I unabashedly support Dino Babers as the coach of the future. | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

I unabashedly support Dino Babers as the coach of the future.

I feel like it’s kind of lame saying who supports or who doesn’t etc because he will be back.

but we are staring a 1-10 season down. That’s 1-10. Yeah hard to really say anything good right now at the moment.

Or you're the chumps.
Fans on here who are DB supporters and SU defenders to the end act as if it's impossible for us to win 6-8 games regularly with the occasional big year and off year, 3/4 years the OOC should be cupcakes and guaranteed 4-0, the other year do one P5 team and go 3-1, half the time ND fills that spot.
If we can't win 2-3 ACC games a year then we should go join the American. You do that and start building an actual base and momentum then start having a real OOC schedule.

Or you're the chumps.
unnamed.jpg

Like Penn State, Baylor, Texas Tech, and Mississippi State? And they’re all in fertile recruiting grounds.
Didn't no baylor and miss state coaches are in year one, then don't forget they had an entire new coaching staff with no spring and not just new OC's like we have, both have had injuries, also was unaware our only 2 losses came to ranked teams like penn state, tech is in year two of a new coach and more wins than us.

I can live with giving him next year but it has to be a winning season that's not debatable. Let's say he goes 1 and 10 this year and 4 and 8 next year. How many schools are keeping their coach after going 4 and 8 4 and 8 10 and 3 5 and 7 1 and 10 and 4 and 8?
BC fired Addazio for being a .500 Coach. I'd love .500 at this point.

I am in the middle here. i don't give Dino unabashed support, but neither do I dump him or require a winning season next year. For me, at this point I will accept whatever lumps we take this season and write it off to special circumstances. However, for me to continue to support Dino after this season, two things must happen:

1. The program needs to uptrend next season. Probably that means a minimum of 4 or 5 wins, but also playing tough in all games.

2. We absolutely need an upgrade at QB over Tommy. Dino has had enough time to bring in a QB who can get it done. We need to see that guy next season. He can be a young player and we can live through growing pains, but he must have serious upside potential.

In the end we can't win without an above average QB, and we have to see a player with that potential next season so that we can have a realistic chance to have a winning season in two years.

this guy legimately wanted mackie macpherson bad as out next coach after shafer was let go. Id probably ignore him.
Macky is a intelligent young guy, high academic achievement who I'm sure learned a lot about coaching from his grandfather. He would take a lesser salary and have a huge budget for the best staff. Not that much different than what Northwestern did with Pat Fitzgerald.

Ok tough sell, but with the investments made it should start to become less of a tough sell. Others schools are pulling it off. The current level of recruiting is rearing it‘s ugly head. It should not look and feel like years one and two of a new coaching regime in year five.

I've been around for a long time. My first year as a cheerleader at Syracuse was Ben Schwartzwalder's last year. My last 25 years have been as an Executive Recruiter. I've recruited to Syracuse before. It's a tough sell. I think I know talent when I see it. 2020 sucks...big time...but, Dino's still expressing a positive message; he's still looking ahead and he's still representing the values we want in a coach. He's not going to give up. Neither should we.
Were you offering $4,000,000 a year when you were having trouble selling Syracuse?

How do you know Dino isn’t looking ahead to 2021 and what he sees is Tommy as his starting QB and Rex as his back-up.

I am not advocating this but wouldn’t be entirely shocked if that were to happen.
Rex SB #4 or 5 on the DC. Sevelop the kids this year. There's better talent there.

I read the same things about Maloney, who did a great job bringing in some talent, and would have benefited from the brand new Dome.

I read the same things about Coach Mac, who took 5-7 years to get things on track even with the Dome.

I read the same posts about Coach P who gave us the most sustained stretch of winning that we had had in decades, in a more challenging environment. I don’t think anyone here would question that had we invested in the program rather than waiting until after P had been fired to do so, that we would have been better off.

I don’t doubt HCDM is perfect for SU. It will happen, maybe not on the timeline anyone expected, but it will happen.

Just seeing the name Maloney aggravates me. He was not going to find success here even with the dome (I am somewhat biased, to be fair). Maloney treated too many of his players poorly.

As to this thread, I support Dino as long as he is our head coach. I'm not going to blindly believe he will steer the ship on to the correct course though. I like the recruiting class he has coming in, if he can hold onto it. To be as thin as we are 5 years into his tenure as head coach is not a sign of success. I'm also frustrated he didn't build off of the 10 win season more. Regardless, Dino will be here for at least one more season. We need an offensive identity for next year because we haven't had one all year.

Just seeing the name Maloney aggravates me. He was not going to find success here even with the dome (I am somewhat biased, to be fair). Maloney treated too many of his players poorly.

As to this thread, I support Dino as long as he is our head coach. I'm not going to blindly believe he will steer the ship on to the correct course though. I like the recruiting class he has coming in, if he can hold onto it. To be as thin as we are 5 years into his tenure as head coach is not a sign of success. I'm also frustrated he didn't build off of the 10 win season more. Regardless, Dino will be here for at least one more season. We need an offensive identity for next year because we haven't had one all year.
This blew my mind (and still blows my mind). IMHO, our system is either a gimmick or lives and dies by talent.

I know Briles developed it to address talent gaps, which it did really well, but I think it worked so well because it was unique and nobody was prepared for. Now everyone on the planet is ready for it, so we're left with an approach that decreases the role of luck in deciding games, which hurts the less talented team. In theory, high reps and highlights should lead to better recruiting, which would moot the talent gap, and I genuinely thought we had an opportunity to sell that vision when we were on our way to 10 wins and a #13 ranking. However, there was no discernable uptick. I'm not sure if we got unlucky, lazy, or if we just didn't have the right stuff to recruit, but we can't let another opportunity like that (such as a renovated Dome) slip through our grasp again.

Macky is a intelligent young guy, high academic achievement who I'm sure learned a lot about coaching from his grandfather. He would take a lesser salary and have a huge budget for the best staff. Not that much different than what Northwestern did with Pat Fitzgerald.

lol.

I can live with giving him next year but it has to be a winning season that's not debatable. Let's say he goes 1 and 10 this year and 4 and 8 next year. How many schools are keeping their coach after going 4 and 8 4 and 8 10 and 3 5 and 7 1 and 10 and 4 and 8?
nobody that’s is taking football seriously!

Let’s hire Millhouse as the next HC. I know he will run the offense I want to see and know when to punt and not punt.
Plus we can hire a good staff around him because he will be cheap.

This take is hilarious. The kid isn’t even a coordinator at the collegiate level but make him a P5 HC.

No way we’ll be able to pry Macky from UMass after they join the B1G.

He’s gonna rewrite his grandpa’s Minutemen record and own the B1G after they replace Nebraska.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom