I think many are undervaluing Brandon next year... | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

I think many are undervaluing Brandon next year...

Triche and joseph are similar players who play different positions, neither will be a star or be the man/ leader on a team and play better when the pressures not on them. Otherwise known as a good role player.

Was Joseph ever the team's leading scorer in an NCAA Tournament game? I doubt it.

Triche came in off the bench ice cold last Saturday and dominated to the point of almost leading SU to a win. Joseph only ever did that in his dreams.

Just because Triche is quiet doesn't mean he's not clutch in pressure situations.

Was Joseph ever the team's leading scorer in an NCAA Tournament game? I doubt it.

Triche came in off the bench ice cold last Saturday and dominated to the point of almost leading SU to a win. Joseph only ever did that in his dreams.

Just because Triche is quiet doesn't mean he's not clutch in pressure situations.
Dominate ? Comon bro lets get real here. Alls i know when we needed clutch fts he missed sometimes both of them and he was the best ft shooter on the team. I hope he blows up but im being realistic. Ill be thrilled with 12 ppg.

Triche will have a joseph senior year, mark it down.

I hate to say it, but I agree. The best thing that ever happened to Triche was having Scoop on the team due to how polarizing he was/is with the fanbase. From the whole good scoop/bad scoop to the "Scoop won't pass to BT' nonsense it's always allowed Triche to fly under the radar.

If you sit in the chat rooms game after game you start to see it play out every game. Scoop throws a bad pass, or loses the ball out of bounds - it's "bad scoop." BT does the same thing and it's "he's just got to get his confidence going." Scoop goes under a screen to give up a three it's "bad scoop", BT goes under a screen there is never a comment. It's always been kind of fascinating to watch it play out that way. Same thing with Scoop always being labeled a poor 3 point shooter and BT a good or sometimes great one even though Scoop has pretty much outshot him for 3 years.

In all the years on the forum the love of BT has been the most interesting thing to follow...:)

Now, having a Joseph senior year is not an altogether bad thing. He'll be a team leader, he'll put up points, but I don't see him developing into the focus of our attack. I think next year will be a lot like this one where everyone contributes and we may need to see more of a focus on getting points for the bigs if we have DC, Rak, and Noel.

Triche will have a joseph senior year, mark it down.

No chance.

I would be shocked--absolutely shocked--if Triche doesn't average 15 points next season.

Id be shocked if he does.

Think about it for a second--we had a 3 guard rotation [primarily] this year. Two of those guys are gone. Triche is going to play a TON of minutes, and his shot opportunities will increase as a function of the firepower we lost. MCW and Cooney are largely unproven commodities, and likely will not be the focal point of the backcourt offense [especially Cooney, on paper anyway].

I can't envision a scenario where he DOESN'T get 15 ppg.

No chance.

I would be shocked--absolutely shocked--if Triche doesn't average 15 points next season.
Sure hope you are right -- he will need to improve his mid-range game, but it is possible.
For those looking for Andy Rautins or D Nichols improvement, junior year to senior, that might not happen. Those guys were really good shooters, needed to get stronger and added some muscle. Andy worked through the summer at PG with the Canadian national team. Both guys had already showed improvement every year in the program. In the show me mode, the concern is that BT hasn't changed a lot in his 3 years as a starter (in part because he was already full grown when he arrived on campus). Good player -- hope he confounds us all and has an all-league senior year.

Think about it for a second--we had a 3 guard rotation [primarily] this year. Two of those guys are gone. Triche is going to play a TON of minutes, and his shot opportunities will increase as a function of the firepower we lost. MCW and Cooney are largely unproven commodities, and likely will not be the focal point of the backcourt offense [especially Cooney, on paper anyway].

Makes sense but i think MCW is already better than triche now and i can see MCW avg more than triche. I also think cooney will surprise and be a legit threat. Triche has reached his ceiling, wish him well but i peg him as a kjoish senior year.

Makes sense but i think MCW is already better than triche now and i can see MCW avg more than triche. I also think cooney will surprise and be a legit threat. Triche has reached his ceiling, wish him well but i peg him as a kjoish senior year.
I think MCW will be teh first "pure" PG we've had in a while. He'll get his points, but I think he'll be around 6 or 7 apg. Not to say that he can't score, but I just think he's gonna be a facilitator first. And with guys like Triche, Cooney, Fair, Southerland, DC2, etc, he won't have to score.

I don't think it's that hard. Triche averaged 8.1 points over 21.3 minutes per game last year. To get to 15 points per game, he'd need to average 39.4 minutes per game. Of course that is assuming he scores at the same rate. It's fair to say he will improve his scoring rate, but I definitely don't think it's a given that he'll do it enough to score 15 per game. In the last 3 seasons, we've had one guy average more than 15 per game. (No one since Wes in 2010).

No chance.

Completely agree.

The other way that Triche won't be like Joseph is the ball won't just die in his hands. Joseph and Scoop were black holes for the ball. Completely killed any flow of the offense. Dion was far superior to either of those two but he still kept the flow going most of the time.

I don't think it's that hard. Triche averaged 8.1 points over 21.3 minutes per game last year. To get to 15 points per game, he'd need to average 39.4 minutes per game. Of course that is assuming he scores at the same rate. It's fair to say he will improve his scoring rate, but I definitely don't think it's a given that he'll do it enough to score 15 per game. In the last 3 seasons, we've had one guy average more than 15 per game. (No one since Wes in 2010).

Come on man, I'm sure you've played some hoops before. Triche's minutes from this past year, where he was jerked in and out by JB, won't be comparable to next year's minutes. Triche rarely played second halves, or the end of the first half. Then he would get inserted, cold, off the bench and be expected to produce. Tough to actually be effective scoring after you've been sitting and watching for 20 minutes since the last time you touched the ball.

I don't want to be known as a Triche defender primarily, but I think the kid has a big upside if JB show's the kid he has confidence in him.

].

Can't envison? Then you're not trying very hard or just don't want to. It is very possible that Triche will average 15 a game, I can envision that. But you're saying you can't envison Triche not averaging more points than anyone else has the past couple years? It'll still be a 3 guard rotation and if Brandon is still doing some of the same things he did this year that got him a seat on the bench he'll be sitting there again. I can't think of one thing that Brandon will be the best at on the team next year. He can do it all, shoot, drive, pass, pullup, rebound and transition. But he still had too many What moments and most of them were when he was trying to be aggressive and in charge and that is the main thing his biggest supporters think he needs to do more of. He's a great kid. A good player. But if he was from Delaware we'd be wondering how he ever started a game the last 3 years.

I don't think it's that hard. Triche averaged 8.1 points over 21.3 minutes per game last year.

That was his freshman year. Soph he was 11.1/28.8 and this year 9.2/22.5 this year. He'll be 30+ next year and maybe close to 34. JB always gives extra minutes to his seniors. He'll be at 15ppg and could be higher.

Brandon is still doing some of the same things he did this year that got him a seat on the bench he'll be sitting there again. I can't think of one thing that Brandon will be the best at on the team next year. He can do it all, shoot, drive, pass, pullup, rebound and transition. But he still had too many What moments and most of them were when he was trying to be aggressive and in charge and that is the main thing his biggest supporters think he needs to do more of. He's a great kid. A good player. But if he was from Delaware we'd be wondering how he ever started a game the last 3 years.

Did you question why in 3 of our NCAA games he scored our first basket and once our first 2 as he came out aggressive but then when Dion came in it was Triche and not Scoop that came out? Nobody in Pitt could figure it out especially against KSU when Scoop threw a ball away and did an ole defense giving up a 3 and Brandon hits 2 shots and rims out a 3 only to see Scoop stay on the court and him come out for Dion. Strange.

From a fans point of view it seems Brandon gets a lot of the same treatment scoop received. People either love him or hate him. Anyway to the guy who said that he only averaged 8.1 points per game, I think you need to check your stats. He was at 9.5 or so. I'm jumping on the Brandon bandwagon. He looked great against Wisconsin and Ohio state. They are supposed to be top defensive teams. Even Jb expects him to be the man next year. I fully expect him to settle in at 14 to 16 a game, and contrary to what many people believe, I would rather of had him as our go to guy than kris. The thing with bt is I just believe he doesn't have an ego. His big scoring games tend to come when everybody else stinks. With nobody at or above his ability next year I expect him to flourish. I also think some of the haterade he gets has to do with the fact he's local. This is what makes him so polarizing. People either love him cause he's local, or hate him because they think he got special treatment coming here. A lot of the same things you hear about Brandon, was the same stuff you heard about Andy when he was here. Brandon Triche has all the athletic ability in the world, and I am sure the coaching staff is telling him he's the key guy next year, because even coach Jb has said it over and over this year.

That was his freshman year. Soph he was 11.1/28.8 and this year 9.2/22.5 this year. He'll be 30+ next year and maybe close to 34. JB always gives extra minutes to his seniors. He'll be at 15ppg and could be higher.

Ugh, sorry, you're right. I read the stat lines wrong.

I think 33 or 34 MPG sounds right. Just don't think its a lock he scores 15 per game. Not saying he can't.

If Triche gets 15 ppg we will be lucky to be a Sweet 16 team. For us to go anywhere next year we need to run the O through MCW. If Triche has the ball in his hands often enough to put up 15 ppg that means he is doing so because we have nothing else. If we have nothing else it will be a loooong year. MCW needs to be the man next year. He needs to penetrate and dish. That IMO is the only way this team can have any success. Having to rely on a mediocre player to put 15 ppg up will be torture.

Come on man, I'm sure you've played some hoops before. Triche's minutes from this past year, where he was jerked in and out by JB, won't be comparable to next year's minutes. Triche rarely played second halves, or the end of the first half. Then he would get inserted, cold, off the bench and be expected to produce. Tough to actually be effective scoring after you've been sitting and watching for 20 minutes since the last time you touched the ball.

I don't want to be known as a Triche defender primarily, but I think the kid has a big upside if JB show's the kid he has confidence in him.

I don't recall that happening much at all. When did he sit for long stretches and then come back in? The first half JB would rotate the three Gs. The second half JB usually closed games with Scoop and Waiters. So yes Triche then sat for a long time but he DID NOT come back in? Its amazing the excuses this kid gets.

If Triche gets 15 ppg we will be lucky to be a Sweet 16 team. For us to go anywhere next year we need to run the O through MCW. If Triche has the ball in his hands often enough to put up 15 ppg that means he is doing so because we have nothing else. If we have nothing else it will be a loooong year. MCW needs to be the man next year. He needs to penetrate and dish. That IMO is the only way this team can have any success. Having to rely on a mediocre player to put 15 ppg up will be torture.

I think you will be disappointed then.

I think you will be disappointed then.

If that is the case I will sign up right now for just making the 2nd round. If we have to rely on Triche to carry our O, we are in trouble.

If that is the case I will sign up right now for just making the 2nd round. If we have to rely on Triche to carry our O, we are in trouble.

I don't think anyone guy is going to have to "carry" the offense. I do think Triche will lead the team in scoring. If we have 4-5 guys averaging 10-15ppg and Triche is the leader at 15 ppg you are going to assume the team will be a bust?

First, if he plays 34-40 minutes a game he better be scoring 15+ a game. The way we run our offense it would probably be catastrophic if he couldn't.

Second, the only time I ever hear this excuse about how hard it is to come in and out of game is with BT. I mean, if you're playing 5 minutes a game and expected to score that's one thing (see Mookie, Dirty), if you're over 20+ a game it's not really an excuse/issue. At least not much of one.

Third, I get the confidence thing, but if you're issue with shooting/driving the ball successfully is that the other players on the team are better than you, than I think we're all a little crazy to expect him to be our rock-solid leader next year. Stranger things have happened though.

Fourth, kid played pretty well in the tourney so he has something to build on going into next year. He's a very good player, I've said it every year he's been here - he's your ideal 3rd guard. Steady, but unspectacular. Does nothing very well, but is adequate at everything.

Fifth, he could lead us in scoring, and we could still win it all. I can't disagree with that assessment. If he's our most explosive player though, we're not very explosive. :) If we have Noel though we should be solid underneath.

Love the kid, just like I loved Joseph, and Jardine but they all had their limitations. I'm just tentative to go big on the kid - hope he proves me wrong.

I don't think anyone guy is going to have to "carry" the offense. I do think Triche will lead the team in scoring. If we have 4-5 guys averaging 10-15ppg and Triche is the leader at 15 ppg you are going to assume the team will be a bust?

I don't think he is talented enough to put up 15 ppg in the normal flow of an offense. If he is putting up 15 ppg then he will have to have the ball in his hands a lot. In that case I could see him having a Scottie Reynolds type season his SR year. But IMO if that happens we will not win many games or go very far in the NCAAs. If he is your main option, then you don't have much to work with.

I am in favor of anybody in an SU uniform being very good next year.

Same. One doesn't get the sense that everyone in these sorts of threads feels that way.

On a related note, I have to laugh at the people who blame Scoop or Boeheim for Triche's struggles. That's possibly the most delusional thing that's tossed around on this board, and that's saying something.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom