I think many are undervaluing Brandon next year... | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

I think many are undervaluing Brandon next year...

Ill be 35 in a few weeks.

Nice. Have any older siblings in the class of 1989? That was her year. Her family is still there - mom and brother.

Alright, I'm out. Good debate. Always enjoy talking about my favorite team.

1.We ran Scoop KJO and Dion in isolation all year thats a huge reason Brandon sat. If Triche starts getting 6 or more of those hesitation dribble or shoot choices next year in the high post he can be a true second option. I feel he has been no better then 2nd or 3rd thusfar. He played a go to guy as a sophmore because our offense wasn't that good.

2.Brandon became a tough competitor as a SG after recieving a quick pass the last quarter of this year. Infact he was better then Dion an when he caught a quick pass and attacked the lane. Because, he had more hesitiation whether or not to drive into the low post combined with a lean in jumper that was soft enough to rattle in. Dion and Scoop turned to a step back jumper in the high post a tougher shot, further from the basket which caused more arc, with much less chance to bounce in.

3. 97% of the time 1st option scorers are guys who run Iso ball with some dribble drive. If they need a ball fake to create it and shoot off of one or two bounces same thing. Guys like Rautins, Wes, Dion and KJO(at times) had that. Not Triche (yet).

4. If Next years team lacks one thing in the halfcourt offense its Dribble isolation penettration. For that reason DC2's offense could be even more undervalued. He can dribble and get shots off as a big. I think Fair will develop alittle better isolation for next year. I think Dirty could show alittle ISO or Cooney, becuase they have the height, pumpfake, quick and best shooting touch to do so.
MCW will be the obvious chioce though. Noels has lots of ISO I imagine.
For that reason DC2, MCW's off the dribble(even if its his passing) will be the clear canidates for go to guys when defenses get tough. And Noels if he comes.

5. . JB does a Very Very great job masking how to bump and get players open off the ball while making screens blatantly obvious.

6. Because of the above I don't think Brandon will be the 1st option scorer. He could be our go to guy receiving a quick pass though.

Nice. Have any older siblings in the class of 1989? That was her year. Her family is still there - mom and brother.

Alright, I'm out. Good debate. Always enjoy talking about my favorite team.
Last name?

Really? Everyone could take it to the hole against Wisconsin. That's why we won.

Do you think Dion was a great facilitator? Dion was a score first guard, I don't think anyone would disagree with that, and still had pretty much the same number of assists. I just consider him a better creator because he gets to the rim more often, etc...I

As far as turnovers, Dion was far more aggressive with the ball and he still had less TO per game.

I really do like BT, but I think all of the nobody will ever pass to him, and my favorite from last year, his missed threes are actually assists (my favorite posts EVER btw) posts have left me a little jaded. :) I mean post after post arguing that missed shots were actually assists...insanity. I don't know, it just seems like the expectation are a tad unrealistic to me.

He should probably get around 15ppg, but it will be in much the same fashion as now, just with more minutes to increase the numbers.

Never saw that missed three was an assist post. Interesting.

Considering that BT and Dion were playing the same role - the 2 guard, I don't see your point regarding the creator discussion. I don't think Dion was a great facilitator. And I'm not expecting BT to play in Scoop's role next year as the 1, that's MCWs spot in my mind.

As for the Wisconsin game - I'd argue that Dion and Joseph were the ones who had trouble getting to the rim and finishing that game.

As for the Wisconsin game - I'd argue that Dion and Joseph were the ones who had trouble getting to the rim and finishing that game.

Brandon gets to the rim off a pass not in isolation. When you have the ball in isolation on the three point line the whole defense focuses on you you are practically a point guard. Dion, Joseph, and Scoop have done that all year. Especially Dion.

When you run motion, catch a pass and start your dribble getting postion over your defender before you even bounce the ball like Brandon does...

1. the whole defense does not see you
2.you are closer to the basket when you catch the pass making it a easier drive
3.when you receive the ball the secondary defenders have less to to react and feel more pressure from it,
4. defenses have to hesitate to watch the second skip pass instead of the first from a guy like Dion who drives and dishes. Making the guy who catches the ball and drives off 3-4 dribbles passing game much easier.
5. Brandon had the lean in jumper in the high post that Scoop and dion didn't. It was soft enough to bounce in with little arc to rattle in and he had so much height on his jump and strength to aid it.

Brandon gets to the rim off a pass not in isolation. When you have the ball in isolation on the three point line the whole defense focuses on you you are practically a point guard. Dion, Joseph, and Scoop have done that all year. Especially Dion.

When you run motion, catch a pass and start your dribble getting postion over your defender before you even bounce the ball like Brandon does...

3.when you receive the ball the secondary defenders have less to to react and feel more pressure from it,
4. defenses have to hesitate to watch the second skip pass instead of the first from a guy like Dion who drives and dishes. Making the guy who catches the ball and drives off 3-4 dribbles passing game much easier.
5. Brandon had the lean in jumper in the high post that Scoop and dion didn't. It was soft enough to bounce in with little arc to rattle in and he had so much height on his jump and strength to aid it.
Bro i though we agreed on 3 sentences or less for you.

Um no.

Sent from my DROIDX

But if he was from Delaware we'd be wondering how he ever started a game the last 3 years.

This is such horse poo. I for one could not care less where Triche is from. And I would bet a lot of money Boeheim doesn't care, either.

Just last season, Bilas called him "the best player on the team."

Just last Saturday, he led the team in scoring in less than 30 minutes and Raftery called him "amazing."

Some of you guys need to get a grip.

Brandon's value is maximized when he's aggressive, takes it hard to the rim, and starts scoring. That opens up mid-range and shots from three.

The last three years, he's been in a situation where he deferred to Andy (and Wes, etc..), had the older/leader Scoop out there, and then NBA-ready Dion, a guy JB acclaimed one of the best guards in the country. I think these scenarios stymied his potential.

Next year, he'll be the senior guard, the guy JB is going to look to lead this team. JB will repeatedly tell him to be aggressive and without Dion (and Scoop), he will.

His D is already top-notch and when the mental-side catches with the physical-side, which I think it will next year, I expect a big jump.

He will lead the team in minutes, points, and start to pull down more boards as his confidence takes off. Also, the fact BT is on the team will mean we'll see DC have a fantastic season, at least on the offensive end. DC will be comfortable out there and coupled with his fantastic skill set, I'll be shocked if DC doesn't avg at least 10 a game next year.
I couldn't agree more! Same can be said for Dirty...he needs to believe in himself. He has the physical tools to dominate.

I couldn't agree more! Same can be said for Dirty...he needs to believe in himself. He has the physical tools to dominate.

Good point about JS, too. I like how he was playing with more confidence. I think next year he takes a bit step, too.

Will he be able to handle the pressure? Also I don't think he's going to be the go to guy when we need a bucket. Triche is more of a role player instead of a leader.

I pasted Bees post below because it's dead on. Do you (and others with the same take) not watch the games, or listen to what JB says as it relates to Brandon? There is a reason why the head coach called the first play of the game for Brandon. He wants him to get going because he knows his value. There's a reason why he said "Brandon doesn't know how good he is yet.", or "next year will be Brandon's year".

Why does OTTO123 question if he can handle the pressure, think he won't be a go to guy and think he is a roll player, when a guy with almost 900 wins, our guy, thinks Brandon will be dynamite next year? I too am just another arm-chair internet guy, like yourself, but I'm smart enough to listen to those that know stuff about baskeball, esp. SU basketball, when it comes to talking about Brandon or other SU players.

Did you question why in 3 of our NCAA games he scored our first basket and once our first 2 as he came out aggressive but then when Dion came in it was Triche and not Scoop that came out? Nobody in Pitt could figure it out especially against KSU when Scoop threw a ball away and did an ole defense giving up a 3 and Brandon hits 2 shots and rims out a 3 only to see Scoop stay on the court and him come out for Dion. Strange.

That frustrated me, too, but IMHO, I think JB really wanted Scoop to get going knowing the high ball screen would be our bread and butter and wanted Scoop in there to get to the rim, despite the lapses on d, or TO's. In fact, JB had sent BT to the table to pull DION when didn't did fight through the screen, so JB was aware of lapses...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom