I was denigrating JB's accomplishments.

What I actually said is that the perception of how far we've declined as a program was partially offset by us avoiding NIT outcomes twice in the past decade that would have lowered the collective fanbase satisfaction with the past 10 years if those outcomes hadn't been avoided.

And that the lingering memory most fans carry forward about several subpar, below-average regular seasons [by our standards] in this past decade is influenced by postseason overachievement, which made it easier to ignore the decline, even though cracks in the foundation were starting to be evident.

There isn't a bigger JB fan on this forum, nor a fan who is more appreciative of the joy he's brought to my life as an SU fan. But it's time to acknowledge that performance has slipped beyond acceptable parameters, and that things won't get better just because a segment of the fanbase can't bear to critique JB's job performance.

7f49e2acb05a4beab23e908069e2ca22.jpeg

Last edited:
I want change but it’s not gonna happen. He has support at the highest level and is untouchable. Anyone who thinks otherwise at this point is delusional. Jim will leave when Jim is damn good and ready.

Yikes?

You're the one who implied that I said anything about "luck," or that I was denigrating JB's accomplishments.

What I actually said is that the perception of how far we've declined as a program was partially offset by us avoiding NIT outcomes that would have made the past 10 seasons seem worse, if those outcomes hadn't been avoided.

And that a handful of below-average regular seasons [by our standards] over that same span of time were offset by postseason overachievement, that made our fanbase feel better about the state of the state, even though cracks in the foundation were starting to be evident.

There isn't a bigger JB fan on this forum, nor a fan who is more appreciative of the joy he's brought to my life as an SU fan. But it's time to acknowledge that performance has slipped beyond acceptable parameters, and that things won't get better just because a segment of the fanbase can't bear to critique JB's job performance.

7f49e2acb05a4beab23e908069e2ca22.jpeg

You’re selling past the close my friend. I haven’t seen a single post, including mine, that says things are good or that JB isn’t in substantial decline. You don’t have to crusade on this point, there is quite literally zero opposition to it.

Listen if anybody should know it is wildhack because he worked at ESPN, a freaking business and that's exactly what this is that hes involved with now and then he needs treat it like so!! This most definitely should be JB's last season ! I mean I'm sorry but it's a freaking joke and I just know how he is and that he would not break or bend whatsoever . I don't know if I saw the Box score for the cowboys game and I wasn't sure if that was a type or I just couldn't move the screen but it looked like only 5 players played in that game for Syracuse and what the h*** is that . It could be something simple as you know the screen I just couldn't see the other part of the screen but that's the only 5 people I could say I couldn't see the medicine all that anyway , these 2 programs need to be and reinvigorated so badly and this is the worst time for this to happen with all this Moving around programs going to this conference others get left behind and these eighties seriously need to take this into account including bayheim because he apparently loves us you and hes gonna put SU right into a group of 5 or no football at all lame school With no money.
they're gonna dream that they still had ACC money in a few years

I want him coaxed to hang it up by his family. I really don't want SU to fire him or push him out. JB won't care about saving face, he'll tell everyone he got canned if that's what they do
So what. Everyone will realize it was time and that he needed to go.

I want change but it’s not gonna happen. He has support at the highest level and is untouchable. Anyone who thinks otherwise at this point is delusional. Jim will leave when Jim is damn good and ready.
Not true. I dont think Kent is a fan

If I'm JW. Coach this is your last year and if so Red and Gmac will be strongly considered. In the event you decide to continue i will shift my focus to a completely new direction. Your call Jim
That statement is contradictory. It should be, coach, this is your last year.
If you announce by January 1st that you are resigning, I will strongly consider your recommendations on the next coach.
If I have to announce it’s your last year, I am doing it January and am hiring from outside.

It should be obvious to everyone what the situation is. Jim is building the team this for the next coach, next year. There will be 8 returning guys who will have a season+ of experience as the backbone of the team for the new coach. He is not recruiting any players because he can not tell them he will be their coach next year. The new coach will work with Weitzman to add players if necessary as I don't think he wants to be part of that new college sports world of pay to play. He doesn't want to announce he is leaving because he doesn't want to go on some farewell tour. If you believe this to be true, then let's just support the new kids watch for something special to happen.

It should be obvious to everyone what the situation is. Jim is building the team this for the next coach, next year. There will be 8 returning guys who will have a season+ of experience as the backbone of the team for the new coach. He is not recruiting any players because he can not tell them he will be their coach next year. The new coach will work with Weitzman to add players if necessary as I don't think he wants to be part of that new college sports world of pay to play. He doesn't want to announce he is leaving because he doesn't want to go on some farewell tour. If you believe this to be true, then let's just support the new kids watch for something special to happen.

I shouldn't bother responding, but that's precisely the opposite of what's happening.

So what. Everyone will realize it was time and that he needed to go.
If you don't care how we are perceived, that is fine. But come on,we will get roasted as a fan base. I kinda respect if people don't care, but funny pretend like it's not gonna happen

People are think we are a laughing stock naturally for being ordinary and think that we are not going to be ripped for pushing him out . I think it's totally backwards.

If you don't care how we are perceived, that is fine. But come on,we will get roasted as a fan base. I kinda respect if people don't care, but funny pretend like it's not gonna happen

People are think we are a laughing stock naturally for being ordinary and think that we are not going to be ripped for pushing him out . I think it's totally backwards.
1) This board has a weird obsession about being embarrassed. It's like people are teenagers worried about what the kids at school are going to say. I mean, how often does anyone get poked fun at in real life for something related to SU sports? I'm guessing never is the most common answer. So strange, and who the heck cares anyway.

2) There's no reality where JB is pushed out, so there's nothing to worry about there either.

It wont get to that point. JW is a pretty smart guy and im sure he will be able to get coach to make the right decision.

I want him coaxed to hang it up by his family. I really don't want SU to fire him or push him out. JB won't care about saving face, he'll tell everyone he got canned if that's what they do
I think most of us don’t care if it’s his family or the AD. We just need to move on.

This is as obvious as UMASS's imminent B1G invitation.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom