I think we’re looking at a big 2023 season.. | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

I think we’re looking at a big 2023 season..

Get a good Center and a TE. My god this offense with a TE who can block and catch.
Yes . There was no one on the roster who could fill the role this season. I really liked Mahar out of high school but if he can’t beat out an OG or an inexperienced foreigner he might want to consider transferring.
Mang and Hoeh were a constant weak spot. This has to be the number 1 priority on offense.

Judging on the economic situation going into 2023 the best place for a kid right now is staying in college and getting more degrees.
?? Companies can't find enough warm bodies to hire. There is nobody left looking for a job.

?? Companies can't find enough warm bodies to hire. There is nobody left looking for a job.
a recession will impact jobs.

All I'm saying is not a bad option to stay in school for free, get another degree and play football. To me, it's an awesome no-brainer

I still say DL is fine even with the returning players.
Interior: Lockett, Darton, Fuentes, and maybe Josh Hough plus the freshman Bassette.
Edge: Okechukwu, Linton, Geer, Jobity, etc.
Could potentially rotate 8-10 guys along the line next season.

I've done this breakdown several times since Lockett got injured earlier in the season.

We have a TON of returning guys at both DT and DE, the vast majority of whom played extensively this year.

Darton was an iron man [really, his play this year was about as best case scenario as it could be, with him having limited support after Lockett went down]. Next year, you not only get Lockett back, but Fuentes-Cundiff is now a year older, we also have Bassette / Hough at DT, and Perry as an incoming frosh.

Philosophically, I understand why people are clamoring for a transfer portal DT. But it all comes down to whether the staff believes that having an expanded rotation of guys will help the DL hold up better against the run. Hough [dealing with an injury this year] is over 320 pounds at 6-3. Probably needs to shed some weight and work back into game shape, but he might be able to step into the role of a situationally "bigger" DT.

Geer, Jobity, Simmons, Okechuckwu all played extensively, and the first three will have an offseason to get stronger. Linton won't add weight, but he's a fifth guy who's contributed a ton. So we have both talent and depth at DE, too. Jacquez was just beginning to get more snaps when he got injured -- he'll be back, and Nolton was a quality "get" who will likely play more going forward. Loaded with experience, with lots of new faces pushing for a role in the two-deep at DE.

I'm much more concerned about upgrading the OL, and would be more interested in the limited # of scholarships we have available go toward bringing in starting caliber guys on that line.

OL
TE
WR

Those are the biggest portal / JUCO* transfer priorities, in my opinion.

* Would kill to see us land that center JUCO prospect.

Last edited:
I'm much more concerned about upgrading the OL, and would be more interested in the limited # of scholarships we have available go toward bringing in starting caliber guys on that line.

OL
TE
WR

Those are the biggest portal / JUCO* transfer priorities, in my opinion.

* Would kill to see us land that center JUCO prospect.

Completely agree here. With Bleich coming back now, it's imperative to get a good Center. The interior should be solidified then they can figure out if a RT is needed depending on what happens in the spring.

I still say DL is fine even with the returning players.
Interior: Lockett, Darton, Fuentes, and maybe Josh Hough plus the freshman Bassette.
Edge: Okechukwu, Linton, Geer, Jobity, etc.
Could potentially rotate 8-10 guys along the line next season.

Regarding the edge that doesn't even take into account the two kids who were in the two deep and didn't finish the season. Simmons and Jacquez.

Defensively we're going to be very very good, but I think we do need to bring in a DT.

a recession will impact jobs.

All I'm saying is not a bad option to stay in school for free, get another degree and play football. To me, it's an awesome no-brainer
Absolutely. Get an MBA & play the game you love.

A recession is not happening. Ours is a consumption driven economy. Black Friday set an all time record and Cyber Monday is expected to do the same. Why? Everybody is working and everybody has money.

Get a good Center and a TE. My god this offense with a TE who can block and catch.
Unicorn hunting

Much easier to find a small fast guy to spread out

"Tight ends are a blast if you have them," Leach said in an ESPN article back in 2017. "If you have a true tight end – and I mean a true tight end – then life is good. God didn't make very many true tight ends. Just go to the mall and the big long-armed guys you see at the mall – you'll see a couple, but most of them can't run fast and those that can probably can't catch. So there's not very many of them."

Unicorn hunting

"Tight ends are a blast if you have them," Leach said in an ESPN article back in 2017. "If you have a true tight end – and I mean a true tight end – then life is good. God didn't make very many true tight ends. Just go to the mall and the big long-armed guys you see at the mall – you'll see a couple, but most of them can't run fast and those that can probably can't catch. So there's not very many of them."
How many guys do people want being “tight ends” They already have a commitment from a 6-7 265lb kid. They have Mang, Mahar, Hoeh and from a roster label Gadsden and Villari.

They were all sophomores and redshirt freshman.

That’s enough

How many guys do people want being “tight ends” They already have a commitment from a 6-7 265lb kid. They have Mang, Mahar, Hoeh and from a roster label Gadsden and Villari.

They were all sophomores and redshirt freshman.

That’s enough

Depends on how we're going to use them.

None of them block particularly well. Will they next year? Doubt the true freshman will, and I doubt the QB turned TE will.

Or just stop relying on them to block, and then we're probably fine.

Unicorn hunting

Probably true, and I love the quote.

We lost 2 TEs to the transfer portal and people worried about it.

Benson caught 9 passes for 85 yards at Georgia Tech. Right on par with what he did here.

Six TEs caught passes for Utah, and none of them were named Landon Morris.

Above all...
Cuse MUST revamp nutrition, strength and conditioning programs.
There are teams we cannot go "toe-to-toe" with and by November 1st, that means just about anyone.
Everyone except Ellis and Bleich need to put on 5 to 40 lbs, be stronger and just as fast.
Well only if you want to beat the Pitts, UNCs, Fla St...

Depends on how we're going to use them.

None of them block particularly well. Will they next year? Doubt the true freshman will, and I doubt the QB turned TE will.

Or just stop relying on them to block, and then we're probably fine.

Spot on.

We saw against Purdue and Notre Dame the value of having a TE threat who creates mismatch problems. Anae has a track record of extensive use of TEs, so if we're going to use one -- it better be like how TEs were used at UVa.

If they're going to use TEs only to max protect, then I agree with Millhouse. But if we can get somebody better than Mang, who would likely be covered down the middle by a LB [too slow] or a S [too small] then I'd love to see it.

Need to beef up on ability to stop the run and get more consistency at WR. Qb needs to stay healthy enough to run the ball and 7 or 8 wins would be a good season imo.

Benson caught 9 passes for 85 yards at Georgia Tech. Right on par with what he did here.

Deep down, people still feel like it's a gimmick to have fewer big people in the way of running backs and QBs. I'm baffled at why two headed manhoe ever saw the field. My only beef with anae

It was the whole point of Baylor's offense. Then they had some fun with a 400 lb guy with hands not realizing that was the gimmick

Did troy dinglegrabber ever catch a pass anywhere?

Unicorn hunting

Fair enough. Truthfully they just need to improve pass blocking...

Yeah, Morris will get his turn though.

TE is a big part of what Utah runs. He has a lot of experienced guys ahead of him that are likely NFL guys.

Why do ppl question if Shrader is coming back ? Where’s he going ?? No reason to transfer considering he’s a returning ACC starter.
He’s not going to the nfl
There’s no doubt he’s coming back folks
In his post game Q/A he stated it was "Good to go out with a win". That could certainly be interpreted a couple ways but that is typically in the context of ending your time with a win. I am not saying he is leaving but that is his quote. Maybe it means something and maybe it is something else.

In his post game Q/A he stated it was "Good to go out with a win". That could certainly be interpreted a couple ways but that is typically in the context of ending your time with a win. I am not saying he is leaving but that is his quote. Maybe it means something and maybe it is something else.

I think you're interpretation is atypical.

Sounds pretty clear like he was referring to this season ending on a positive note, not implying that his time with the team is done. That's reading into it.

I think you're interpretation is atypical.

Sounds pretty clear like he was referring to this season ending on a positive note, not implying that his time with the team is done. That's reading into it.
Just saw him say it on Orange Nation and so shared it because people are talking like he is 100 percent coming back and I don't think that has been actually stated. Take the data point however the F you want dude...geez.

Just saw him say it on Orange Nation and so shared it because people are talking like he is 100 percent coming back and I don't think that has been actually stated. Take the data point however the F you want dude...geez.

Chillax. Someone disagreed with your subjective interpretive opinion -- no need to get defensive.

Chillax. Someone disagreed with your subjective interpretive opinion -- no need to get defensive.
Lol actually that is how I read your response. That is why I added the geez. Figured you needed to chillax because I was just offering a quote I had heard on TV and literally said it could mean a few things. All good and for the record this is why I don't do Twitter at all.

Lol actually that is how I read your response. That is why I added the geez. Figured you needed to chillax because I was just offering a quote I had heard on TV and literally said it could mean a few things. All good and for the record this is why I don't do Twitter at all.
All good

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom