I still think we can win 6. They are there with the | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

I still think we can win 6. They are there with the

1 turnover and 3 penalties against Pitt.

4 turnovers and 7 penalites against Rutgers.

I can see 3 wins the rest of the way, i have trouble finding 4. We make too many mistakes, mostly mental but week after week of it and it's hard to think they'll just turn it around and stop making mistakes.

I think it's their head now to.

Yesterday was frustrating, but I can't say it was completely unexpected. People are calling for the coaches head after a road loss to a 7 point fave. That doesn't make a lot of sense to me, especially seeing that we have 6 games left, all of which are winnable.

I agree with most of your post but do understand why fans are frustrated to the point where they are calling for coach M's head. I don't agree with it, but do understand it. I also agree with you in that the last six games are winnable. However, what is so frustrating to many (to the point of wanting a coaching change) is that the first six were as well (with the possible exception of USC, although we were in that game too).

On another note, the thing that I really like which amazes me with a 4-2 record that even with all of the frustrating mistakes that we make that have cost us games, we are developing a good product on the field. Even when we are down 20+ points, I believe we can come back. That's fun as a fan, finally! Our D is solid and we actually have a good O (if they would just stop committing the turnovers and penalties!!). I am enjoying watching this team more than any SU team in recent years. I know it eventually comes down to W's, but this is the best SU team we have had in a while. It's a darn shame that our record doesn't show that. Nonetheless, there is still a good opportunity to get to a bowl game and I think they can get it done!

Yeah I know,but I think Marrone as at the point where younger players might get the opportunity if they keep happening. Just the tone of his disgust when talking about this issue in his presser leads me to believe that might be the case

I'll believe it when I see it. And if we are out of bowl contention come the Missouri/Temple game, if Hunt/Loeb/Kinder do not get snaps I am cashing in my SU football fan membership.

People bitching about the 3rd and 12 call are nuts, IMO. When your d is playing well field goals matter.

Really? We don't have a kicker that can hit from outside 40 yards and has been horrible lately. So, yes I will continue to bitch about that 3rd and 12 call. A few yards wouldn't have made a difference. So many other things are to be said about that playcall.

especially seeing that we have 6 games left, all of which are winnable.

My biggest problem; we've had winnable games the last few years and typically we lose those games. I'm excluding the games against akron, maine, tulane for obvious reasons - although some of them have been a little tight at times. To think at this point we're all of a sudden going to win 6 winnable games when we've lost all 3 of our winnable games this year - I just don't see it. Every year I'm looking for something to show we are making strides. Even in the losses this year I thought we were playing better than last year. I was okay with those losses because I expected we would do really well in our BE games. That just isn't evident. This season is feels just like all of the others and that is a problem.

At this point, for me, it's just too hard to think we can get thru a game without the backbreaking mistakes that will hurt us on the scoreboard. If the mistakes were in one area, maybe I'd believe we could fix. But they're all over the place. And the staff has put such a focus on fixing them in practice that I think at this point it's way too far inside the players' heads.

Win 2 games? Maybe. Win 4? I just don't see it.

Our history of how we finish each year is working against us too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I think the errors were forced errors - Rutgers does that to teams and it did it to us yesterday.

Rutgers revealed Ryan's weaknesses.

I think the errors were forced errors - Rutgers does that to teams and it did it to us yesterday.

Ryan's weaknesses have been well known for a while know. Coaches do watch film.

and conference opponents watch more over years

Exploited is a better word I think. Revealed by this Board and the last. Maybe RUUUUU is one of their coaches?

mizzou has to move way up. they are a beaten team by the beast known as the SEC. you know what has to stop? the excuses. I have to do a better job. Yes, you do. So do your assistants. So do your players. Talent, which was a definite issue at the end of the he who shall not be named era, was an issue. So was effort. Those two aspects have been corrected.

there are a beaten up team but its still a road sec game

The issue is that SU has been in every game and our Defense is getting much stronger each game.

Sickening stupid stats but here goes only 1 game we were outdistanced (Pitt) but we finally scored on a costly turnover by them - we can win all six remaining games but we just cannot keep turning the ball over - plain and simple - that is the sole reason we wont win any more games either. Just sickening really the stats below...

SU 596, Northwestern 397.
SU 455, USC 445.
SU 549, Stony Brook 311.
SU 350, Minnesota 337.
Pittsburgh 345, SU 305.
SU 418, Rutgers 237.

Yes, of course.

I guess "revealed" was the wrong word.

"Exposed" was perhaps the better word.

Or maybe "exploited" was the better word.

What I was trying to express is that the Rutgers size and athleticism on defense were able to take advantage yesterday.

The issue is that SU has been in every game and our Defense is getting much stronger each game.

Sickening stupid stats but here goes only 1 game we were outdistanced (Pitt) but we finally scored on a costly turnover by them - we can win all six remaining games but we just cannot keep turning the ball over - plain and simple - that is the sole reason we wont win any more games either. Just sickening really the stats below...

SU 596, Northwestern 397.
SU 455, USC 445.
SU 549, Stony Brook 311.
SU 350, Minnesota 337.
Pittsburgh 345, SU 305.
SU 418, Rutgers 237.

Statistics can be misleading.

I think yesterday's offensive stats are a bit misleading.

Exploited is a better word I think. Revealed by this Board and the last. Maybe RUUUUU is one of their coaches?

Yes, I agree.

"Exploited" is the better word.

I love how we say this after every game..

We need to win NOW. The players should be furious with these never ending mental mistakes.

Games remaining.. Win the next 2 is the start. Nassib has played a handful of good games in 3 years and a handful of miserable games, we just need him to play average and quit turning the ball over So much. Yesterday was atrocious. People bitching about the 3rd and 12 call are nuts, IMO. When your d is playing well field goals matter. Rutgers is a pretty good team and they playedvtheir game yesterday, people here were adamant that nw stunk 7 weeks ago, well they are 6-1

They are one game behind the consensus schedule. The only game I see as less than 50% chance is at Cinci. They will win the next two and at least 2 of the four after that, as long as the don't get as dispirited and quit on the season as this board has.

For the folks who think yards are everything the team is ranked 39th in total offense and 28th in total defense. That's a profile of a team that ends up with 7,8,9 wins.

What SU is right now is a good team with good talent that is unexplosive. There are no easy points out there.

They rarely have a short field because the defense doesn't get turnovers and there aren't any big returns on specials. The offense is very capable of moving the ball on drives, but it takes a lot of plays. Individually the offensive players have trouble in their one on one match ups on 3rd down and in the redzone. TD's like Clarks are few and far between. Every point right now is a struggle and it's hard to overcome gift points on the other side.

Nassib has to throw into some pretty tight windows, do that 45 times there are going to be bad plays, and more so when you are pressing trying to come from behind.

From a capability perspective, this team is light years ahead of where it was when Marrone took over. The rebuild is phase is over, and he has obviously made this team a competitive BCS program again, and that was the first objective of his job.

Now they need to win the second half of the year and keep improving the talent in the program.

I think Ryan "panic atack " Naissib is a lot of the problem. He's been a turnover machine and he simply doesn't have poise or feel for the game. He does things that a 5th year senior should never do.

At this point, for me, it's just too hard to think we can get thru a game without the backbreaking mistakes that will hurt us on the scoreboard. If the mistakes were in one area, maybe I'd believe we could fix. But they're all over the place. And the staff has put such a focus on fixing them in practice that I think at this point it's way too far inside the players' heads.

Win 2 games? Maybe. Win 4? I just don't see it.

Our history of how we finish each year is working against us too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Inside players heads ! I absolutely think we are in that awful place in sports where the players are waiting for something bad to happen instead of thinking we will come through ok. Thats a bad place to be and i expect more of the same .

The only game I see as less than 50% chance is at Cinci.

Are you saying that we should be favored @ South Florida, @ Missouri and at home against 6-0 Louisville?

Are you saying that we should be favored @ South Florida, @ Missouri and at home against 6-0 Louisville?

USF is pretty bad. L'ville is at home and a winnable game, they aren't a great team. Missouri is going to be a shell by the time SU gets there. They are having huge problems on offense.

I didn't say favored, I said 50/50.

They are one game behind the consensus schedule. The only game I see as less than 50% chance is at Cinci. They will win the next two and at least 2 of the four after that, as long as the don't get as dispirited and quit on the season as this board has.

For the folks who think yards are everything the team is ranked 39th in total offense and 28th in total defense. That's a profile of a team that ends up with 7,8,9 wins.

What SU is right now is a good team with good talent that is unexplosive. There are no easy points out there.

They rarely have a short field because the defense doesn't get turnovers and there aren't any big returns on specials. The offense is very capable of moving the ball on drives, but it takes a lot of plays. Individually the offensive players have trouble in their one on one match ups on 3rd down and in the redzone. TD's like Clarks are few and far between. Every point right now is a struggle and it's hard to overcome gift points on the other side.

Nassib has to throw into some pretty tight windows, do that 45 times there are going to be bad plays, and more so when you are pressing trying to come from behind.

From a capability perspective, this team is light years ahead of where it was when Marrone took over. The rebuild is phase is over, and he has obviously made this team a competitive BCS program again, and that was the first objective of his job.

Now they need to win the second half of the year and keep improving the talent in the program.

That is a sober, maybe solid overview of things.

It also makes it more maddening that we re putrid on special teams. That is the area where I would have thought we could have improved the greatest deal the quickest. In truth, we have slid the other way big time.

Not so sure the rebuild is over. The gap between being competitive and generating wins is much tougher to overcome it seems half way through year four.

"For the folks who think yards are everything the team is ranked 39th in total offense and 28th in total defense. That's a profile of a team that ends up with 7,8,9 wins."

Sorry but you have forgot 1/3 of the game and thats special teams. Our special teams are not 7-9 game win material, we cannot return a punt and can barley catch it half the time. Our field goal kicker has become sporadic, we have lost at least two games this year by special teams mistakes. I would dare say our overall special teams is ranked in the hundreds..

you also forgot the intagibles that good teams always seems to come out on and thats protecting the football and keeping the penalties to a minimum. This team is not god at either as we dont create turnovers on defense and we dont protect the ball on offense and that is a pattern not just one game.

The issues on offense and defense can be fixes or minimized, but if you keep getting walloped in the third phase of the game and you keep losing the turnover battle and make dumb penalties in ctritical situations you can have the number one defense and the number one offense and still lose, In fact you can have a jugernaut offense and if you are losusy in one of the other phases you can get crushed(see west Virgina on defense and LSU on Offense).

You simply cannot succeed if one phase of your team stinks like Our specials and you also do nor protect the ball.

If they don't beat storz then game over man. Assuming they do beat the Huskies, USF has a far worse coach/QB combo in Holtz/Daniels, so that is winnable. I don't see them beating Cinci or L'ville, but I give them more of a shot vs. the Cardinals. Missouri will come down to hoping that the Tigers have checked out after a brutal welcome to the SEC season. If SU can get to 5-6 going into Temple I think SU wins that one. If loss #7 happens before Temple then forget it.

If you think our schedule has been tough, then go look at Mizzou's. It will be interesting to see who is the more beat down, demoralized team when we travel to Columbia.

Or really any team in the SEC for that matter: Tennessee for example played Florida, at Georgia at Miss St and still plays Alabama and at South Carolina. Middle of the road big ten teams and Rutgers should very winnable games for the program Syracuse was and should be again!!

I think Ryan "panic atack " Naissib is a lot of the problem. He's been a turnover machine and he simply doesn't have poise or feel for the game. He does things that a 5th year senior should never do.
yeah because 5th yr seniors never make those kind of throws or fumbles.. certainly never nfl all -pro's like phillip Rivers. or Mike Vick or Payton Manning

Look at WV .. Geno is all world.. until a team like SU or TT dont let him throw to wide open rcvrs all day.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseVegas

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom