I may be off base | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

I may be off base

Between this thread and the random poster ripping Eric LeGrand for his "dirty hit" that got himself paralyzed in the thread on the football side you guys are in a very compassionate mood today.

P
but Jim Valvano and the yearly ESPN slobfest

the guy was a dick in real life - regardless of an illness that affects millions
Pretty much a dick move, posting this.
What is it you need to prove? That you know more than everyone who is now — so many years after his death — focused on higher level matters in his name? Jesus Christ. Oh, yeah, and by the way, I heard from a guy who heard from a guy who read it on an obscure scroll: Jesus once kicked a puppy. So, you know...

Read this book a few times, and it was a lot of stories from few sources who clearly felt slighted by him (former players). Sensationalized and exaggerated.

I then read (and have since read repeatedly) V's own autobiography. For his admitted faults, he was a decent family guy. Top 3 favorite sports books, though it may be hard to find.

http://www.amazon.com/Valvano-They-..._B001KE2TNG_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1354251242&sr=1-1

The duality of man's nature has been chronicled throughout the ages. There is good and bad in all of us. We have choices as to what aspects of others we focus upon. It's a generally accepted axiom that when something about someone else bothers us it's usually because it's a reflection of some aspect or character defect that we ourselves possess and that the animosity toward the other is actually self loathing.

As a man thinketh... so he is

I choose to try to focus on the inherent good in others. That might not be for everyone, and I can only speak for myself, but for me the world and the people around me are a lot more pleasant when I do so. I don't know much about Jim Valvano but I am happy to celebrate the things he stood for which have been an inspiration to many people who have suffered from the dreaded disease of Cancer. I'm sure that, "Don't give up, don't ever give up" has inspired infinitely more people than the phrase, "The guy was a scumbag"

I'm in constant need of being reminded of these words of wisdom .. thanks

Another tidbit - the writer of Personal Fouls had a terrible time getting it published as it was mostly hearsay and speculation. Valvano had his own book published by a company that refused to do Personal Fouls as they were unable to substantiate many of the stories.

Read this book a few times, and it was a lot of stories from few sources who clearly felt slighted by him (former players). Sensationalized and exaggerated.

I then read (and have since read repeatedly) V's own autobiography. For his admitted faults, he was a decent family guy. Top 3 favorite sports books, though it may be hard to find.

http://www.amazon.com/Valvano-They-..._B001KE2TNG_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1354251242&sr=1-1

Why would a book that you link to and is available for $1.83 be hard to find?

Touché. I wrote that then did eventually find it and didn't edit what I wrote. Outside of Amazon anyway...

These two things are unrelated IMO!!!

Has his name done wonderful things for people in his death? Absolutely. Did he become successful by taking advantage of unprivileged and unintelligent people? If he was a successful college coach during his time he probably did.

Are we judging the man as a coach or as a role model and ambassador for Cancer Research...
Please try and recognize the context. Most board rooms and corner offices are not inhabited by people who volunteer in the soup kitchens. Until they have enough money and time to give back they don't, they use it selfishly that's how people overachieve. It's how it is...

Half the time I read this board I feel like I'm reading about "how it should be"... Other times I'm reading about how it is... The message about seeing the good in people was nice, I'm glad that's what you see (I hope to become more like you) I hope you find good in a 3' blizzard. I look at both sides of people... I do however recognize the context, timing is everything.

I want to thank the original poster for making me aware of the book, I somehow hadn't seen it or forgot about it. It's interesting but I really never cared about what he did as a person or as a coach quite frankly.

His speech is nice and inspirational, but more importantly it helps in humanizing these young selfish kids and hopefully they take notice and get involved in charitable activity once they become adults.

However, the timing of your personal attack was in very poor taste. This week... As oversold as it is, and as sick of it as you are... It is not for you... It's for all the selfish young people coming up, hopefully they listen to it a few times and get inspired.

I read cancer research almost everyday with my career in scientific marketing and as broken as medical research is, we are making HUGE PROGRESS! It's not about you, so change the channel or donate to another charity there are hundreds.

I agree with the initial statement by the original poster. yes. you are off base.

whose life, if held up to a microscope, does not have mis-steps? Now lets get more specific and

and delve into the sordid world of college basketball. Was he really such an outlier? What will people say 20 years from now when they only recall the headlines of scandals at SU during this era? Are they going to realize alot, if not most all, of it was BS? Or are they just going to go with "yeah, lot of crap happened at SU and that program was corrupt and headed by a megalomaniac!"

quick question...

Is Dick Vitale a huge supporter of this program if his name was Jimmy Smithers?

I think not... Dick Vitale serves his own interests and I really think he's a transparent schmuck. I have seen him drop the... you don't know who I am? line to a waitress at a country club. He was having brunch with his wife... No the 23 year old female waitress had no idea he was famous, the schmuck probably called Digiorno after lunch to beg for more airtime. Are you serious...

quick question...

I think not... Dick Vitale serves his own interests and I really think he's a transparent schmuck. I have seen him drop the... you don't know who I am? line to a waitress at a country club. He was having brunch with his wife... No the 23 year old female waitress had no idea he was famous, the schmuck probably called Digiorno after lunch to beg for more airtime. Are you serious...

So what you're saying is " Dick Vitale and the yearly ESPN slobfest... the guy is a dick in real life."

At least you didn't start a new thread to do so.

quick question...

Vitale is harmless. The guy is a pretty good advocate for cancer research. I actually had the pleasure of meeting him about 10 years ago. He spoke at an insurance seminar that we had and I was responsible for taking him to the airport after. He was a real down to earth guy. I even gave him crap about (at the time) about how JB should be in the hall of fame over a guy like John Chaney and we bantered back and forth about it.

He was not a good man, but...the cancer speech narrative overrode everything he did prior.

I get where the original poster is coming from, is it right that this guy gets looked at as a saint for making a speech on his death bed about cancer and the coaching community and ESPN come up with a charity in his honor? I don't know if he was a good or bad person but do remember that he seemed like a typical guy from one of the Boroughs with a hustle. Having said that, I think it's great that everyone comes together to raise money for research.

When you die if you have a huge charity named after you that may have made a difference in many people's lives you don't think that helps the legacy. What does him being a jerk have to do with what happened after he died? Many people have been inspired by his speech.

After I die if I even make 5% of a postmortem impact that he has had I would hope people would be proud.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom