I still think we can get to the NCAA tournament | Syracusefan.com

I still think we can get to the NCAA tournament

Cuseball

Starter
Looks bleak but 3 non conference cupcakes and 18 games in the ACC remain. Plenty of opportunities remain. I don’t think we are great but we are getting better. I can see us winning the next three and then going 12-6 in ACC. 20-11 puts you in the mix with no bad losses. Would be one of Jimmys greatest coaching jobs ever if we get in the dance. I still believe!

Cuse!

We definitely have a couple too many losses to 1 and done at the ACCT as usual and still get in. But I see 11-9 in the ACC that gives us a shot.

I can see us getting in too...
tenor.gif

Our only issue is we did nothing out of conference. We had 4 chances to beat other P5 schools and lost all 4 by double digits. We might be able to take advantage of the ACC schedule we have since it’s weak, but now we almost have to win 2 or 3 games against Duke, UVA, UNC, Louisville

Looks bleak but 3 non conference cupcakes and 18 games in the ACC remain. Plenty of opportunities remain. I don’t think we are great but we are getting better. I can see us winning the next three and then going 12-6 in ACC. 20-11 puts you in the mix with no bad losses. Would be one of Jimmys greatest coaching jobs ever if we get in the dance. I still believe!

Cuse!
Love your optimism.

Would be one of Jimmys greatest coaching jobs ever if we get in the dance.

This isn't personal at all and I respect your optimism, but I always find this argument to be cringe-worthy. It implies that JB was randomly assigned these players and he's just trying his best with them. He recruited and built this entire lackluster roster, which is the primary responsibility of his job.

Cuse!
This isn't going to age well. I like your optimism but come on man. We have no center, poor coaching, zone defense which levels the playing field with poor teams, and we're in the ACC. Talk to you in March.

It’s going to be difficult to make the tourney without any good out of conference wins. Actually, it will be near impossible. I won’t give up hope, but about the best we can hope for is a 17-14 season.

One of the things I enjoy most is watching Syracuse in March, I look forward to it every year, but this team is not dancing this year. Our zone is getting picked apart by middle of the road teams, and we are getting almost nothing out of the 5 spot. With no non conference win to hang our hat on it would have to be one hell of a ACC run.

I like to consider myself a pretty optimistic guy, but I will have to see proof that we can compete with a decent team before I entertain any thoughts of this.

Have to agree. Seems pretty optimistic to think we will win all of the ACC games "that we should win" for that scenario to unfold. These other teams may not be great, but they also aren't going to simply roll over and give us the games. We are what our record is beginning to say we are.

This isn't personal at all and I respect your optimism, but I always find this argument to be cringe-worthy. It implies that JB was randomly assigned these players and he's just trying his best with them. He recruited and built this entire lackluster roster, which is the primary responsibility of his job.

I agree with this. the main elements of a successful college basketball coach are recruiting, roster construction, player development and then the game coaching and getting everything possible out of your roster. Getting this team into the dance this year would be excellent game coaching and squeezing everything out of the team. It doesn’t resolve Jimmy of recruiting misses and poor roster construction.

Cuse

At what odds would you put up one weeks salary? I say there is a 10% chance team gets into the tournament. 100 to one? This is the worst team in 20 years. There is very little talent and we haven’t developed anyone since Hopkins left.

If we win 12 ACC games the league should get 4 teams in the dance.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SyraFreed

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom