I love the off season banter with regard to transfers coming and going, coordinators leaving | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

I love the off season banter with regard to transfers coming and going, coordinators leaving

The program is in the best shape it’s been for at least ten years if not going back pre-Robinson.

I'd go for Streeter and the Gibson guy from FAU that tomcat mentioned yesterday. Go big or go home.

People act as if only SU loses staff. Everyone loses staff, at every level. The top tier P5 schools lose coordinators to other schools as HCs, and lose staff to the NFL, constantly.

Yep...The TCU Offensive Coordinator just played in the National Championship game and he quit to go to Clemson.

You turn everything into a doon-and-gloom post about NIL. That’s fine, have at it if that’s how you want to approach things.

In this specific case we have a guy who was a position coach for 7 years who got a promotion to the state where he’s from. Like it or not, Minnesota always had more resources than SU. Or do we do not remember a certain AD who bolted for there a few years ago? And that was before NIL and the latest TV deal.

Look, maybe 5 years from now we’ll all look up from the Mad Max Fury Road-like wasteland that has become SU football and say “man, Anomander sure was right.” It’s possible.

I just don’t see the point in wallowing in misery about an unknown future, and wailing about everything that happens to SU as if the sky has fallen. It’s Nick Monroe, he’s a nice guy, good recruiter, and life will go on.

We’ll kick off on 9/2 and see how things go. Honestly I think we’ll be the same program 5 years from now as we are today.
I agree with all of this though I wonder about the 5 year look. We may be the same program but will be playing the same opponents?

I can't wait for some of the posters on this board making excuses about all the coaching turnover next year when we only go 5-7/6-6 . If we don't go minimum 7-5 next year, Dino needs to go. He's a great face for the university, but the coaching/recruiting just isn't there.
The coaching is so bad guys keep getting hired off of the staff and the recruiting is so bad 4 players declare early for the draft, they and others make all conference teams , and some get recruited by top 10 programs to transfer.

‘’based on that they’d have to shut the program down if the coaching and recruiting was any good

The program is in the best shape it’s been for at least ten years if not going back pre-Robinson.
Thats an incredibly low bar in a current college football environment where if we don’t make significant progress soon we may be left behind in the grand scheme.

Yes there’s noticeable improvements, but over a near decade span it needs to result in wins

That said im optimistic we make a good hire to replace Nick and we make a bowl next year.

I think my expectations are reasonable.

People act as if only SU loses staff. Everyone loses staff, at every level. The top tier P5 schools lose coordinators to other schools as HCs, and lose staff to the NFL, constantly.

Every tier below that loses coaches as they advance up and across the food chain.

People get so myopic about SU. I get it, that’s the school we follow. But the hysteria is a bit silly. This stuff happens to literally every school at every level.
Again, as I said in the other thread where you made the same comment, we don’t have the resources to plug in starter and staff losses with high level, experienced replacements from other P5’s like power programs do so that’s generally why people get upset about it.

Pretending like it’s no big deal is as much an overreaction as any.

Last edited:
The one positive. I’ve always hated the end of the season. Luckily this year it was extended with a bowl game. And being a Bears fan offers zero relief for an extended football season.

So when ‘cuse plays its last game I’m always dying for the season to start again. Gotta say, if anything, there’s been no shortage of reasons to waste my day on this board since the season ended. It’s been…. exciting….?
As a Bears fan too... I concur with your entire post!!

Hire Streeter as TE coach, recruiting coordinator.

• As recruiting coordinator from 2014-19, he spearheaded Clemson’s top-10 classes according to Rivals in five of the six years, including the record No. 2 class for 2020 that also ranked No. 1 according to ESPN.

Sincere question, because I honestly don't know the answer...

Do good recruiters even matter anymore in the age of NIL?

Again, as I said in the other thread where you made the same comment, we don’t have the resources to plug in starter and staff losses with high level, experienced replacements from other P5’s like power programs do so that’s generally why people get upset about it.

Pretending like it’s no big deal is as much an overreaction as any.
But we did plug in a staff loss with Rocky Long. That literally just happened.

I don’t like losing top players. Don’t get me wrong. But it’s also college and players leave, one way or another. It used to be to graduation, now it’s to the portal. It’s reality. We just have to work the portal to our own advantage and plug in guys (which we did at QB and other spots over the past 2 years).

You mean like Jason Beck?
I know some people here love Beck, but have no clue if he can recruit yet. He didn't seem particularly charismatic during his Bowl game interview. I am optimistic he'll be a good OC, but we don't even know that yet.

The coaching is so bad guys keep getting hired off of the staff and the recruiting is so bad 4 players declare early for the draft, they and others make all conference teams , and some get recruited by top 10 programs to transfer.

‘’based on that they’d have to shut the program down if the coaching and recruiting was any good
You're right. We're consistently ranked in the Top 25 for ACC recruiting at 14th.

Sincere question, because I honestly don't know the answer...

Do good recruiters even matter anymore in the age of NIL?
It’s about networking and relationship building, so yes. Are you more likely to take a call from someone you know or a cold call 1-800 number

You're right. We're consistently ranked in the Top 25 for ACC recruiting at 14th.
Read what you wrote against what just happened. You don’t you see the contradiction

The one positive. I’ve always hated the end of the season. Luckily this year it was extended with a bowl game. And being a Bears fan offers zero relief for an extended football season.

So when ‘cuse plays its last game I’m always dying for the season to start again. Gotta say, if anything, there’s been no shortage of reasons to waste my day on this board since the season ended. It’s been…. exciting….?
Fellow Bears fan, can confirm. Haha.

What evidence do you have that suggests we should consistently be higher?
What evidence do I need? Do you think being consistently last in the ACC is ok? I'm not saying we need a Top 10 class, but we should be beating out Pitt, BC, Wake, GT at the very least. I understand GT is in a fertile recruiting ground, but to be complacent in always bringing up the rear isn't a good way of building the program.

What evidence do I need? Do you think being consistently last in the ACC is ok? I'm not saying we need a Top 10 class, but we should be beating out Pitt, BC, Wake, GT at the very least. I understand GT is in a fertile recruiting ground, but to be complacent in always bringing up the rear isn't a good way of building the program.
You named 4 schools. That's still the bottom tier. You think getting ahead of Wake or BC will make a big difference on the field? We have ended ahead of them before. We havent consistently beat out Pitt or GT in rankings. There is no evidence of being complacent. We are what we've been the last 20 years.

And don't change the narrative. I never suggested its ok.

Last edited:

why should we be beating these schools? What advantages do we have over them? Look at wakes roster? I bet 60% of it is North Carolina kids. BC is probably 40% kids from Catholic/ Jesuit/ prep or high schools. Pitt has had on field success along and also located in an state that still cares about HS football a lot more than NY.

complacent? Yeah that’s it. It’s reality. Can it get better? Sure it can but thinking we should just be out recruiting any of these schools is crazy. I just don’t get it. That ship sailed 25 years ago

I know some people here love Beck, but have no clue if he can recruit yet. He didn't seem particularly charismatic during his Bowl game interview. I am optimistic he'll be a good OC, but we don't even know that yet.
Charisma is only one dynamic in recruiting.

Pasqualoni was a helluva recruiter for a time, and I don't think anyone would ever accuse him of being charismatic.

why should we be beating these schools? What advantages do we have over them? Look at wakes roster? I bet 60% of it is North Carolina kids. BC is probably 40% kids from Catholic/ Jesuit/ prep or high schools. Pitt has had on field success along and also located in an state that still cares about HS football a lot more than NY.

complacent? Yeah that’s it. It’s reality. Can it get better? Sure it can but thinking we should just be out recruiting any of these schools is crazy. I just don’t get it. That ship sailed 25 years ago
Yep, Pitt is literally in the ACC because the Western PA recruiting grounds were appealing to the southern football-focused schools. If it weren't for that UConn would have been invited.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom