I think Im done with recruiting | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

I think Im done with recruiting

So tired of the whole recruiting process. Esp with the nil. Im too old for this crap.
Yeah, I totally get your position. The thought of clicking on a recruiting thread just isn't very appealing to me right now either. I'm starting to feel a bit like...

Charlie Brown Football GIF

I’m all for these players making money off their likeness, but I think for me personally I’ve already been losing interest in college sports and really only follow Syracuse at this point. The way bigger schools will be using NIL I think will make college sports only about the big southern and Midwestern state schools, which is a shame but I guess that’s the way it is.

I’m all for these players making money off their likeness, but I think for me personally I’ve already been losing interest in college sports and really only follow Syracuse at this point. The way bigger schools will be using NIL I think will make college sports only about the big southern and Midwestern state schools, which is a shame but I guess that’s the way it is.

it’s been that way for a long long time now. The idea this is anything new is laughable.

So tired of the whole recruiting process. Esp with the nil. Im too old for this crap.

Truth be told, I rarely come to the recruiting board. Maybe if somebody tells me that a particular player is about to decide or something but rarely otherwise. At some point along the way I decided that it wasn't dignified for someone my age to get emotionally involved in the whims of 17 year old kids that I was unrelated to before they decided to come to SU. After they sign a LOI I might pay attention to them a bit, but really, not as much as most here. Once they put on the uniform, sure, but before that they get enough attention as it is without needing mine.

it’s been that way for a long long time now. The idea this is anything new is laughable.
I agree completely, just think this magnifies it further.

The “Golden Age” of college BB is over.
It died pre-Covid !
Yes, there have alway been cheaters, and users in the college game.
Yes, schools have always bent or broken the rules, but we are about to see the last gasp of semi amateur athletes. Yeah yeah yeah, there hasn’t been true college amateur athletes in decades, if even then !
Yes, I am losing interest in pretty much all sports these days. I also am not against a player being compensated in some way. But, this is Dodge City circa 1870’s !
Hope I’m wrong, loved it while it lasted !

Last edited:
I'm with you. I'm just going to wait until the kids who actually honor their commitments show up, and then cheer for them.

I'm just tired of getting excited about kids who don't. I know this has always been a thing, but it feels much much worse now.
This is exactly me. I'm tired of hearing about the potential only to have it squashed. Used to be they showed up and weren't half of what people claimed. (Except Kadary, he was even better) Now they don't even show up.

I just don’t get that emotionally invested in it anymore. The news didn’t really upset me, although the thought of NIL being a recruiting tool did throw me off a bit.

I think as I get older, it gets easier to not get too worked up about this stuff anymore.

I just don’t get that emotionally invested in it anymore. The news didn’t really upset me, although the thought of NIL being a recruiting tool did throw me off a bit.

I think as I get older, it gets easier to not get too worked up about this stuff anymore.
Totally. Shoot the kids just wanna get paid. So be it.

I am definitely not against kids getting paid.
But those places already exist, they are called the “G” League. Oh yeah, throw Europe and Asia into the mix as well.
No shortage of places to get paid already!
Oops, almost forgot, throw in LSU, Bama, Kentucky and the list goes on and on !

if you guys really care if these players get paid than that's your issue lol. If you get mad about players decommiting, why? First of all, I know most of you don't follow high school basketball recruiting like I do. Kamari decommiting helps us more than it hurts us. Kamari is a solid player sure, but he's not game changing. He's your typical Syracuse wing that's a good shooter and facilitator, and rebounds well for the position . But he has glaring issues. He's an abysmal playmaker and doesn't know where anyone is on the floor besides himself. His defense is lackadaisical to say the least. Why do we need that when we can get someone like Dominic Barlow? Yes the shooting may not be there compared to Lands but everyone else on the floor can shoot besides the likes of Frank and Bol Ajak. Barlow is a fantastic facilitator, good rebounder, much better playmaker, and a solid defender. He really doesn't have a weakness in his game. Those are the type of players we need to take that next step like we did back when we were a top 10 team. The prototypical Syracuse wing hasn't won games. That's why I love Benny. If stays back another year it'd be a miracle but he changes the landscape for us. Besides Barlow, it opens it up for other options. Chance was hesitant and leaning towards LSU after Quadir committed that's 3 guys that could play his position. Now slide JT to the 3 and you got a starting spot for Chance. I think it benefits us with JJ too because it guarantees him a starting spot. We're also in a great position for guys like Chris Bunch, Peter Carey, and who knows maybe Kamari decides he made the wrong decision. It's very unlikely but it's happened before. Anyways there's my insight on the situation. Hopefully that gives you some more hope. Ive said it since the beginning this will be a top 10 regardless of decommits. Transfers included too, this class is going to be fantastic

Maybe we should consider that social media has made the out of control egos of 17 year old sports superstars even worse?
Yeah, wouldn’t blame the kid. It’s the system and lack of adults in positions of power that failed college athletics. I wouldn’t have handled any of this stuff any better at 17

We will be OK. I expect JB to land another solid kid and fill via the portal.

The envelopes will still fly (FEDEX) the bags will still drop (ZION) and the rich will get richer. Rumor is the players can hire a NIL agent to line up the best deal before they sign so the school and coaches hands are clean. what a wonderful world.

if you guys really care if these players get paid than that's your issue lol. If you get mad about players decommiting, why? First of all, I know most of you don't follow high school basketball recruiting like I do. Kamari decommiting helps us more than it hurts us. Kamari is a solid player sure, but he's not game changing. He's your typical Syracuse wing that's a good shooter and facilitator, and rebounds well for the position . But he has glaring issues. He's an abysmal playmaker and doesn't know where anyone is on the floor besides himself. His defense is lackadaisical to say the least. Why do we need that when we can get someone like Dominic Barlow? Yes the shooting may not be there compared to Lands but everyone else on the floor can shoot besides the likes of Frank and Bol Ajak. Barlow is a fantastic facilitator, good rebounder, much better playmaker, and a solid defender. He really doesn't have a weakness in his game. Those are the type of players we need to take that next step like we did back when we were a top 10 team. The prototypical Syracuse wing hasn't won games. That's why I love Benny. If stays back another year it'd be a miracle but he changes the landscape for us. Besides Barlow, it opens it up for other options. Chance was hesitant and leaning towards LSU after Quadir committed that's 3 guys that could play his position. Now slide JT to the 3 and you got a starting spot for Chance. I think it benefits us with JJ too because it guarantees him a starting spot. We're also in a great position for guys like Chris Bunch, Peter Carey, and who knows maybe Kamari decides he made the wrong decision. It's very unlikely but it's happened before. Anyways there's my insight on the situation. Hopefully that gives you some more hope. Ive said it since the beginning this will be a top 10 regardless of decommits. Transfers included too, this class is going to be fantastic

First, I'm fine with the kids doing what they want. I'm with you there. If anyone felt there was some sort of purity before the NIL, I'm not sure what to tell them. If you root for high level D1 sports, you are either willfully ignorant of what goes on or just accept it. I've accepted it.

Back to the team make up, I don't care how we get there, but we need to solidify the back court for '22. I would feel much better if we landed Chance (I'm assuming that is a slim possibility but not dead) or JJ (feeling a little more optimistic there, but not something I'd bet on at all).

I promise I'm not trying to turn this into a pie fight, but I just am worried about either incumbents (Symir, JGIII) leveling up or Quadir being polished from day one (I want to be clear, I love Quadir, I think he can be All ACC, I just don't think he's good to go from day one in big minutes).

Best case, imo, that is realistic, is that JGIII becomes our poor man's Kyle Lowry (I've said this before; meaning that he becomes a more hybrid facilitator & clutch/smart shooter, use his strength and savvy to help us), we land JJ and then we have a seasoned Symir and Quadir who can get us spot minutes.

The only thing I'd say is that until proven, I am not assuming anyone will be a great shooter in '22. Call me cynical, but that's where I stand.

I still have a lot of hope for the '22 class. I love the class so far, but we need to round it out and obviously a huge variable is Benny staying a second season, as you stated. The seeds are there, we just need to bring it home.

Appreciate all the info you share out here. Fingers crossed for this '22 class.

if you guys really care if these players get paid than that's your issue lol. If you get mad about players decommiting, why? First of all, I know most of you don't follow high school basketball recruiting like I do. Kamari decommiting helps us more than it hurts us. Kamari is a solid player sure, but he's not game changing. He's your typical Syracuse wing that's a good shooter and facilitator, and rebounds well for the position . But he has glaring issues. He's an abysmal playmaker and doesn't know where anyone is on the floor besides himself. His defense is lackadaisical to say the least.
Yup. There is a reason why his handle is Iso Mari.

Yeah, I'm really not sure how some think the NIL all of a sudden corrupted this pretend sanctity of amateurism for these revenue-generating sports (and, if we're being honest, even some non-revenue generating sports).

There has been a de facto divorced tier of top college football teams for a decade now, which we are not a part of.

UK and Duke have so far outpaced the rest of the NCAA in top talent in recruiting, they each have more than double the next team's players on NBA rosters. They total around $2Bn in NBA contracts between those two teams and the players they sent to the NBA.

I dunno, the landscape is what it is. I'll always root for Cuse, but what college sports looks like in the future, who knows.

I think one of the bigger questions is how to strategize player recruitment moving forward. We have had issues in the 4-5 years getting the top 20-30 type kids on campus, much of which I personally do not believe to be the fault of our coaching staff, jmho. But, lots of time and energy have gone into recuiting these kids which could have been spent elsewhere. Hindsight is always 20-20 but is it worth spending those resources (barring the assumption Weisman does not get involved with NIL) elsewhere? Do we focus more on the 50-100 range type recruits? More developmental players? I wonder, while we have always targeted this range of talent, is it time to move further away from the top talent we have also pursued in previous years if we are not significant players in the NIL marketplace

Truth be told, I rarely come to the recruiting board. Maybe if somebody tells me that a particular player is about to decide or something but rarely otherwise. At some point along the way I decided that it wasn't dignified for someone my age to get emotionally involved in the whims of 17 year old kids that I was unrelated to before they decided to come to SU. After they sign a LOI I might pay attention to them a bit, but really, not as much as most here. Once they put on the uniform, sure, but before that they get enough attention as it is without needing mine.

As usual, the voice of reason.

I can't seem to find the Barlow thread to see if there is any news.

Probably a stupid question, what is the difference between decommitting after a verbal (Lands & Dior) vs after a signed commitment (Brazley), is there any real difference?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom