I think many are undervaluing Brandon next year... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

I think many are undervaluing Brandon next year...

Good post, however just because Triche has "started" every game doesn't necessarily mean he was a "starter," if you know what I mean.

I think it's fair to say that Triche was really only a starter his sophomore year (2010-11):

Scoop (1) and Rautins (2) were the main guards in 2009-10
Scoop (1) and Waiters (2) were the main guards in 2011-12

Next season, there's no doubt about it - Triche will lead the guards (and team) in minutes.

I think he will blow up as a senior like many we've seen over the years (Autry, Sims, Wallace, Griffin (relatively speaking), Warrick, Nichols (again, relative), Rautins, Jackson, etc..

But I understand those who are skeptical.

There's something to that. And it's entirely possible that Triche finally gets it (Nichols is the comparison I was thinking of). Let's not hold our breath, though.

Triche has played 100+ games, we know what he is.

He'll play more minutes next year unless Cooney is waaaay better than expected.

With more minutes, he'll probably score 12 or 13 ppg, play solid defense and solid basketball in general, and be our second best guard. Maybe Honorable Mention All-BE.

Triche is a very good player. He can shoot, dribble penetrate, play decent defense and play point. Sometimes he dribbles into bad areas and when he lands after fast break layups sometimes makes my back hurt but I really don't think he needs to break out, just improve a little on his basketball skills and weaknesses.

Good post, however just because Triche has "started" every game doesn't necessarily mean he was a "starter," if you know what I mean.

I think it's fair to say that Triche was really only a starter his sophomore year (2010-11):

Next season, there's no doubt about it - Triche will lead the guards (and team) in minutes.

I think he will blow up as a senior like many we've seen over the years (Autry, Sims, Wallace, Griffin (relatively speaking), Warrick, Nichols (again, relative), Rautins, Jackson, etc..

I call it the Boeheim way. And I think Triche is one of those guys who was smart enough to know this is exactly how JB works with "non-superstar" types of players. When JB gives him the deference that he gave to Scoop this year, he will get the majority of minutes at 2 guard that he deserves.

I'm really glad to see this thread but pretty discouraged about how some people see Brandon. I love the comments from those who defend him though, including the one about Scoop not being there so BT will actually get a pass. I can't tell you how many times this last year especially I screamed at the TV when Scoop passed to Triche coming off a curl. The reason I was screaming was that Scoop invariably got him the ball too late to do anything with it. Or worse, ignored him. The other area where BT could dominate is by posting up underneath. He can take pretty much any guard in the BE or ACC in the low post, yet you would rarely see Dion or Scoop get him the ball there. I think MCW can and will make that pass next year.

I think Triche is due to blow up next year. I think his defense is far better than Scoop's and he and MCW will be a wall up there. As for whoever said that Triche was the one that was there looking at 3s, I guarantee it happened a quarter of times compared to Scoop. And I would also wager that on many of those shots it was because the wing (typically Joseph) failed to get there first. Remember, it's a team deal on defense. I concur that BT doesn't get all the steals that Scoop and Dion did, but I'd argue that he has more tipped passes than pretty much anyone else on the team, which in turn led to those TOs that Scoop, Dion or whoever grabbed up.

He definitely needs to get his 3 point shot fixed. The majority of his misses come when he doesn't get his feet completely set. If he is fading to one side or the other, his shot will follow that. That's easily correctable.

As for taking it to the hole, I think the game against Wisconsin pretty much proved he has that ability. And if the f-ing refs hadn't called that terrible charge in the OSU game, we might still be playing basketball this weekend. And the comments about his "handle" wouldn't be littering this thread.

Brandon's value is maximized when he's aggressive, takes it hard to the rim, and starts scoring. That opens up mid-range and shots from three.

The last three years, he's been in a situation where he deferred to Andy (and Wes, etc..), had the older/leader Scoop out there, and then NBA-ready Dion, a guy JB acclaimed one of the best guards in the country. I think these scenarios stymied his potential.

Next year, he'll be the senior guard, the guy JB is going to look to lead this team. JB will repeatedly tell him to be aggressive and without Dion (and Scoop), he will.

His D is already top-notch and when the mental-side catches with the physical-side, which I think it will next year, I expect a big jump.

He will lead the team in minutes, points, and start to pull down more boards as his confidence takes off. Also, the fact BT is on the team will mean we'll see DC have a fantastic season, at least on the offensive end. DC will be comfortable out there and coupled with his fantastic skill set, I'll be shocked if DC doesn't avg at least 10 a game next year.

Down 71-67, I am yelling at the TV for Brandon to get the ball to Dion...

Samspann said:
"The consistency just isn't there for him to make this expected "leap" next year."
..and others who do not believe...
Triche has been most consistent playing guard we have. He has harnassed his ability and will be consistently good next year...expect 25-35 minutes with following #s:
ppg: 14-16
assts 4-6
TOs: 1-3
FT % 80+%
3pt % 42%
FG % 45%
Triche will be 1st or 2nd team all BE...he will lead the team into and thru the final 4 to NC...
No deffering to others...getting passes from MCW more frequently than Scoop passing to him...and we got a winner...!

Consistency is really hard to quantify/qualify. As a shooting guard, Triche's job is more to score than to assist. He averaged 9.35 ppg, with a standard deviation of 4.8 ppg. From a scoring standpoint, that's not exactly consistent, with his standard deviation being >50% of his average. Dion averaged 12.6 ppg with a standard deviation of 5.4 ppg, about 43% of his average. One might argue that Dion was the more consistent scorer, but not by much. Scoop's scoring numbers show the highest standard deviation, but his assist numbers are probably the most consistent.

These simple numbers don't take into account match-ups or how fluctuations in minutes affect a player... and I should also note that one of this team's strengths was the fact that it didn't need any one player to get at least 15 or 18 points EVERY game to win. As a result, I'd venture to guess that everyone on the team had high standard deviations with respect to their scoring averages.

Mason

Fair points. I would say I "hope" rather than "think" he'll blow up as a senior. For the most part he's had more PT than some of the guys on your list did before their senior year (Sims, Griffin, Rautins). For the most part I think everyone really likes Brandon. The real division is between the fans that insist he will be better vs those who are more of show me. And then there are those who think he already is. He's not. He hasn't been. But he could. Some will say should (I'm in this camp and the show me camp).

Consistency is really hard to quantify/qualify. As a shooting guard, Triche's job is more to score than to assist. He averaged 9.35 ppg, with a standard deviation of 4.8 ppg. From a scoring standpoint, that's not exactly consistent, with his standard deviation being >50% of his average. Dion averaged 12.6 ppg with a standard deviation of 5.4 ppg, about 43% of his average. One might argue that Dion was the more consistent scorer, but not by much. Scoop's scoring numbers are even more inconsistent, but his assist numbers are probably the most consistent.

These simple numbers don't take into account match-ups or how fluctuations in minutes affect a player... and I should also note that one of this team's strengths was the fact that it didn't need any one player to get at least 15 or 18 points EVERY game to win. As a result, I'd venture to guess that everyone on the team had high standard deviations with respect to their scoring averages.

Mason

I think your second paragraph is key. There were several times when Triche would sit 10-12 minute stretches of a game. It's hard to put up big stats when that happens. I like Triche's game. It will be interesting to see how it all comes together for him next year. Consistency is the key but I think that might be more easily attained with more consistent playing time.

I think your second paragraph is key. There were several times when Triche would sit 10-12 minute stretches of a game. It's hard to put up big stats when that happens. I like Triche's game. It will be interesting to see how it all comes together for him next year. Consistency is the key but I think that might be more easily attained with more consistent playing time.

Absolutely.

1,000 points in three seasons is nothing to sneeze at.
Which is pretty remarkable for a 3-Star recruit, who some claimed was offered a scholarship only because he was a legacy (like Rautins).

I expect next year's squad to be a lot like this year's team, with a number of players who can carry the team on any given night. Personally, I don't look for Brandon to be our leading scorer, and think we're a much more difficult team to defense when we don't have a guy we rely on that heavily.

Triche has a great hoops IQ, and what I do expect of him next year is to exhibit Senior leadership on and off the court.

...and many times Triche was on fire and then sat for 8-12 minutes or more and never got back into rhythm. Next year that will not be the case.

Triche and joseph are similar players who play different positions, neither will be a star or be the man/ leader on a team and play better when the pressures not on them. Otherwise known as a good role player.

Which is pretty remarkable for a 3-Star recruit, who some claimed was offered a scholarship only because he was a legacy (like Rautins).

I expect next year's squad to be a lot like this year's team, with a number of players who can carry the team on any given night. Personally, I don't look for Brandon to be our leading scorer, and think we're a much more difficult team to defense when we don't have a guy we rely on that heavily.

Triche has a great hoops IQ, and what I do expect of him next year is to exhibit Senior leadership on and off the court.
Triche will probably be the leading scorer by defaut; him and CJ will get the most shots I'd think.

Triche and joseph are similar players who play different positions, neither will be a star or be the man/ leader on a team and play better when the pressures not on them. Otherwise known as a good role player.
We don't know that Brandon can't be the go-to-guy. Although seeing him struggle at the line late in games was always disconcerning.

We don't know that Brandon can't be the go-to-guy. Although seeing him struggle at the line late in games was always disconcerning.
Yes we do. Hes not that kind of player and is to inconsistent.

Yes we do. Hes not that kind of player and is to inconsistent.
A lot can happen the year before your senior year.

Look at Nichols.
Look at Rautins.

Triche got the quick hook a lot this year, who knows what he'll do with 32-35mpg

A lot can happen the year before your senior year.

Look at Nichols.
Look at Rautins.

Triche got the quick hook a lot this year, who knows what he'll do with 32-35mpg
Triche will have a joseph senior year, mark it down.

Triche will have a joseph senior year, mark it down.
You might be right. But we might need Brandon to better next year than we needed KrisJo to be this year.

Kris, Waiters, Scoop, Dion, Fair, Brandon (and even Southerland) were all capable of putting up 15+ any given night if they got the shots.

Next year's squad; Fair, Brandon, then ???. We assume Southerland will make the jump and be way better, ditto with MCW. But we don't know what Cooney or DC2 will give us offensively yet.

That's 7 guys from last year, and 6 guys at best next year.

I don't see Brandon blowing up next year. Would love to be wrong, and would love to see him have a Nichols type season. (Though not on a version of our 2007 team).

hmmmm. and the leading scorer against OSU was Waiters...NO...Scoop...NO...KJ...NO...Fair...NO...oh I know
Triche with 15 points in 28 minutes...you know what...get over it guys...Triche is going to be very good this coming year!

hmmmm. and the leading scorer against OSU was Waiters...NO...Scoop...NO...KJ...NO...Fair...NO...oh I know
Triche with 15 points in 28 minutes...you know what...get over it guys...Triche is going to be very good this coming year!

I am in favor of anybody in an SU uniform being very good next year.

Theres nothing to get over, im being realistic based on his skills, mindset and play. If he can avg 15 a game next year i will do cartwheels but its not happening. You think because some people dont think he will blow up next year then they must have an agenda.

not at all...take minutes played; take his average around 9-10 ppg and then add minutes and times he will handle ball...I really want to believe he scores 15 a game...and if not...I hope someone else is scoring leader on 'Cuse...just want us to win.

PS: used OSU game because it was most important game of year and we lost...but Triche did more than expected of him...others played well too. I believe 15 points is in his wheel house game after game!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom