I usually dislike the BBall board after a loss | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

I usually dislike the BBall board after a loss

I think the people that are watching these games see how poorly the team is playing despite the result on the scoreboard. JB said it earlier this year, but the team is struggling to do simple things right. Grabbing rebounds, picking up loose balls, bounce passes, lay-ups. The team's inability to do basic fundamental things right is making for some ugly ugly basketball out there. That win last night was only because Tech was more mind-numbingly ineffective than SU. It's getting more difficult by the game to envision this team somehow putting it together before the season ends. Too many players performing at below average level. Maybe SU fans are spoiled. Maybe we should expect better from this group and coaches. Either way it's way below the standard for SU basketball.

Or we just missed a bunch of open shots.

Its not about the wins and losses. These were two AWFUL teams we played. Just terrible and we barely squeaked by in both. These are games we should win. Our schedule is so back loaded we need to rack up every win we can get so starting 2-0 is great but how can anyone feel warm and fuzzy after last nights performance?

This whole argument of "we will be better come March" is a crock of chit. This team is who we thought they would be. Very mediocre and wildly inconsistent who will struggle to even make the NCAA's this year. It is what it is. The lack of consistent play from our forwards and both our PG's are holding this team back right now. We will not become a real good team this year all of a sudden. We made some improvements that will result in some good games from time to time (Villanova) but we will also throw in clunkers in and lose to anyone on our schedule and will certainly get dominated by the better teams in the league if we continue to play this way.

Aside from the Villanova game there hasnt been that improvement that I was hoping to see.

It's always about wins and losses. If you don't win, you have no chance at making the tourney.

As for the rest of your diatribe - Yep. They are who we thought the were. A borderline tourney team. The people who are really upset are the ones with crazy expectations. I do not. And yet, I'm still glad we won.

It could be worse. Imagine how GT fans are feeling today. And for that matter, we could easily be 0-2. We're not, we're 2-0 on the road, and I feel a lot better about that than I did at 25-1 after BC last year. Yes, I said that, because we were trending downward then, but upward now. There are certainly tougher times ahead, but I coached at a Catholic HS and I told the kids, "Don't pray for an easy victory, pray for strength during the battle."

Go Orange.

If my kid is a career A student and he starts coming home one semester with D's and C's you think I'm going to be pleased that he's passing even though we know there can be better?

Bad analogy. Winning and Losing is simply pass/fail. There’s no in-between. A win doesn’t count any less than an A

This reminds me of last year when we were sqeaking by mediocre teams at home and posters were beating their chests about how "great teams find a way to win."

If people can't look past 2-0 on the road and see our level of play and put that against the back end of our schedule, and understand why some of us are less than ecstatic...well whatever.

the poor play is not lost on Boeheim so what is everybody jumping up and down about.

its a very young flawed team that has trouble making shots. they guy can't wave a magic wand.

This reminds me of last year when we were sqeaking by mediocre teams at home and posters were beating their chests about how "great teams find a way to win."

If people can't look past 2-0 on the road and see our level of play and put that against the back end of our schedule, and understand why some of us are less than ecstatic...well whatever.

I'm okay with what you're saying doc, but the relentless moaning and gnashing of teeth (which frankly is beginning to sound like entitlement unrequited) around parts extant is like a squeak in the fan motor. It seems that those who engage in dumping on the team somehow are trying to take a superior top-down view to distance themselves from it, perhaps absolving themselves of some misplaced fear of culpability in it all?

Last edited:
the poor play is not lost on Boeheim so what is everybody jumping up and down about.

its a very young flawed team that has trouble making shots. they guy can't wave a magic wand.

Hey bees, can I "Like" this twice? :)

I'm okay with what you're saying doc, but the relentless moaning and gnashing of teeth (which frankly is beginning to sound like unrequited entitlement) around parts extant is like a squeak in the fan motor. It seems that those who engage in dumping on the team somehow are trying to take a superior top-down view to distance themselves from it, perhaps absolving themselves of some misplaced fear of culpability in it all?

My fear is more based in the idea that, knowing next year we're going to have a lot of talent and a real shot, is it going to come up short again like it did the previous 4 years.

This year was more a year of seeing what the coaches did with a lot less talent than they've had in nearly 7 years, and I'm not liking what I'm seeing.

Cowtown said:
Hey bees, can I "Like" this twice? :)

Sure. When you figure out how, let us know.

My fear is more based in the idea that, knowing next year we're going to have a lot of talent and a real shot, is it going to come up short again like it did the previous 4 years.

This year was more a year of seeing what the coaches did with a lot less talent than they've had in nearly 7 years, and I'm not liking what I'm seeing.

And that's fair, too. Remember, learning is a process, not an event.

But now I have to see SU fans complain, moan and spew after a win too? It's bizarre and disheartening.
It use to be that I would record almost every SU game. Going to the ACC move a lot of the games to a station I can't record. That was bad enough but last year and this year, the games are so hard to watch that I find it difficult to go back and watch them again. Of the games last year, there are only a few I can stand watching again, but most are soooooo boring I can't. If I had been able to record that game last night, I probably would NEVER go back and watch it again.

But now I have to see SU fans complain, moan and spew after a win too? It's bizarre and disheartening.

:blah:

I say this tongue in cheek.

I thought this was the prism we view things through as fans (in order):

1. Blowout win, looked ready to compete for championship
2. Average win, looked good for a half
3. Close win, looked bad
4. Close loss, looked good
5. Average loss, looked bad for a half
6. Blowout loss, looked like Rutgers

I only get excited for 1-2. But I'd rather have #3 over 4-6 - no matter how we looked playing.

Really, you don't like what you're seeing considering a 5-3 start when the chicken littles were saying the next game is a "MUST WIN" that early in the season?

Rak aside, GBinje and Roberson are night and day better than they were. Patterson is slowly improving. You’re talking 2 of those guys were completely lost and on the bench last year. Now they’re contributing. Add in 2 Freshman starters who are actually performing like freshman but have their moment. The team is now 11-4, (2-0) both roadies.

Since Kaleb Joseph had that miserable 8 turnover game he’s gone 30 Assists 11 Turnovers – almost 3:1

The only problem with last night was the woeful 34% shooting and to some extent the glass. But again, they won, and made 2 FT’s when it mattered.

if next year is what matters then next year looks good imho.

Really, you don't like what you're seeing considering a 5-3 start when the chicken littles were saying the next game is a "MUST WIN" that early in the season?

Rak aside, GBinje and Roberson are night and day better than they were. Patterson is slowly improving. You’re talking 2 of those guys were completely lost and on the bench last year. Now they’re contributing. Add in 2 Freshman starters who are actually performing like freshman but have their moment. The team is now 11-4, (2-0) both roadies.

Since Kaleb Joseph had that miserable 8 turnover game he’s gone 30 Assists 11 Turnovers – almost 3:1

The only problem with last night was the woeful 34% shooting and to some extent the glass. But again, they won, and made 2 FT’s when it mattered.

There's some improvement for sure. But the fact is our margin of error is still razor thin. We just beat aa mediocre at best gtech, and a school Bilas picked to finish last in the ACC by a total of three points.

We could continue to improve only to end up the best 18 win team in America.

There's some improvement for sure. But the fact is our margin of error is still razor thin. We just beat aa mediocre at best gtech, and a school Bilas picked to finish last in the ACC by a total of three points.

We could continue to improve only to end up the best 18 win team in America.

Well we lost to the worst team in the ACC last year, so maybe this year's an improvement. :noidea:

Exactly, and it's not a lack of realization that we plaid poorly, we did. As a fan a walk away thankful for an ACC road win WHILE playing poorly.
I agree with your sentiments but it's been a while since we plaid poorly...

CheckeredJacket.jpg

Last edited:
PhatOrange said:
Really, you don't like what you're seeing considering a 5-3 start when the chicken littles were saying the next game is a "MUST WIN" that early in the season? Rak aside, GBinje and Roberson are night and day better than they were. Patterson is slowly improving. You’re talking 2 of those guys were completely lost and on the bench last year. Now they’re contributing. Add in 2 Freshman starters who are actually performing like freshman but have their moment. The team is now 11-4, (2-0) both roadies. Since Kaleb Joseph had that miserable 8 turnover game he’s gone 30 Assists 11 Turnovers – almost 3:1 The only problem with last night was the woeful 34% shooting and to some extent the glass. But again, they won, and made 2 FT’s when it mattered. if next year is what matters then next year looks good imho.
Probably agree with most although not sure I see Patterson improving. At his age i expect a lot more.

I'd be ecstatic if we beat Duke by 20.
I'll be ecstatic if we beat Duke by 1, even if the game is as poorly played as this one was

for all the Pollyannas out there: everyone on this board is happy that Syracuse won. but come on. if you watched, you know that game was epic in its awfulness. it demands to be commented upon.

I'll be ecstatic if we beat Duke by 1, even if the game is as poorly played as this one was

for all the Pollyannas out there: everyone on this board is happy that Syracuse won. but come on. if you watched, you know that game was epic in its awfulness. it demands to be commented upon.

Yep. As I tried to say before - you can be happy we won and not enthused by how we won - all while believing our ceiling is much higher than what we saw.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom