I think Im done with recruiting | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

I think Im done with recruiting

Probably a stupid question, what is the difference between decommitting after a verbal (Lands & Dior) vs after a signed commitment (Brazley), is there any real difference?

They have to be given permission to get out of a signed NLI.

(which almost always is granted - but Jason Hart was an example of one we did NOT allow to leave)

Verbal? Just words.
Not enforceable.

I'm not decommitting from cuse bball just the sleazy recruiting process.

... which means you're decommitting from Cuse Bball, since crootin is what makes it all go.

Probably a stupid question, what is the difference between decommitting after a verbal (Lands & Dior) vs after a signed commitment (Brazley), is there any real difference?
I look at it this way the loi is like signing a contract. Very few kids want out after signing. Kids back out if verbal all the time really can't hold it against them. I will always hold it against barely. It's like signing a contract to work somewhere and then taking another job. Bad look.

Lol and here you stay!

For me to stay, I'm looking for a 12 pack of Labatt Blue Light bottles, a Tres Ninos combo plate from Dino BBQ (preferably Cuse location, but will accept Harlem), a pass to the NY State Fair and for someone to re-open Maggie's Tavern up on Marshall St area.

If not, then I'm de-committing and opening up my message board recruitment. My short list is NBA Reddit (going straight to the pros, baby) or FSU (almost went there for college, loved the weather and campus).

Please respect my privacy at this time.

For me to stay, I'm looking for a 12 pack of Labatt Blue Light bottles, a Tres Ninos combo plate from Dino BBQ (preferably Cuse location, but will accept Harlem), a pass to the NY State Fair and for someone to re-open Maggie's Tavern up on Marshall St area.

If not, then I'm de-committing and opening up my message board recruitment. My short list is NBA Reddit (going straight to the pros, baby) or FSU (almost went there for college, loved the weather and campus).

Please respect my privacy at this time.

In all honesty that is a pretty cheap date. Broome CC would even be able to make that happen.

In all honesty that is a pretty cheap date. Broome CC would even be able to make that happen.

Listen, at heart I'm an upstate NYer that enjoyed drinking in the woods, I don't need much... BUT, if we're asking for more...

I should have included a hot air balloon ride at SpiedieFest, a year-long supply of Wegman's subs and if someone could bring me an open-faced reuben from Danzer's, I'd commit on the spot.

Listen, at heart I'm an upstate NYer that enjoyed drinking in the woods, I don't need much... BUT, if we're asking for more...

I should have included a hot air balloon ride at SpiedieFest, a year-long supply of Wegman's subs and if someone could bring me an open-faced reuben from Danzer's, I'd commit on the spot.

Yeah CNY and NEPA are the same that way. Simple pleasures. Looking forward to Spiediefest this year.

It’s just so crazy some people think this NIL stuff is greed. Next time you get offered a promotion at your job, be sure to turn it down so a bunch of people you don’t know are happy about it. Why can’t these kids do what’s best for them and get what they actually deserve and take care of their families ? Us fans are not owed anything by these recruits, stop thinking that please. Recruiting has changed and will change and continue to affect SU until they start helping these kids realize what opportunities are out there
I just don't think NIL is just a pure reflection of capitalism. It's just taking the previous game of seedy back alley payments and legalizing them and pulling them into the light. They are just saying its ok for rich alumni business owners to lure talented football players with payments for using their name image or likeness. Here's 50K for taking a picture of you and using it for online advertising. What's to keep the alumni from overpaying for NIL too? Nothing. It's not capitalism, it's influence peddling.
It's icky.

I just don't think NIL is just a pure reflection of capitalism. It's just taking the previous game of seedy back alley payments and legalizing them and pulling them into the light. They are just saying its ok for rich alumni business owners to lure talented football players with payments for using their name image or likeness. Here's 50K for taking a picture of you and using it for online advertising. What's to keep the alumni from overpaying for NIL too? Nothing. It's not capitalism, it's influence peddling.
It's icky.

I'm not trying to be snarky, what do you think it would look like if we just dismissed any and all regulation for the athletes and allowed them to get any money within normal legal means?

The NCAA has had years and years to address this issue ahead of where we are now and did the bare minimum.

The thing for me is that there is already a deep and existing discrepancy in tiers for teams in both football and basketball. The same four teams or so have been the same four teams or so for a decade now in football. Duke and UK are wildly outpacing all other teams in basketball. It is already happening. Those things didn't happen by chance. I just don't think the NIL is going to be that seismic in changing the current landscape as it pertains to the power structure and tiers of teams.

I really am hoping that the NBA drops the HS rule and the G-League gets to a point where the top guys just go pro. For football, I dunno. We're in the midst of the SEC grabbing UT and OU and an alliance of some sorts between the B1G, Pac and ACC. That, to me, is much more concerning than any NIL stuff.

I root for Syracuse. I'll root for them whether they land at the big boy table or not. That's just me. I've lost the itch to watch a random college basketball game. I just don't particularly like the college game (again, just my own thing). For football, I'll still watch. I still dig it on the college level.

The NIL does nothing to change what I think is a system that was corrupt through and through and is just barely breaking into something that is more on the level. But I have no vision that the NIL would even any playing field. I'm assuming Bama, Clemson, OSU, Georgia (and then maybe an Oregon or Notre Dame) will just continue to roll.

It's the aftermath. Im talking about going forward.
Just treat it like a debauchery game, only more serious.
eg. When a player commits, spend 2 days with some middle of the road tequilla. When a player de-commits, you get to go on a 2 week bender with only ouzo and weed.
When they sign an LOI, top shelf bourbon for the remainder of the month etc..
When the season starts, then you can have a real party and it makes the recruiting process more interesting.

eg. When a player commits, spend 2 days with some middle of the road tequilla. When a player de-commits, you get to go on a 2 week bender with only ouzo and weed.
When the season starts, then you can have a real party and it makes the recruiting process more interesting.
Oh.

So act like CuseTroop.

I'm not trying to be snarky, what do you think it would look like if we just dismissed any and all regulation for the athletes and allowed them to get any money within normal legal means?
Then colleges would be running professional leagues with no classes or education required.
If players don't want to have anything to do with class or the well known benefits of higher education then go pro. I agree totally with you the colleges messed their own system by making silly rules then not enforcing them equally, and then funding systems to help all players with the resources needed by the players. But I think we really dismiss the benefits players having used college football for football and education, and then blaming them solely for not earning money for the few years they are there.

if you guys really care if these players get paid than that's your issue lol. If you get mad about players decommiting, why? First of all, I know most of you don't follow high school basketball recruiting like I do. Kamari decommiting helps us more than it hurts us. Kamari is a solid player sure, but he's not game changing. He's your typical Syracuse wing that's a good shooter and facilitator, and rebounds well for the position . But he has glaring issues. He's an abysmal playmaker and doesn't know where anyone is on the floor besides himself. His defense is lackadaisical to say the least. Why do we need that when we can get someone like Dominic Barlow? Yes the shooting may not be there compared to Lands but everyone else on the floor can shoot besides the likes of Frank and Bol Ajak. Barlow is a fantastic facilitator, good rebounder, much better playmaker, and a solid defender. He really doesn't have a weakness in his game. Those are the type of players we need to take that next step like we did back when we were a top 10 team. The prototypical Syracuse wing hasn't won games. That's why I love Benny. If stays back another year it'd be a miracle but he changes the landscape for us. Besides Barlow, it opens it up for other options. Chance was hesitant and leaning towards LSU after Quadir committed that's 3 guys that could play his position. Now slide JT to the 3 and you got a starting spot for Chance. I think it benefits us with JJ too because it guarantees him a starting spot. We're also in a great position for guys like Chris Bunch, Peter Carey, and who knows maybe Kamari decides he made the wrong decision. It's very unlikely but it's happened before. Anyways there's my insight on the situation. Hopefully that gives you some more hope. Ive said it since the beginning this will be a top 10 regardless of decommits. Transfers included too, this class is going to be fantastic
100 likes for this. And people here are going to be surprised how good Benny is.

Im not sure my liver can handle a syracuse recruiting drinking regimen on top of my usual drinking habits.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom