I love the off season banter with regard to transfers coming and going, coordinators leaving | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

I love the off season banter with regard to transfers coming and going, coordinators leaving

why should we be beating these schools? What advantages do we have over them? Look at wakes roster? I bet 60% of it is North Carolina kids. BC is probably 40% kids from Catholic/ Jesuit/ prep or high schools. Pitt has had on field success along and also located in an state that still cares about HS football a lot more than NY.

complacent? Yeah that’s it. It’s reality. Can it get better? Sure it can but thinking we should just be out recruiting any of these schools is crazy. I just don’t get it. That ship sailed 25 years ago
Obviously, this is all Wildhack's fault - those posts are coming along with DB and JW should both go if we don't make a bowl.

One of the things that seem to matter most relative to recruiting, to my way of thinking anyway, is how well the program continues to adapt to the new reality of NIL and the portal going forward. It is our best opportunity to maximize talent acquisition and retention relative to the reality of the obstacles we face with "traditional" recruiting. I put this on par with stacking winning seasons and bowl appearances. Those two things are interrelated and will continue to define our success or lack thereof.

There are no easy fixes.

People act as if only SU loses staff. Everyone loses staff, at every level. The top tier P5 schools lose coordinators to other schools as HCs, and lose staff to the NFL, constantly.

Every tier below that loses coaches as they advance up and across the food chain.

People get so myopic about SU. I get it, that’s the school we follow. But the hysteria is a bit silly. This stuff happens to literally every school at every level.
yeah, but even UGA doesn't lose 3 top assistants in one year, let alone both coordinators... especially to lateral moves

not trying to be a naysayer, but something seems off

yeah, but even UGA doesn't lose 3 top assistants in one year, let alone both coordinators... especially to lateral moves

Clemson lost both coordinators 2 years ago. Both up to HC but still, coaches move.

TCU lost their OC to a lateral move yesterday.

Clemson lost both coordinators 2 years ago.
and look at them now. definitely fell a notch or two this year... which i think is what makes most people uneasy on this board with the changes (i.e. what does it mean for next season?)

but to my point, that was a promotion for both, not a lateral move

Nick Saban has been at Alabama for 16 years. In that time, he's had 7 different defensive coordinator or co-defensive coordinator arrangements and 9 different offensive coordinator or co-offensive coordinator arrangements.

Nick Saban has been at Alabama for 16 years. In that time, he's had 7 different defensive coordinator or co-defensive coordinator arrangements and 9 different offensive coordinator or co-offensive coordinator arrangements.
again, most were promotions. find me the year he lost both to a lateral move.

They don't? I'm not an avid follower of the UGA program, so I have no idea. But you know for sure that UGA, or one of their peer power SEC/B1G programs, has never lost 3 staff members in a year?

again, most were promotions
Charles Kelly just left to go be the DC at Colorado. Josh Gattis left his Co-OC gig to be OC at Michigan. Doug Nussmeier had previously done the OC at Bama to OC at Michigan thing. Tosh Lupoi left to be DL coach for the Browns.

Net net, there's not "something off here." Anae didn't want to work with Dino and White / Monroe got more money.

They don't? I'm not an avid follower of the UGA program, so I have no idea. But you know for sure that UGA, or one of their peer power SEC/B1G programs, has never lost 3 staff members in a year?
Georgia lost 4 assistants after 2021 - Matt Luke retired, Dan Lanning took the Oregon job, Jahmile Addae went to Miami, and Cortez Hankton went to LSU.

But we did plug in a staff loss with Rocky Long. That literally just happened.

I don’t like losing top players. Don’t get me wrong. But it’s also college and players leave, one way or another. It used to be to graduation, now it’s to the portal. It’s reality. We just have to work the portal to our own advantage and plug in guys (which we did at QB and other spots over the past 2 years).
Rocky was a good recovery, but Rocky still is coming from a G5 school in the twilight of his career. He's a good bandaid but a bandaid not the less.

We should be retaining our high ceiling assistants and/or promoting them, and recruiting high ceiling assistants from peer P5 schools like we did with Beck from UVA. What we did with Anae and Beck last season was a show of strength perception wise and it resulted in a really good high ceiling QB coach who is now our OC.

If what has happened this offseason is any indicator, then the long term reality now is that the Power P5 conferences will out buy us on recruits, buy our starters away from us and buy our high ceiling assistants as well. I'm just not pumped about the program soup to nuts being a feeder program to the SEC and B1G, and then chasing down reclamation projects on the field and on the sidelines that didn't work out at those schools. There's a niche to be successful doing that but it's going to make the program a turnstile as far as coaches and players.

Rocky was a good recovery, but Rocky still is coming from a G5 school in the twilight of his career. He's a good bandaid but a bandaid not the less.

We should be retaining our high ceiling assistants and/or promoting them, and recruiting high ceiling assistants from peer P5 schools like we did with Beck from UVA. What we did with Anae and Beck last season was a show of strength perception wise and it resulted in a really good high ceiling QB coach who is now our OC.

If what has happened this offseason is any indicator, then the long term reality now is that the Power P5 conferences will out buy us on recruits, buy our starters away from us and buy our high ceiling assistants as well. I'm just not pumped about the program soup to nuts being a feeder program to the SEC and B1G, and then chasing down reclamation projects on the field and on the sidelines that didn't work out at those schools. There's a niche to be successful doing that but it's going to make the program a turnstile as far as coaches and players.
When it comes to coaching this is nothing new. I don't know how many times I can say that. George DeLeone left for the NFL 25 years ago. We are not a top tier program, and we have always (always, always) lost staff who get jobs at more prestigious, better resourced schools.

The player dynamic is different, obviously. We'll see how it goes. No one expects the portal/NIL process to remain unchanged. I suspect we'll see some new regulations installed in the next year or 2.

I continue to find the gloom of "guys, its over, SU will never be competitive again, don't bother, let's shut the board down" perplexing. I mean any outcome is possible. But losing all hope because a couple guys left via the portal (while more stayed, I'll note), and because we lost 2 staff members to promotions seems weird to me. I'm not counting Anea, he was a short-timer if there ever was one. I'm stunned he came here to begin with.

You mean something seems off, like our head coach is only hanging on because the buyout is too high? The guy has 1 year left on his contract. Lame duck head coach doesn't exactly promote job security for his assistants.

And who did they hire in their place and where did they come from?
Are you going to suggest that UGA as a program is far better than ours? Of course they are.

When it comes to coaching this is nothing new. I don't know how many times I can say that. George DeLeone left for the NFL 25 years ago. We are not a top tier program, and we have always (always, always) lost staff who get jobs at more prestigious, better resourced schools.

The player dynamic is different, obviously. We'll see how it goes. No one expects the portal/NIL process to remain unchanged. I suspect we'll see some new regulations installed in the next year or 2.

I continue to find the gloom of "guys, its over, SU will never be competitive again, don't bother, let's shut the board down" perplexing. I mean any outcome is possible. But losing all hope because a couple guys left via the portal (while more stayed, I'll note), and because we lost 2 staff members to promotions seems weird to me. I'm not counting Anea, he was a short-timer if there ever was one. I'm stunned he came here to begin with.
I don't count Anae either - I didn't expect him to be here longer than a year anyway.

I'll re-iterate what I was told by someone who knows how the AD looks at Babers/Football:

Syracuse is going to spend the absolute most that it can to support Dino Babers and make him successful. That is still not enough to match Big Ten programs but they are not holding anything back.

Now if Dino doesn't make a bowl next season I do think he'll be let go (my opinion).

Are you going to suggest that UGA as a program is far better than ours? Of course they are.
What I'm suggesting is that yes power programs lose assistants but they are far better positioned to replace those assistants with assistants with P5 level experience and high ceilings than we are. We'll be looking at the P5 scrap yard and the G5 and both are much more of a crap shoot.

What I'm suggesting is that yes power programs lose assistants but they are far better positioned to replace those assistants with assistants with P5 level experience and high ceilings than we are. We'll be looking at the P5 scrap yard and the G5 and both are much more of a crap shoot.
OK. Yep, that's been the reality of SU's place in the college football hierarchy for the past several decades.

I mean, this a program that in 1991 lost their head coach to the NFL and replaced him with their linebackers coach.

again, most were promotions. find me the year he lost both to a lateral move.
You are not really watching college football if you don't see all the constant moving of coaches. Its part of the reason why they change the transfer policy and give NIL opportunities to players.

G5 produces plenty of great coaches … just need to find the right one(s). Fickell, Heupel, etc. To say you can’t backfill with a G5 coach isn’t accurate.

Well I didn't say you can't, I said it's more of a crap shoot.
I firmly disagree there are several coaches with solid track records to pull from.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom