I owe Hubert Davis a big apology | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

I owe Hubert Davis a big apology

The impressive thing with Davis and UNC is that he did a great job addressing the one thing that has held back UNC at times and that is outside shooting. They still were strong inside but also had shooters. They remind me of our 2016 team except Bacot is the healthy, meeting all expectations version of Coleman.

I was torn on the timeouts, but imagine if he didn't call them and his guys had a meltdown. Wasn't Roy Williams known for not taking timeouts. It was a huge stage and he did a good job keeping them in the moment.
Yes Roy often allowed games to get out of hand.

I need to see 5 years out of him (how does he recruit, but this should only help). But I’m ready to eat crow. He has impressed the bell out of me. I thought he was a reach and the next brad Daugherty. He has been awesome in the tournament. The kids are playing extremely hard. I also owe an appology to Baecott. He has been amazing.
The next Brad Daugherty. LOL, I thought his NASCAR career has been quite impressive.

Is there really a motion before the ACC commissioner to change the name of the conference from Atlantic Coast to the Carolina/Duke Conference?

I really thought he was not ready to be a big time coach. He really rallied his guys and now will be coaching these guys in the NC game. Outcoached K in two huge games. Wow.

Let us know when you actually apologize to him. In the meantime, the board accepts your apology. ;):)

Last edited:
Ollie won a title at UCONN his first year and then the wheels came off.
I think HD is FAR better positioned than Ollie for success, but this is the same thing I thought of as well.

Career winning record against K
Love me some Hubert this week! Also, I think Calhoun is the only other coach who can say that. That weirdly really puts K’s career in perspective , impressive but still a rat.

I mentioned this before, but I wonder if Hubert's early success and potentially Schyer's success taking over Duke next year makes it more likely for Wildhack to hire someone like Red.
Yeah, but I hope the AD recognizes Davis’ long NBA experience and ‘brand name’ give him advantages over our career assistants. Big difference, being able to go into a top-ranked recruit’s home as Hubert Davis vs Red Autry. But, I expect us to take the easy/simple/familiar path.

K retiring at exactly the right moment since the game passed him by last night. The game will pass Davis by tomorrow if he loses.

You guys give far too much credit to coaches when they win and far too much blame when they lose. Coaching is important but come on.

You think Jay Bilas would ever give coaching a try? I'd love to entertain Bilas as a Head Coach. Heck, even our head coach.

You think Jay Bilas would ever give coaching a try? I'd love to entertain Bilas as a Head Coach. Heck, even our head coach.
He has a pretty good gig sitting back and being the self-proclaimed smartest person on Earth without actually having to deliver any results. I don't see why he would. But to answer your question no I would never want someone here with zero coaching experience.

His point guard lost the game. Hubert let him do it despite their advantage down low.

Wooshing sound last night was game passing Hubert by. Predictable. No timeout called on that possession that ended with frantic and unneeded 3-point attempts. Bacot injured foot because of poor substitution patterns, blew a 16 point lead, didn't change defenses when KU started scoring. To the dumpster he goes.

I doubt it he was an asst coach under k for a while and gave it up for tv and I believe he practices law as well.

Wooshing sound last night was game passing Hubert by. Predictable. No timeout called on that possession that ended with frantic and unneeded 3-point attempts. Bacot injured foot because of poor substitution patterns, blew a 16 point lead, didn't change defenses when KU started scoring. To the dumpster he goes.
Bacott injured his foot because the floor buckled.

Counterpoint: he missed winning a national title in his first year of coaching by one basket.

Counterpoint: he missed winning a national title in his first year of coaching by one basket.
Agree. I think it's a bit soon to say he's trash.

The second half went about as I expected the entire game to go. KS is just too big and too talented and UNC had a fabulous game plan and it showed in the 1st half. In the 2nd half, KS played the way they are capable of and squeaked out the win.

Great job by a first-year HC.

If you think UNC fans will lower their standards like we are all so willing to do, you’re nuts. One basket might as well be 1,000,000 miles. He’s a burning hulk that needs to be buried under 1000 feet of sand.

Bacott injured his foot because the floor buckled.

Wrong. He and Manimal were totally gassed. Dead legs lead to injuries like that.

If you think UNC fans will lower their standards like we are all so willing to do, you’re nuts. One basket might as well be 1,000,000 miles. He’s a burning hulk that needs to be buried under 1000 feet of sand.
I'm lost. Are we talking about the same guy that had UNC with the lead in the title game with a minute left less than 24 hours ago? And who closed out Coach K's last game at Cameron as well as Coach K's career.

I feel like you're talking about Matt Doherty.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom