I may be off base | Syracusefan.com

I may be off base

orangenauburn

2023 Cali Award Average Attendance
but Jim Valvano and the yearly ESPN slobfest

the guy was a dick in real life - regardless of an illness that affects millions

the guy was a dick in real life - regardless of an illness that affects millions

That's the spirit.

Did he refuse to autograph your t-shirt or something?

I've heard stories about him being kind if a jerk, but you don't think he made up for that in the last 4 months of his life? Ray Lewis killed a guy, and we still praise him..

What made him a scumbag? Besides going to Rutgers.

I thought it was common knowledge that the guy was a scumbag.

I'd never heard that, and I'm old enough to remember watching him on TV coaching NC State. The only negatives I'd heard was about the relatively minor infractions under his watch and his record of recruiting players who fared poorly in the classroom.

"Personal Fouls: The Broken Promises and Shattered Dreams of Big Money Basketball at Jim Valvano's North Carolina State", book by Peter Gollenbock

"Personal Fouls: The Broken Promises and Shattered Dreams of Big Money Basketball at Jim Valvano's North Carolina State", book by Peter Gollenbock

I've read this book a bunch of times. I heard half of it was bullsh1t.

and the other half?
What's the point of going on the attack against this guy tonight? I suppose the irony in what you're doing is lost on you.

The duality of man's nature has been chronicled throughout the ages. There is good and bad in all of us. We have choices as to what aspects of others we focus upon. It's a generally accepted axiom that when something about someone else bothers us it's usually because it's a reflection of some aspect or character defect that we ourselves possess and that the animosity toward the other is actually self loathing.

As a man thinketh... so he is

I choose to try to focus on the inherent good in others. That might not be for everyone, and I can only speak for myself, but for me the world and the people around me are a lot more pleasant when I do so. I don't know much about Jim Valvano but I am happy to celebrate the things he stood for which have been an inspiration to many people who have suffered from the dreaded disease of Cancer. I'm sure that, "Don't give up, don't ever give up" has inspired infinitely more people than the phrase, "The guy was a scumbag"

What's the point of going on the attack against this guy tonight? I suppose the irony in what you're doing is lost on you.
no - it needed to be said

and ESPN ignores the truth (surprise)

when Jim Boeheim passes, will there be a Jimmy B week?

The duality of man's nature has been chronicled throughout the ages. There is good and bad in all of us. We have choices as to what aspects of others we focus upon. It's a generally accepted axiom that when something about someone else bothers us it's usually because it's a reflection of some aspect or character defect that we ourselves possess and that the animosity toward the other is actually self loathing.

As a man thinketh... so he is

I choose to try to focus on the inherent good in others. That might not be for everyone, and I can only speak for myself, but for me the world and the people around me are a lot more pleasant when I do so. I don't know much about Jim Valvano but I am happy to celebrate the things he stood for which have been an inspiration to many people who have suffered from the dreaded disease of Cancer. I'm sure that, "Don't give up, don't ever give up" has inspired infinitely more people than the phrase, "The guy was a scumbag"
very 'Energy Bus' of you ...

God, Marsh, you really do have some college hoops issues
Lol...my bro and I read this book a lot when we were young. I dont know why but it was a book that I read a few times.

I'm old enough to remember Jim V. He was the Cal of his day but without the "play for pay" part. Many of his recruits were borderline "student athletes" and I didn't care much for the guy but I agree that we should let all that rest because he has done more good in death than most of us will do in life.

I suppose this is similar to where people come down on the Lance Armstrong debate. In my mind, every single thing the guy received in his life in athletics, every single thing, was a complete fraud. Yet some will go to their grave claiming that the end result of donations mollifies everything. To each their own I guess.

Valvano, despite assertions in 1990 that the number was higher, I believe it was later proved, graduated a grand total of 3 players in 10 years. He also presided over a point shaving scandal and a cash for shoes scandal.

To my knowledge, he did not have a "dream to defeat cancer" until he was stricken with the disease. While that may not be a sticking point for many, that's something that's always hard to reconcile.

I have been personally effected by the disease, having lost my father 8 years ago to pancreatic cancer, so I'm well aware of the pernicious nature of the condition. I've donated to Jimmy V foundation, along with the Lustgarten foundation, on several occasions, but I can't say I consider the face of either organization (Valvano, posthumously, and James Dolan) a role model in any regard.

Well his foundations has raised millions and touched countless in a very positive way, but he may have cheated at a game, so he's obviously history's greatest monster.

I'm not even going to comment on the original intent of this of post, but without Jimmy V and his "never give up speech" at the ESPY's there would most likely not be a "Coaches vs Cancer" fundraising theme for the American Cancer Society. Many, many millions of dollars have been raised thanks to Coaches vs Cancer and has helped tremendously to raise the concscienceness of this dreaded disease.

You can compare Valvano to Lance Armstrong or even to Bernie Madoff and the great amount of money he raised for charity but it's not about the person, it's about the people that will benefit in the future thanks to the fundraising efforts for a cancer cure.

Many people here have been touched first hand and most people know some friends or family that have beat cancer but how many of you know someone who lost their life to it. That's why cancer and these other diseases needs everyone's help. Not just boyscouts and altar boys.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom