I think Im done with recruiting | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

I think Im done with recruiting

Just yesterday I said that I was probably going to follow suit. However, today, I found myself reading recruitment threads again. I think I have a problem.

Hi, my name is Nick and I am an Orangeaholic.
Orangeaholic? Love it, me too!

Then colleges would be running professional leagues with no classes or education required.
If players don't want to have anything to do with class or the well known benefits of higher education then go pro. I agree totally with you the colleges messed their own system by making silly rules then not enforcing them equally, and then funding systems to help all players with the resources needed by the players. But I think we really dismiss the benefits players having used college football for football and education, and then blaming them solely for not earning money for the few years they are there.

I definitely don't dismiss the benefits of the college experience and education received, especially for football where even the best players have to stay three years.

My larger point was that I've never thought there was some purity to big time college athletics because, well, there hasn't been.

And, if the NIL is the first avenue in cracking the veneer of amateurism that is BS, then so be it. It's not perfect, but it's what we have at the moment.

Yes, it's not pure capitalism, but not many things are. When coaches that have 8 figure contracts or NCAA administrators that make high six figures or even seven figure salaries or assistant coaches that are making $2 or $3M a year are the only ones benefitting from a monetary benefit that is above board, I just don't have any sympathy when the players finally get a cut (and it's not even from the same pool as those mentioned above!).

I get the players get scholarships, room and board, stipends, etc. But let's be real, those are basically fringe benefits to the salary that you would want in an equivalent situation in the real world, right? And, if people are so keen on the benefits listed, go talk to the guy on the team that wants to be a math major or engineering major and see what the response is most of the time from coaches.

Point being, the day of reckoning is coming. We are in the midst of a massive power play by the conferences, huge contracts for the coaches and the system that has allowed for massive under the table payments/benefits that **everyone knows about** to finally be truly disrupted.

I hate it as a Syracuse fan. I want stability and to just see my team win 6+ games a year and go to a bowl game. However, outside of me being a fan, I'm all for this. While it isn't the best solution, it's something. How do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time.

Just my 0.02.

PS - with all that said, if we get JJ Starling, you better believe I'm going to be on here celebrating like I won the lottery. Am I hypocritical? Probably. I definitely compartmentalize my "fan of SU" with "screw the system".

Some good points here, my friend. I have to say, I think SU still has a solid shot at Starling. I know he has an offer from Duke and many others, and if he takes a visit to the Blue Devils, that's worrisome (a UNC offer would be, too). But I think his skill-set can match up well with Quadir and Justin. I don't think Quadir committing makes Starling head elsewhere, in and of itself!

I gotta laugh, some here are taking the time to explain that big time college athletes isn’t pure.
Yeah, no kidding, yeah, stop the presses at the New York Times.
No one that finds his/her way to this board I’d have to believe thinks there is any purity in big time BB, or FB.
To have that viewpoint you would have to be living under a rock these past many decades, or be hopelessly intellectually adrift.
The issue isn’t about purity in BB or FB.
I believe what is being discussed is, a paradigm shift that is taking us to another completely different level.
Yes, I truly have no problem with kids getting paid. My problem is the NIL is going to make the rich richer and the poor poorer ! The larger markets (which SU is not part of) will provide the cash needed to acquire the top talent. Maybe Syracuse would be an except to the rule, but I skeptical at best that happens.
I also can just imagine the new “team chemistry”
Issues that are sure to present themselves in the coming years, should be interesting to watch !

$$$$$$$, and the never ending chase for it !
It really is as simple as that !

I gotta laugh, some here are taking the time to explain that big time college athletes isn’t pure.
No one that finds his/her way to this board I’d have to believe thinks there is any purity in big time BB, or FB.
To have that viewpoint you would have to be living under a rock these past many decades, or be hopelessly intellectually adrift.
I believe what is being discussed is, a paradigm shift that is taking us to another completely different level.
Yes, I truly have no problem with kids getting paid. My problem is the NIL is going to make the rich richer and the poor poorer ! The larger markets (which SU is not part of) will provide the cash needed to acquire the top talent. Maybe Syracuse would be an except to the rule, but I skeptical at best that happens.
Issues that are sure to present themselves in the coming years, should be interesting to watch !

I missed your posts trying to stop the build of the Melo center and the dome rebuild.

I will not enter a food fight with you !
You don’t know my politics or you would revise your statement.

I will not enter a food fight with you !
You don’t know my politics or you would revise your statement.
Lol...politics? what?

ill break it down for you slowly. We (Syracuse) were able to achieve and succeed due to entering the arms race for facilities, be a part of the in crowd with the conference realignments, etc.

for our fanbase to cry about things being unfair now is embarrassing to me. we still have plenty we can play ball with.

Larger markets??? Tuscaloosa? Clemson? Athens? Do you mean power programs?

The big programs have already separated themselves in football. Bama then Clemson then UGA/OSU/Oklahoma are basically in their own league as it stands (you can throw in Oregon, maybe ND, whatever). Do you really think the NIL is the straw that breaks the camel's back? Those guys are operating in economies that we can't even dream of at Syracuse and have been for a while, and there has been a divorce in tiers like that dating back forever. FSU was finished in the top 5 like 14 years in a row at one point. You think they did that with grit and grind? Oh, btw, Bobby Bowden, when being interviewed by Michael Irvin, joked about how they couldn't afford the asking price of Irvin. On air.

Because a starting QB at Bama might make a million dollars matters now? They had Jalen Hurts, Tua and Mac all in one QB room. You think the NIL is all of a sudden going to make a huge difference? How much better can you be than that?

Duke and UK have so many more NBA players than any other teams, they have separated themselves. Their NBA players have $2Bn worth of contracts. All before NIL. Bradley Beal and Jayson Tatum were on IG Live and Beal made a joke about how much Duke paid him on air!

Syracuse football was never getting a QB that Bama was going after. Doesn't matter if that kid is getting an above board $500k NIL income or not.

Syracuse basketball will lose out almost every time to Duke for the very top tier players because they have like 25 guys in the NBA (for above board stuff).

Syracuse isn't some team on an island of purity where all of these other teams have been cheating and we have not. Nor has this new news demonstrably changed our outlook. In fact, our 2022 bball recruiting class is looking to end up being a very solid class. Other side of the coin, our football team has been mediocre or terrible going on two decades now. I'm pretty sure we've averaged 4.5 wins/season since Freeney left. I mean, we're talking pre-MySpace era (and, yes, I was on Friendster).

What extremes do you think will happen due to the NIL? Because I'm not worried about the NIL. Here is what I'm worried about:

>Where we end up in the conference landscape.
>The transition post-JB for bball.
>If we can compete in football THIS year.

I think the NIL is a vehicle for a lot of our pre-conceived worries about where Syracuse stands in the pecking order and our future and is an easy out. We should be winning 6 games in football, NIL or no NIL. We should be solidly in the tourney each year, NIL or no NIL.

We'll be ok. Let's just land at a big boy conference and worry about the other stuff later.

Why do some feel the need to get personal when they don't agree with others? It grows really tiresome. If you don't agree, state it. No damn need to make it more than it is. Okay, back to consuming more IPAs.
That’s what the OT board is for!

I definitely don't dismiss the benefits of the college experience and education received, especially for football where even the best players have to stay three years.

My larger point was that I've never thought there was some purity to big time college athletics because, well, there hasn't been.

And, if the NIL is the first avenue in cracking the veneer of amateurism that is BS, then so be it. It's not perfect, but it's what we have at the moment.

Yes, it's not pure capitalism, but not many things are. When coaches that have 8 figure contracts or NCAA administrators that make high six figures or even seven figure salaries or assistant coaches that are making $2 or $3M a year are the only ones benefitting from a monetary benefit that is above board, I just don't have any sympathy when the players finally get a cut (and it's not even from the same pool as those mentioned above!).

I get the players get scholarships, room and board, stipends, etc. But let's be real, those are basically fringe benefits to the salary that you would want in an equivalent situation in the real world, right? And, if people are so keen on the benefits listed, go talk to the guy on the team that wants to be a math major or engineering major and see what the response is most of the time from coaches.

Point being, the day of reckoning is coming. We are in the midst of a massive power play by the conferences, huge contracts for the coaches and the system that has allowed for massive under the table payments/benefits that **everyone knows about** to finally be truly disrupted.

I hate it as a Syracuse fan. I want stability and to just see my team win 6+ games a year and go to a bowl game. However, outside of me being a fan, I'm all for this. While it isn't the best solution, it's something. How do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time.

Just my 0.02.

PS - with all that said, if we get JJ Starling, you better believe I'm going to be on here celebrating like I won the lottery. Am I hypocritical? Probably. I definitely compartmentalize my "fan of SU" with "screw the system".
Every one also ignores salary caps, revenue sharing, college draft, and a few other mechanisms that balance the competitive landscape in professional sports. Where are those mechanisms in college sports now that its 'going pro'.

Lol...politics? what?

ill break it down for you slowly. We (Syracuse) were able to achieve and succeed due to entering the arms race for facilities, be a part of the in crowd with the conference realignments, etc.

for our fanbase to cry about things being unfair now is embarrassing to me. we still have plenty we can play ball with.

For the record - where we disagreed before was not this. The current changes are in no way unfair. If we end up unable to compete then that will just be reality. We are a private school in the rust belt. Agree we have some cards to play still for sure.

Larger markets??? Tuscaloosa? Clemson? Athens? Do you mean power programs?

The big programs have already separated themselves in football. Bama then Clemson then UGA/OSU/Oklahoma are basically in their own league as it stands (you can throw in Oregon, maybe ND, whatever). Do you really think the NIL is the straw that breaks the camel's back? Those guys are operating in economies that we can't even dream of at Syracuse and have been for a while, and there has been a divorce in tiers like that dating back forever. FSU was finished in the top 5 like 14 years in a row at one point. You think they did that with grit and grind? Oh, btw, Bobby Bowden, when being interviewed by Michael Irvin, joked about how they couldn't afford the asking price of Irvin. On air.

Because a starting QB at Bama might make a million dollars matters now? They had Jalen Hurts, Tua and Mac all in one QB room. You think the NIL is all of a sudden going to make a huge difference? How much better can you be than that?

Duke and UK have so many more NBA players than any other teams, they have separated themselves. Their NBA players have $2Bn worth of contracts. All before NIL. Bradley Beal and Jayson Tatum were on IG Live and Beal made a joke about how much Duke paid him on air!

Syracuse football was never getting a QB that Bama was going after. Doesn't matter if that kid is getting an above board $500k NIL income or not.

Syracuse basketball will lose out almost every time to Duke for the very top tier players because they have like 25 guys in the NBA (for above board stuff).

Syracuse isn't some team on an island of purity where all of these other teams have been cheating and we have not. Nor has this new news demonstrably changed our outlook. In fact, our 2022 bball recruiting class is looking to end up being a very solid class. Other side of the coin, our football team has been mediocre or terrible going on two decades now. I'm pretty sure we've averaged 4.5 wins/season since Freeney left. I mean, we're talking pre-MySpace era (and, yes, I was on Friendster).

What extremes do you think will happen due to the NIL? Because I'm not worried about the NIL. Here is what I'm worried about:

>Where we end up in the conference landscape.
>The transition post-JB for bball.
>If we can compete in football THIS year.

I think the NIL is a vehicle for a lot of our pre-conceived worries about where Syracuse stands in the pecking order and our future and is an easy out. We should be winning 6 games in football, NIL or no NIL. We should be solidly in the tourney each year, NIL or no NIL.

We'll be ok. Let's just land at a big boy conference and worry about the other stuff later.

Good stuff. Only thing I would add is in respect to markets/programs the programs for large public schools tend to be the equivalent to a "large market" in a pro sense. There is a lot of dust to clear once again with the conference stuff too so it bears letting this sort itself out too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom