i think I have our recruiting down pat | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

i think I have our recruiting down pat

Some of this is revisionist history. His composite RSCI ranking was 89, so he WAS in the top 100, and if you go on the recruiting board and pull up his thread, there were A TON of SU fans going crazy over him before he played a minute for SU, and early reports from practice hyped him up plenty. The post-transfer reactions have been over-the-top with hyperbole in a lot of cases like you point out, but much of your post is factually wrong.

I did that last week for the hell of it. Yes there were some fans that were high on him but there were some that thought it was plan b and had some reservations. Then I looked at Girard. People were gaga over him. The hype over girards signing was far far greater. You’d have thought we signed god.

I did that last week for the hell of it. Yes there were some fans that were high on him but there were some that thought it was plan b and had some reservations. Then I looked at Girard. People were gaga over him. The hype over girards signing was far far greater. You’d have thought we signed god.
Does God need to sign an NLI, or does he get a pass? :D

If we don't land a top 50 kid, the coaches can't close. We can't get good kids anymore.
If we do land a top 50 kid, doesn't really matter, they will not ever make to to Syracuse.
If we get a kid that falls somewhere between 80 and 120, of course we got him. Look who we are recruiting for him against. Plus
he sucks.
That about cover it?
Now the problem is that we can’t even hold onto the underrated top 100 recruits that we do land and who come in and meet or exceed expectations (Kadary) and who we’d never expect to transfer in the past. We never used to lose top players like Kadary before to transfer. We lost players with potential.

You yourself have said many times over the past few months that JB is the problem in recruiting and roster management and now player retention. Great coach and tactician, but struggles to recruit and connect with kids anymore.

Last edited:
Now the problem is that we can’t even hold onto the underrated top 100 recruits that we do land and who come in and meet or exceed expectations (Kadary) and who we’d never expect to transfer in the past. We never used to lose top players like Kadary before to transfer.

You yourself have said many times over the past few months that JB is the problem in recruiting and roster management and now player retention. Great coach and tactician, but struggles to recruit and connect with kids anymore.
We have, along with every other program, lost non starters for the last 50 years. I think this will play out alright for us.

Yea, but look at the Kadary thread last winter and spring during and after his prep year at Brewster, especially last February/ March during the NEPSAC playoffs when Kadary absolutely killed it. There was lots of video from that run and posters who had seen him play in person. They and NEPSAC and recruiting analysts said that he was playing like the best guy on that loaded Brewster team, including Terrence Clarke. At that point the kid was being hyped for tangible reasons. You could tell what a stud PG he was gonna be for us, much better than what Girard offered. He had better dribbling and passing skills than any PG we’ve had in years. Those crossover, hesitation and spin moves alone! That’s why I wasn’t too worried about losing Goodine, other than he had good potential and could eventually develop here. honestly, Kadary could have been an elite PG for us next season. The big question with him is will he work hard enough to achieve what he’s capable of? Even his South Shore coach has wondered about that.

Last edited:
We have, along with every other program, lost non starters for the last 50 years. I think this will play out alright for us.
Disagree. We’ve never lost a player like Kadary. I remember being bummed when we lost guys like Keith Hughes or Tony Scott in the past. But we had better players ahead of them so it was understandable and didn’t sting nearly as bad. They weren’t the best PG and the second best player on the team, which Kadary was poised to be next season.

Last edited:
Yea, but look at the Kadary thread last winter and spring during and after his prep year at Brewster, especially last February/ March during the NEPSAC playoffs when Kadary absolutely killed it. There was lots of video from that run and posters who had seen him play in person. They and NEPSAC and recruiting analysts said that he was playing like the best guy on that loaded Brewster team, including Terrence Clarke. At that point the kid was being hyped for tangible reasons. You could tell what a stud PG he was gonna be for us, much better than what Girard offered. He had better dribbling and passing skills than any PG we’ve had in years. Those crossover, hesitation and spin moves alone! That’s why I wasn’t too worried about losing Goodine, other than I thought he had good potential and could eventually develop here. I mean, honestly, Kadary could have been an elite PG for us next season. The big question with him is will he work hard enough to achieve what he’s capable of? Even his South Shore coach has wondered about that.

read completely both threads.

East Regionals are at MSG in 2023, just saying’...

They may not be. I saw on PTI the other day some scuttlebut about the NCAA possibly moving the regionals and Final four to the same city in future years.

They may not be. I saw on PTI the other day some scuttlebut about the NCAA possibly moving the regionals and Final four to the same city in future years.

saw the same, but not PTI. Can’t remember where.

Every time I see this thread title, I'm thinking Dasher is going to make a joke about leaving the recruiting to Pat.

It would make for a more interesting thread as well.

Should we revisit the Dior thread where everyone was crowing about how his commitment signaled SU's return to dominance and every person who ever said a critical word about JAB and recruiting as giant idiot?

I really don't understand the purpose of these threads. But if it brightens your day, have at it, doesn't change anything.
Since when does any thread ever change anything? :)

Now the problem is that we can’t even hold onto the underrated top 100 recruits that we do land and who come in and meet or exceed expectations (Kadary) and who we’d never expect to transfer in the past. We never used to lose top players like Kadary before to transfer. We lost players with potential.You yourself have said many times over the past few months that JB is the problem in recruiting and roster management and now player retention. Great coach and tactician, but struggles to recruit and connect with kids anymore.
The portal has changed college athletics.

Now the problem is that we can’t even hold onto the underrated top 100 recruits that we do land and who come in and meet or exceed expectations (Kadary) and who we’d never expect to transfer in the past. We never used to lose top players like Kadary before to transfer. We lost players with potential.

It’s not just us. There’s nearly 1300 kids in the portal. There must be a lot of non connecting with players going on.

The best solution I read was you can’t transfer until after your sophomore year without sitting for a year. By the end of your sophomore year players should have a pretty good idea how they fit in with their current team.

Symir and Cole are veteran players who seem to be all in on playing for JB.

Not to get ahead of ourselves but I have to give this staff credit where it’s due. I’ve been critical of them, sometimes rightfully so, sometimes probably a bit much and it’s just emotion and wanting to be where we use to be. But this last week with the departures the staff is setting this team up PERFECT for the 2022 season. I’m still a little skeptical for next year, I could be surprised, I wasn’t as big on Cole Swider as many people were but the more film I watched he could be a great pick and pop guy here. He’s not as athletic as lydon but he can definitely be used similarly. Now we know a lot can obviously happen between now and 2022 but how about this for a team/lineup/rotation that honestly seems very realistic.

2022 team
PG-Girard
SG-Buddy (if he stays a 5th year)
SF-Benny Williams
PF-Cole Swider
C-Jesse Edwards (he could potentially be a 2nd year starter by this point)

Bench
Symir Torrence
Justin Taylor (think we land him)
Kamari Lands
Quadir Copeland (think we land him)
Donovan or Marquis Brown (think we get 1 of the 2)

Possibly Ty Rogers and Frank (if he stays)

I also think we land another transfer or 2 this off season so it’ll depend on if they stick around for the 2022 season as well. LOTS of moving parts but our staff is actually doing a great job of putting us in position to be ELITE once you really write the potential of the roster down like this. Like I was saying, TONS can happen between now and 2022 but this is pretty realistic.

That team would also be the perfect balance of experience and youth. As well as shooting and athleticism, we would be able to beat teams multiple ways. Damn I hope this happens
Better be like 2003 where Duany started every game but Billy came in and finished it. JG3 needs to be as big a person as Duany our Senior who put team 1st.

Do you and Dasher care to revisit the roster management criticism? It appears to me JB is really getting the house in order before his departure. Only one area left now, the point guard. Otherwise:

Centers - Sid - senior, last yr, Jesse - 3 years left, Frank 4 years left. Nice.
Forwards - QG one yr left, Jimmy Jr - one yr, Cole 2 years, Benny 2-3 expected yrs, K Lands 2-3 yrs
Guards - Buddy 2 yrs left, JG3 - 3 yrs left, Symir 2 yrs left. The young stud guard is missing (Kadary hurt, Dior too). Huge opening for a stud 4-5 star pg.

This has the look of the old JB progression. Winning teams for years on end because he had put in place rosters just like this. Are you still going to roll with JB is the problem in roster management?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom