I miss the Big East | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

I miss the Big East

Curious why for the ACC you lists the middle of the pack after the top 2 but for the BE you listed the top 2 but then some garbage teams.
Every school I mentioned in that "middle of the pack" comparison are "middle of the pack" in my book. And the BE is filled with middle of the pack and garbage for the most part in my opinion, which proves my point that I don't miss the Big East one bit. At least in the ACC their "middle of the pack" are at a slightly higher level and will be slightly more interesting match-ups for the fans.

The ACC currently has six schools ranked in the top 70 of the RPI. There are a lot of mediocre teams in the conference this year.

But that kind of basketball league doesn't pay the bills for a football team. That's what we just found out.
Right, that's why my first sentence addressed that. Completely agree with why SU joined, but I don't enjoy it as much.

You know when we'll realize we don't miss the big east? In march when we head into the tourney as a healthy team that hasn't been beaten up in a meat grinder of tourney teams. Many of whom play thuggish, physical ball intended to beat opponents into submission.

Why have the top ACC teams been more successful making final fours? When is the last time you can think of them heading into the tourney with injured star players? We can actually rest players in conference if need be now since we won't have 5 game stretches that have 4 games against tourney teams. We did that 3 times last year and won't do it once this season.

Being in the ACC will net us more final fours in a hurry and hopefully some more 'ships. I expect OOC will step up a bit to make up for lack of difficulty in conference similar to what Duke does.

I miss the old Big East and I'm sure the people who live in the tri-state area like myself will be missing our local trips to UConn, Providence, Seton Hall, Rutgers, Nova and even GTown. I also think the SU team will miss the large crowds of Cuse fans chanting LGO for most of the games!

No doubt about it. Driving distance for many fans and alumni allowed us to take over arenas to a greater extent than I expect we will in the ACC.

I'm not sure why all the fuss over the move to the ACC. The general consensus is that the ACC is weaker than the former almighty Big East. So, if logic serves me correctly then that means a weaker regular season schedule. I would imagine we would have more success. Oh, and that means better recruits and NCAA seeds etc. Better NCAA seeds means better chances at the title. This is a great move.

Every school I mentioned in that "middle of the pack" comparison are "middle of the pack" in my book. And the BE is filled with middle of the pack and garbage for the most part in my opinion, which proves my point that I don't miss the Big East one bit. At least in the ACC their "middle of the pack" are at a slightly higher level and will be slightly more interesting match-ups for the fans.

Yea but we're comparing the ACC to what was the Big East. So you're missing UConn, Pitt, ND etc. of course the ACC with the 4 new schools is better than the current BE. That's not being compared. It's that this ACC isn't as good right now as the old BE was.

Replace G'Town and L'Ville (at least for a year) with Duke and UNC...its a wash with those 2 school.

When it comes to the middle of the pack give me FSU, Miami, NC State, Wake over USF, Cincy, Depaul, and Providence any day of the week.

Hell, SU this year plays, BC, Pitt, ND, St.Johns, Villanova, Miami, VT...that is the Big East to me! We got the best of BOTH worlds!
After Syracuse and Pitt annouced they were going to the ACC, I think the old Big East would still have beat the ACC with Pitt and us in it if we had a showdown. The ACC would have had the advantage at the top with SU, Duke, NC and Pitt but the Big East would still of had the ville, UConn, G-town and Nova. The next wave was advantage Big east with ND, Marq., Cinn., West Virginia. The bottom teams would have sucked for both leagues. The Big East was much better in hoop. Glad we are in the ACC for all of the reasons cited. But just for hoop, we were in the best league ever.

Yea but we're comparing the ACC to what was the Big East. So you're missing UConn, Pitt, ND etc. of course the ACC with the 4 new schools is better than the current BE. That's not being compared. It's that this ACC isn't as good right now as the old BE was.

The ACC is clearly not as good right now as the old Big East. The ACC currently only has six schools ranked in the top 70 of the RPI. When you think of the RPI spots that the 7th and 8th best teams in the Big East used to occupy, it is quite a drop off. I'm looking forward to our first season in the ACC but the eight league games we have scheduled against teams with RPI ratings of 114 or lower, definitely don't excite me much.

Go Cuse!

I certainly miss the old Big East, for basketball and football. All these conference moves are penny smart and sports foolish basically. By that I mean, if the money was the same or about the same, the schools would've been better off staying put.

If the Big East and the ACC were the same as last year here's what they're OOC record would be as of right now (there's very few OOC games left):

BE: 152-49 .7562
ACC: 104-54 .6582

The BE would've won over 75% of their OOC games and the ACC would've won less than two-thirds of theirs --- that's a pretty big difference.

(NOTE: Although I believe that my stats are correct the BE totals might be off by a game or two. If they are that would not affect the BE percentage by more than one point and the comparison would still be valid.)

Basketball games. The Acc is weak and unimpressive. Its gonna be hard to get used too except for playing the obvious Duke n NC , the rest of the conference is just blah and anemic. Im not impressed.

Its def an improvement on the football side but were def taking a back seat on the bball side.

I think this song title fits the sentiments of your thread title. RIP Big East/Michael, you are gone but not forgotten, and unlikely to ever be matched. The BE and MJ are singing to us that we're not alone, they will always be a part of us, in like manner to losing any thing else we have loved. Oddly enough with the timing, a couple of layers of meaning could be similar to U2's New Year's Day.

Last edited:
I miss MSG and having the Big Game being on Saturday night but other than that...no, not really. Once some teams in the ACC beat SU and peeve you off you'll get right back on that hate horse again when it comes to schools. As for depth...give it some time because now kids know the ACC is going to be where it's at and yes, some of the mid level ones have to step up a bit but it'll happen especially once the whole east is slowly taken over recruiting wise.

I miss the old Big East and I'm sure the people who live in the tri-state area like myself will be missing our local trips to UConn, Providence, Seton Hall, Rutgers, Nova and even GTown. I also think the SU team will miss the large crowds of Cuse fans chanting LGO for most of the games!
I guess we'll have to see how that plays out. Two years ago there was plenty of LGO at the NC State game. Their fans were upset we took over their home floor.

The ACC currently has six schools ranked in the top 70 of the RPI. There are a lot of mediocre teams in the conference this year.
Well, you heard what JB thinks of the RPI.

Look back at the Big East Tournament and regular season titles since 2006 when the conference became as dominant as it was
Louisville 3 titles 2009, 2012, 2013
Syracuse 1 title 2006
Georgetown 1 title 2007
Pittsburgh 1 title 2008
West Virginia 1 title 2010
UConn 1 title 2011

Regular Season titles
Georgetown 3 titles(2 outright, 1 co-champion*) 2007, 2008, 2013*
Syracuse 2 titles 2010, 2012
Louisville 2 titles( 1 outright, 1 co-champion) 2009, 2013*
Pittsburgh 1 title 2011
UConn 1 title(co-champion) 2006*
Villanova 1 title(co-champion) 2006*
Marquette 1 title(co-champion) 2013*

Look at where the strength of the Big East was it. It was with the football schools and Georgetown. That is why I have no lovelost leaving the Big East. We will continue playing Villanova practically every year, and Georgetown will cave once the Verizon Center doesn't fillup for any Big East games except Nova/St. John's.

TexanMark brings up the point we need another home game when we don't play @Boston College and we don't need to worry about this because we are playing @Boston College EVERY YEAR now. The ACC made BC-SU protected rivals so we will get 1 game every year @Boston College for the New England alums to get to. Conte Forum will be Carrier Dome East as having spent 3 years in Newton that place is dead for basketball and our NE alums will take it over, and Boston > Providence in terms of location.

The Original Big East died when the double round robin died, and the past few years were the status quo led by Providence College Commissioners who never wanted to fix the problem fully, but keep the status quo as much as they could to get Syracuse, UConn, Louisville, Pitt to fillup the Dunkin Donuts Center, whatever the Seton Hall arena is called, and keep those schools afloat.

At least with the ACC teams at the bottom there is some history recently that makes you think at some point they're going to turn it around. How long can Wake Forest hang on to Jeff Bzdelic?

OTOH I never felt that way with The bottom of the BE.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom