I think we’re looking at a big 2023 season.. | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

I think we’re looking at a big 2023 season..

Im excited for our bowl but while we wait for our selection it doesn’t hurt to look at positives moving forward.

We know we lose: Coley, Berg, Mikel Jones, GW, Cooper, Elmore

Its likely we lose: Sean Tucker and unknown names to portal attrition

However we get back Thompson, Lockett and Jacquez… among other big names that played most of the season far less than 100%.

We know Duce, Marlowe, Darton and Jahad were all playing hurt.

We get a rejuvenated Mob, thats bigger, older and healthy.

We get back multiple proven commodities at wideout between Oronde, Alford and Adams.

RB still looks solid with Allen. Does Price have another year? The incoming freshman looka great

The O line will continue to get better. At what speed that happens will likely determine our ceiling.

A lot of competition in the QB room. 4 guys who likely would see starting time at most p5 schools. Look to Shrader to continue to progress. Lamson is intriguing after his spring game performance. CDRW is an exciting raw talent. Sellers looks to be the real deal as well.

Whatre you guys thinking going into 2023?
And the O and D lines? Yeah, I don't see them any better or bigger. Our schedule shouldn't be as hard. That would be a plus.

Agree with all said here dino needs to fix this o line it’s not fair to the qb and everyone else. If we do not address the d and offensive lines this off season then my expectations will be extremely low.

We need a punter...to me that has been a liability this season. Or the one we have needs to really improve. So either a special teams coach to work with the one we have or a really really good maybe JC proven punter.

I think the offensive line performed admirably in the absence of Berg, Ellis, and Bleich in the Wake Forest game.

Cruz Jr is playing well, Iloa seems to be doing well. They held their own. Ellis returns. I am hopeful for the o line going forward

Either fix the injury problem or get better players for depth. It's been a recurring problem for a decade or longer. It seems systematic within the program.

I agree we need better players. Year in and year out we applaud commits who picked Cuse over schools like Rutgers, Temple, William and Marry, Akron or Buffalo. If we are ever going to win consistently on the field we need to a in the recruiting battles. You don’t get better players by recruiting the same players that are be recruited by schools like Coastal Carolina or Appalachian State.

Regarding your comment about fixing the injury problem which I believe you also said was systemic, please tell us how you would FIX the injury problem. I look forward to you response.

Regarding the recruiting:

- Players routinely recruited by the top programs (Clemson, Ohio State, Penn St etc…) are on the average more developed coming out of HS than the guys we sign out of HS. They often start college more developed and have a higher upside than the average player who commits to Cuse. There’s a saying in football, “big fish eat little fish”. Meaning our underdeveloped players are going to get beat up by bigger and more developed players at another school.

- Coach Monroe is often praised for his ability to recruit. But, is he bringing in players who can help help Cuse compete with the more physical teams in the ACC?

- Coach White is often mentioned as a HC candidate. I love what he does with the talent he has. But, isn’t recruiting partly his responsibility too? Our lack of size and depth on the defensive line didn’t happen overnight. Coach White has been here for three years now. He needs to recruit better too.

You know who the most athletic, no-nonsense, die-hard player is on this team? Kevon Darton. I don't care how freaking tall he is or what his weight is. Opposing centers have their hands full. This kid does not get enough mention

Too much uncertainty at OL, QB, RB for me.

Who steps in, steps up - the OL was hot trash against decent teams.

QB - if Shrader returns, sure, we are cooking. If not, it's growing pains.

RB - can Allen and Price shoulder the load and produce, consistently?

WR - Jones come back healthy to help OG? Does anyone else step up and contribute consistently?

DL - can we find any decent, talented size to help Darton?

I've got high hopes for Rashard Perry coming in ready to contribute in the middle of the Dline.

My question, though, is how much the season-ending injuries will take away from the quickness and agility of our players next season? A fast and full recovery from an ACL is not a sure thing - just look at Tredavious White on the Bills - a year later and he's still progressing slowly.

Last edited:
There’s really no way to gauge next season until we see how all the player movement shakes out.

I do think the schedule is generally favorable. Lots of potentially winnable home games. So glad we ditched the divisional set up, great having GaTech and VaTech instead of NC State and Louisville.

There’s really no way to gauge next season until we see how all the player movement shakes out.

I do think the schedule is generally favorable. Lots of potentially winnable home games. So glad we ditched the divisional set up, great having GaTech and VaTech instead of NC State and Louisville.
Though NC State and Louisville might have been a good match up for us next year w/ both losing their QB.

@ Purdue - who are minus O’Connell & Jones. And Durham.

Home vs Army, W Michigan, Colgate.

That should be no worse than 3-1.
Outside chance (W @ Purdue) at 4-0.

It’s the new no divisions ACC schedule, so kinda hard to say how tough it is or isn’t.
Still have Clemson & @FSU to face.
Plus @UNC.

How are all our costal opponents on the road next year? How did we end up with Clemson again in the middle of the season followed by Pitt? ACC doing us zero favors.

Though NC State and Louisville might have been a good match up for us next year w/ both losing their QB.
Fair. I guess it goes back to my first point. We won’t know how they’ll replace those QBs for a couple months. And we won’t even know our QB until then either.

We have a small class for 2023, and players will leave the program. I really think that the portal will be the make-or-break for next season.

We need: 1 DT, 1 DL, 2 OL, and 1 or 2 WR who can play meaningful minutes. Maybe another solid-depth CB. With these pieces, I think 2023 will be a fun year!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom