I think its time for a discussion | Page 22 | Syracusefan.com

I think its time for a discussion

lol. This guy is acting like recruiting can’t get worse, when it has been with other HC, recently.

You don’t fire or keep HC based on the incoming recruiting class.

I think having the discussion about HC means including an open eyed assessment of what we have in Dino, after the season.
I think it'll be tough for them to fire him, gonna be tough for them to eat dinos buyout then hire a whole new staff, i remember 2-3 weeks ago getting laughed off the board for saying we have a better chance of losing to liberty than beating BC, funny how it's looking like that'll happen. I figure we loose a few recruits due to this terrible season

I feel Dino should get another year, but right now I'm not very confident with him doing anything with it. With that said, I also think this year would probably be as good a year as any to start over with a new coach.

If it were up to me, I'd have some "feelers" out, if you think you can get someone who'd be a great fit, might be worth jumping on that opportunity before it leaves. It's a two way street, Dino had his "feelers" out after the 2018 season, no reason SU shouldn't also.

There’s no way he’s getting fired when they just shelled out a ton of money for brand new coordinators to help out. He’s coaching this year and next year
Honest question, I know Dino has a buy out clause. Do coordinators also have buyout clauses?

Honest question, I know Dino has a buy out clause. Do coordinators also have buyout clauses?
Most likely determined by the length of the contract and usually are small for guys that are at schools like su if there is one .. agents protect their clients like crazy these days

There’s no way he’s getting fired when they just shelled out a ton of money for brand new coordinators to help out. He’s coaching this year and next year
those coaches are year to year that has no bearing on him

I think he gets next year for sure. I don’t think we should regret the big contract at all. Next coach comes in and beats Clemson, gets us to 10 wins - you do it, every time.

The biggest thing for him in my mind is to hold on to this recruiting class. He should be very involved in the communication with them and remind them how many injuries we've had and what an opportunity they have to get on the field early. I haven't been a big fan of Dino's recruiting here, but I really like this class. A true Dual-threat QB, a bunch of linemen (finally!), really like a couple of the skill position guys. But we can't afford to have this class fall apart and then have a fledgling class the following season if he's on the hot seat. Also, needs to find a transfer OT ready to play next year.

Last edited:
I like Dino but man it really appears like their might be a disconnect with the players.
I don’t get it if that is the case.
He is a really great person.
Losing causes division, and we just lost to a team from a school that’s been FBS 1.5 years and has been rocked by 2 scandals/calamities so far this season (school not believing in COVID and Jerry Falwell Jr.’s relationship with his wife, or lack thereof, and the school’s finances).

Abd to make matters worse, we were 1-3 before that with a loss to Duke in *football.*

Edit: I also wonder how distracted the team is. Belichick claims to not know what the internet is. And old school coaches like Joe Pa (may he get what he deserves) didn’t let players have names on their uniforms until the team earned it. There’s an argument that tunnel version is extremely beneficial. We, on the other hand, have players with political statements on their jerseys. Many might argue whether it’s morally right or wrong, but purely from a maintaining a disciplined football team that has a tunnel vision focus on wins games perspective, I don’t think it’s helping, nor do I think it brings everyone together. IMHO, *from a purely football, individual expression perspective*, it’s analogous to the Miami teams between ‘80-‘01, only we forgot about the part of being good first. Whether or not it’s the right thing to do is up for debate, *but that debate is a different one than the point I’m trying to argue.* My post is purely from a “does it win games and bring team together” perspective, and something’s rightness or wrongness has no inherent connection as to whether it promote an atmosphere of winning games and bringing the team together.

Last edited:
Everybody talks about the money they will lose if he is fired but what about when at the games there is only 30,000 cause we suck. Your losing money either way. Get a coach who can recruit and win and then the dome will be full and bam, there your money back. It’s definitely time to move on. Hell we may not even keep some of these recruits anyways cause we are so bad. Do it now.

You don't think there is a HC out there who can play fundamentally sound football and go 4-8 vs keeping Dino and going 2-10 with no talent and undisciplined football?
Yes because that’s what we all want to see again. Let’s go find another meathead football coach who can put a decent defense on the field but for the life of them cannot recruit or put a lick of offense together. Didn’t we just get rid of one of those?

Yes because that’s what we all want to see again. Let’s go find another meathead football coach who can put a decent defense on the field but for the life of them cannot recruit or put a lick of offense together. Didn’t we just get rid of one of those?
Now we have no offense or defense with a nice guy coach. This isn’t working. I want the meatheads

As opposed to a “non-meathead” who has a dubious defense, no offense, and the same recruiting?

Try to besmirch run-first offenses by referring to those coaches as “meatheads” all you want, but the truth is we aren’t the smartest guys in the room. We just lost to Liberty on what was effectively a neutral field.

Now we have no offense or defense with a nice guy coach. This isn’t working. I want the meatheads
I just want a coach who can truly innovate based on what the northeast realistically can and cannot produce/attract. I don’t care if the guy passes first, runs first, or does something else. Heck, he can punt on first down for all I care, so long as he finds a way to consistently win doing it.

Even he knows he's in major trouble

Absolutely.

He tied his wagon to one QB, who is currently injured and before that was underwhelming at best. And to this point, has not recruited anyone to push him or remotely close to a capable D1 QB.

The WR group has one playmaker who is a head case. The OL is currently starting a fullback at guard.

His defense just allowed 300+ rushing yards to Liberty. And loses an All-American safety.

He is calling out two kids by name in the press conference and not a third, the head case WR who flipped a TV camera the middle finger for the world to see.

Ohana my ass. It is becoming more clear that without Dungey, we don’t win 10 f**ing games.

Can’t part with Dino unless there’s a candidate out there that makes sense. Can’t pull a cantor and just fire him without a plan.

the problem is that people will see this program as a place where coaching dreams come to die. only a no-name with nothing to lose would consider this gig at this point.
I dont agree. We now have excellent facilities we play in a great conference. I can name a slew of coaches who would jump at coaching SU.

Everybody talks about the money they will lose if he is fired but what about when at the games there is only 30,000 cause we suck. Your losing money either way. Get a coach who can recruit and win and then the dome will be full and bam, there your money back. It’s definitely time to move on. Hell we may not even keep some of these recruits anyways cause we are so bad. Do it now.

What is your idea of recruiting? This board says get someone who can recruit but has no clue what it means or everything that goes into it. You can recruit good players but fail to develop. Syracuse has had four stars that never made it to campus.

If they move on from him, they can't jump out the window like Cantor and Gross did. The search needs to be methodical because no one is jumping to coach at SU. Babers failing isn't just an indictment on him. It's an indictment on the hurdles the university faces. It's been said for close to two decades now that it's a school you can't win at. SU will have gone through four coaches since Pasqualoni was dismissed.

If this was Dino’s first or second year then the fanbase would understand this.
Not in year 5. He is basically saying wait 2 More years.
Which is hilarious.

That's not what I got from it. It pretty much says all jobs are open. If you're a young guy, your time to grow up is now.

Eddie O wanted the job (obviously before LSU offered), I’m pretty (very) sure Addazio would take the job, Chip Kelly tried to get the job (before he went to Oregon).

We obviously aren’t a dream destination for most, but we still offer enough to generate real interest in promising coordinators and HC’s with northeast ties.

Orgeron would have failed here as he did at Ole Miss. The only difference is that Ole Miss gave him the resources he needed. He had to prove himself before he was given another shot at LSU. Chip Kelly was a coach at New Hampshire with no name or resume. SU went with Marrone because of the familiarity and NFL pedigree.