I think were ranked too low | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

I think were ranked too low

#23 seems more than generous after watching a lot of other teams so far. These teams tonight KY, Duke, Kansas & Sparty are in a different class. We'd lose by 20 to any of these teams at this point unless we get Coleman back.

I don't know about KU and MSU. Less top level talent than usual for both IMO. They will obviously get better and be very good teams but I'm thinking neither is really a top10 squad althouth VT's point about the rankings not mattering a whole lot after the top 2 is accurate at this point.

A couple of comments. Remember JB's best teams are the ones that are unranked or not ranked very high with younger guys. I think he coaches harder to get the young guys to develop over the season. We have three glue guys in G, Cooney and Roc. They should steady the ship, when it gets a little bouncy. I'm expecting a Sweet Sixteen or Elite Eight run this year, with a team peaking at the end of the year instead of last year performance. I think our guys were worn out last year at tournament time. Shooting goes when your legs go. I think that nine guys will be rotating on certain nights with this team. I really think that Buss is the key to whole season, we need some three point shooting off the bench. Front line will be fine and steadily improve as the season goes on.

Huh? No. Duke and UK look good. MSU looks like a less talented version of Cuse and Kansas' Frontcourt isn't in the same area code as ours.
Kentucky made Kansas look bad. That's how good they are (I hate to admit it). If we get by California & Texas then we'll see but neither of those teams could hang with KY or Duke.

I don't know about KU and MSU. Less top level talent than usual for both IMO. They will obviously get better and be very good teams but I'm thinking neither is really a top10 squad althouth VT's point about the rankings not mattering a whole lot after the top 2 is accurate at this point.
I'll take both teams improving over the course of the season. Cuse - well I think history has shown our teams rarely improve much or maintain fresh legs. Both KU & MichSt have great coaches, every bit as good as Boeheim is.

Last edited:
dont get the coleman post either.
It's called depth when Roc gets in foul trouble (not sure if you'd noticed but he's been known to have foul trouble). Coleman isn't an All American but he can provide more offensive than Chino will ever be able to this year. Please watch more basketball other than SU. Good teams have depth

Cuse4ever said:
I'll take both teams improving over the course of the season. Cuse - well I think history has shown our teams rarely improve much or maintain fresh legs. Oh BTW, both KU & MichSt have great coaches.

SU also has a great coach.

Cuse4ever said:
It's called depth when Roc gets in foul trouble (not sure if you'd noticed but he's been known to have foul trouble). Coleman isn't an All American but he can provide more offensive than Chino will ever be able to this year. Please watch more basketball other than SU. Good teams have depth

Some do some don't. Like JB, some shorten the bench in big games. Like Duke. The 2 winningest coaches.

I'll take both teams improving over the course of the season. Cuse - well I think history has shown our teams rarely improve much or maintain fresh legs. Both KU & MichSt have great coaches, every bit as good as Boeheim is.

Do you think that MSU and KU have better talent than SU this year or just better coaches?

Preseason rankings will always exist because people are interested in them and it gives fodder for debate for discussion amongst fans... be it homers, haters, optomists, pessimists, and these things will always be hotly discussed.

Beyond that .. meh.
They also exist for TV advertising for early games.

I think we're ranked right where we should be. Lots of new faces, lots of scoring to make up from last year's attrition losses, lots of unknowns.

That doesn't mean that this team doesn't have the potential to climb much higher in the ratings, but the first two games demonstrated that this team has a lot of work to do before they should be considered a top 10 team [or whatever]. Again, doesn't mean that they can't get there. But today--right now--there's some things that need to improve. We'll find out a lot over the next two games. Win both, and our national profile will jump.

Do you think that MSU and KU have better talent than SU this year or just better coaches?

You could make the case that KU has better talent, and that Self and Izzo are better coaches. All three are top 10.

The "insert highly ranked team here" doesn't impress me at all is one of my favorite posts of the first few weeks of the season.

We'll have a much better idea of where we stand by about 9:30 Friday night (hopefully not till then as opposed to 7 or so on Friday). None of the rankings right now mean anything, so who cares?

Jay Bilas made a good point yesterday. Our defense will win us 25 games. Our offense will determine whether we are good, very good, or elite.

That about sums it up. 25 wins might be a TAD high for a team still with lots of 'splainin to do on offense. But if things gel, we can certainly eclipse that mark.

23? Really? Nebraska is ranked higher than us. I know we lost a lot but we have crazy amount of talent every year now. Our front court is one of the best in the nation. I find it hard to believe there are 10 better teams than us.

:noidea:

You could make the case that KU has better talent, and that Self and Izzo are better coaches. All three are top 10.

I thought talent wise that KU probably had better talent than us until last night. Still they played far and away the most talented team so I'll have to watch them in other games but I came away wondering who if any on KU was an obvious NBA player.

Stating that Self and Izzo are better coaches than JB like its fact is pretty interesting. Objectively depending on how you look at it its a valid opinion but so is saying JB is a better coach than either of them.

23? Really? Nebraska is ranked higher than us. I know we lost a lot but we have crazy amount of talent every year now. Our front court is one of the best in the nation. I find it hard to believe there are 10 better teams than us.

Be patient, my friend. If we go 2-0 at MSG, we'll scoot up in the rankings and probably be on the cusp of the Top 15. If we go 1-1, our current ranking is appropriate. And if we go 0-2, we don't belong in the Top 25 at this point.

I thought talent wise that KU probably had better talent than us until last night. Still they played far and away the most talented team so I'll have to watch them in other games but I came away wondering who if any on KU was an obvious NBA player.

Stating that Self and Izzo are better coaches than JB like its fact is pretty interesting. Objectively depending on how you look at it its a valid opinion but so is saying JB is a better coach than either of them.

I'm not stating anything as fact. Just that you can make a decent argument. All three coaches are very close together IMO.

I'm not stating anything as fact. Just that you can make a decent argument. All three coaches are very close together IMO.

Reading comprehension issue on my end, took after the comma as its own statement. I agree that the case can be made either way.

#23 seems more than generous after watching a lot of other teams so far. These teams tonight KY, Duke, Kansas & Sparty are in a different class. We'd lose by 20 to any of these teams at this point unless we get Coleman back.

kansas is not that good. and frankly, MSU aint that great either. I dont think Kansas is top 20 to be honest. MSU is decent, and prob pull the Tom Izzo and play best bball at end of year... but right now they arent beating us by 20. Cuse is prob beating Kansas right now. They have looked worse than us through 2 games including a stinker vs a cupcake.

I'd rather have Roc than Ellis. I like our point guard situation better. CMAC is as talented as any big they have. They might have better 2's and 3's, but thats it. Kansas is ranked 5th because when is the last time they didn't win their league?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom