I think many are undervaluing Brandon next year... | Syracusefan.com

I think many are undervaluing Brandon next year...

Brandon's value is maximized when he's aggressive, takes it hard to the rim, and starts scoring. That opens up mid-range and shots from three.

The last three years, he's been in a situation where he deferred to Andy (and Wes, etc..), had the older/leader Scoop out there, and then NBA-ready Dion, a guy JB acclaimed one of the best guards in the country. I think these scenarios stymied his potential.

Next year, he'll be the senior guard, the guy JB is going to look to lead this team. JB will repeatedly tell him to be aggressive and without Dion (and Scoop), he will.

His D is already top-notch and when the mental-side catches with the physical-side, which I think it will next year, I expect a big jump.

He will lead the team in minutes, points, and start to pull down more boards as his confidence takes off. Also, the fact BT is on the team will mean we'll see DC have a fantastic season, at least on the offensive end. DC will be comfortable out there and coupled with his fantastic skill set, I'll be shocked if DC doesn't avg at least 10 a game next year.

I like a guy that can go to the hole with his opposite hand. I'm not worried about Triche and if he's not an asset on next years team, we will be sitting pretty.

I think the fact that Triche will almost definitely play over 30 minutes a game (and not be looking over his shoulder) will do wonders for his confidence. I fully expect a 1st or 2nd team all Big East year from him.

I see Brandons midrange game opening up his low post scoring game.

Hes just so strong athletic and consistant at knocking down those shots in the lane that he has the time to hesitate and decide whether to take it further into the lane.

I just don't see it. His shot is not nearly consistent enough to be a big scorer, so he'd need to make up for it by scoring off the dribble...and that portion of his game is well below that of Dion and Scoop. Sure he's able to use his size on occasion, but too often he commits an offensive foul or just plain gets cut off b/c of his average handle.

I'm not saying this to rip on him, I just think he is what he is. That being the same exact player we've seen for the last 3 years. Good enough to average 9-12 points, but not a leading offensive player.

To quote Seinfeld, not that there's anything wrong with that. The consistency just isn't there for him to make this expected "leap" next year.

I think you are vastly over valuing him. IMO he is a 25 min a game guy, that is it. His strength is his mid range game. He can get hot from 3 but it shouldn't be expected. Getting to the rim is a weakness of his. On D he is overrated. He doesn't get steals and is often a step late on getting to the shooter. Which is why there are 2-3 times a game where a guy hits a 3 and then you see BT get there right after the release. That isn't good D IMO. I find it interesting that so many consider him a good defender when he isn't good on the ball, doesn't get steals, and is often late at getting to the shooter. He is a solid defender but not a good one.

i get the sense with brandon is that when he misses shots in games, there ones he knows he hits in practice so it frustrates him and gets him in a funk. hes got a good all around game. If he can have one aspect of his game be great next year I think we got a chance to be really good again.

I don't know. It seems like we have this conversation about Triche this time every year. We're always waiting for him to step up, take over, and then boom, all of a sudden he's a senior and he still hasn't done it. I believe he is what he is at this point, and we'll see basically the same player next year, with some slight improvements.

Agree hes not Scoop or Dion off the dribble in ISO, but as a offguard who gets 4-5 good bounces into the lane he can be a very dangerous penetrator.

MCW will be the iso penetrator.

Brandon and Cooney will bring a big question to our scoring, because Brandon might have to bring some iso offense to help Cooney get rolling.

1,000 points in three seasons is nothing to sneeze at.

Brandon's value is maximized when he's aggressive, takes it hard to the rim, and starts scoring. That opens up mid-range and shots from three.

The last three years, he's been in a situation where he deferred to Andy (and Wes, etc..), had the older/leader Scoop out there, and then NBA-ready Dion, a guy JB acclaimed one of the best guards in the country. I think these scenarios stymied his potential.

Next year, he'll be the senior guard, the guy JB is going to look to lead this team. JB will repeatedly tell him to be aggressive and without Dion (and Scoop), he will.

His D is already top-notch and when the mental-side catches with the physical-side, which I think it will next year, I expect a big jump.

He will lead the team in minutes, points, and start to pull down more boards as his confidence takes off. Also, the fact BT is on the team will mean we'll see DC have a fantastic season, at least on the offensive end. DC will be comfortable out there and coupled with his fantastic skill set, I'll be shocked if DC doesn't avg at least 10 a game next year.
Agreed, gerat post. However, I hope he doesn't have Lamb syndrome; great as a role player, but when the team needed him to be the #1 guy he was terribly inconsistent.

When Brandon can relax and play he will be much improved. So far in his career, when he turns it over or misses a shot he looks over to the bench to see if his replacement just got up. More often than not, someone is already at the scorer's table. This is keeping him from his full potential.

1,000 points in three seasons is nothing to sneeze at.

That's just fine. It doesn't mean he'll do anything different next year though. He's a good player, and will probably finish his career as just that.

I don't know. It seems like we have this conversation about Triche this time every year. We're always waiting for him to step up, take over, and then boom, all of a sudden he's a senior and he still hasn't done it. I believe he is what he is at this point, and we'll see basically the same player next year, with some slight improvements.

I agree that if the past is always a predictor of future events that this optimism surrounding Triche is undeserved. But I really think part of the issue with him is that he always had older or more heralded offensive players around him so he deferred. With Scoop, Dion and Kris gone, Boeheim will probably beat into his head that he needs to be aggressive offensively for the team to win. Couple that with consistent PT and I think he gets more into a rhythm next year.

Difficult for me to buy the idea that Brandon's game suffered while playing with Scoop or Dion or Andy. Those guys could draw the defenders, and Scoop and Andy in particular helped set Brandon up. BT got plenty of opportunities to show what he could do, starting every game for 3 years. Good solid, valuable combo guard -- won't hurt us, but ultimately, the question is whether he has more upside to emerge at this stage as an all-league guard. What skills does he develop over the summer? If MCW and Cooney are as good as some say, don't they take minutes as the season progresses?

Brandon will certainly be a valuable part of the team next year. It scares me to think of him as "the guy" though. Has he ever made a 3 when he was not wide open? That's a serious question because it seems to me that every 3 he ever made he was unguarded. As others have said it's his mid-range game that makes him valuable. And I've never really thought of Brandon as a passer. Just doesn't stand out in that regard. Defensively he's adequate in the zone. My hope is that Brandon finally eliminates all the excuses and promises so many have been making for him and does step up and average 17+ per game. But I'm not sold there is anything that he will be the best at on the team.

I just don't see it. His shot is not nearly consistent enough to be a big scorer, so he'd need to make up for it by scoring off the dribble...and that portion of his game is well below that of Dion and Scoop. Sure he's able to use his size on occasion, but too often he commits an offensive foul or just plain gets cut off b/c of his average handle.

I'm not saying this to rip on him, I just think he is what he is. That being the same exact player we've seen for the last 3 years. Good enough to average 9-12 points, but not a leading offensive player.

To quote Seinfeld, not that there's anything wrong with that. The consistency just isn't there for him to make this expected "leap" next year.

Good job, Sam.

I like Triche, but as was said above, he needs to get the mental part of the game in synch with the physical. Too many unforced errors or mistakes trying to do the very difficult. Maybe it is just attitude and being a senior might change the mental aspect.

He and Scoop together dug some pretty big holes for SU in the first 10 minutes of many games. But he was great at times.

Brandon and James with be the Kris and Scoop of next year's team. They may not be the most talented players on the team but they will be the seniors leaders, the guys who speak for the team and are at the table with JB at the NCAAs. Does that mean they will be the leaders in the locker room and on the court? Probably.

Every summer it's all positive about Triche: "better point guard than Flynn" (Boeheim, 2009), "tore it up against international competition" (lots of people on here, 2010 and 2011). When those expectations aren't met, it's all excuses from the half of the fanbase that loves him - his teammates are too good, his teammates are too bad, Scoop is freezing him out, he's not meant to be a point guard...no, wait, he needs to play on the ball.

Until Triche proves otherwise, he's a good role player - someone who can score 20 and carry us but then disappear and not crack double-figures for half a dozen games. Someone who shocks everyone in the Garden with a Hakim-quality putback dunk but then misses layups and dribbles the ball off his foot.

I'll be the first one to happily eat crow, but I don't see Triche making any kind of giant improvement. If he does, that'd be awesome. It's just not terribly likely that a guy can start every game for three years and then suddenly make a huge leap during his final season.

I like a guy that can go to the hole with his opposite hand.

Thats what she said.

sounds like a comment for the off topic forum.

Every summer it's all positive about Triche: "better point guard than Flynn" (Boeheim, 2009), "tore it up against international competition" (lots of people on here, 2010 and 2011). When those expectations aren't met, it's all excuses from the half of the fanbase that loves him - his teammates are too good, his teammates are too bad, Scoop is freezing him out, he's not meant to be a point guard...no, wait, he needs to play on the ball.

Until Triche proves otherwise, he's a good role player - someone who can score 20 and carry us but then disappear and not crack double-figures for half a dozen games. Someone who shocks everyone in the Garden with a Hakim-quality putback dunk but then misses layups and dribbles the ball off his foot.

I'll be the first one to happily eat crow, but I don't see Triche making any kind of giant improvement. If he does, that'd be awesome. It's just not terribly likely that a guy can start every game for three years and then suddenly make a huge leap during his final season.

He's alot like his uncle only a guard instead of a forward, (they are of similar size- Howie was 6-5). Solid, all-around player but not a blazing talent and not with a 'star' mentality. That doesn't mean he can't be a good senior leader.

When Brandon can relax and play he will be much improved. So far in his career, when he turns it over or misses a shot he looks over to the bench to see if his replacement just got up. More often than not, someone is already at the scorer's table. This is keeping him from his full potential.

That is baloney. He's been given EVERY opportunity to maximize what he has.Everybody has to be accountable for what they do on the court.

Samspann said:
"The consistency just isn't there for him to make this expected "leap" next year."
..and others who do not believe...
Triche has been most consistent playing guard we have. He has harnassed his ability and will be consistently good next year...expect 25-35 minutes with following #s:
ppg: 14-16
assts 4-6
TOs: 1-3
FT % 80+%
3pt % 42%
FG % 45%
Triche will be 1st or 2nd team all BE...he will lead the team into and thru the final 4 to NC...
No deffering to others...getting passes from MCW more frequently than Scoop passing to him...and we got a winner...!

It's just not terribly likely that a guy can start every game for three years and then suddenly make a huge leap during his final season.

Good post, however just because Triche has "started" every game doesn't necessarily mean he was a "starter," if you know what I mean.

I think it's fair to say that Triche was really only a starter his sophomore year (2010-11):

Scoop (1) and Rautins (2) were the main guards in 2009-10
Scoop (1) and Waiters (2) were the main guards in 2011-12

Next season, there's no doubt about it - Triche will lead the guards (and team) in minutes.

I think he will blow up as a senior like many we've seen over the years (Autry, Sims, Wallace, Griffin (relatively speaking), Warrick, Nichols (again, relative), Rautins, Jackson, etc..

But I understand those who are skeptical.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom