I usually dislike the BBall board after a loss | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

I usually dislike the BBall board after a loss

Yep. As I tried to say before - you can be happy we won and not enthused by how we won - all while believing our ceiling is much higher than what we saw.
Best thing was we won when we could have easily lost. The second best thing was how we won, i.e. Rak making his FT's that won the game. FT's often elude us at the wrong time and Rak was clutch at the end. I hope we find a way to play better as a team. We have a couple of threats but we're not 5 deep in scorers. Other teams don't have to guard everyone the same and it's hurt us. GT is a good rebounding team and that gave them more chances with the ball. We're not that good that we don't have to do SOMETHING well. Rak stepped up and won the game. Well done.

Probably agree with most although not sure I see Patterson improving. At his age i expect a lot more.

He's only a sophomore who played zero last year. He's improving to the point that I'm not terrified he's going to make horrible mistakes with the ball. His defense has improved. He's becoming dependable and has done some nice things. He has a ways to go but thankfully hes showing enough so we can spell Joseph.

Well if you know anything about sports you know that good teams win even when they play bad. Give jab a chance and enjoy watching silent g light it up. Orange goggles on

But it's not just one game. The negatives are a very distinct trend. Yes, we've won five games in a row, but man, we're not really improving.

I haven't read this entire thread b/c it's rather pathetic, but here is the bottom line: if you follow sports and view all wins as equally good and all losses as equally bad you are either extremely simplistic in your general way of thinking or you're 7 years old. If this team plays Kentucky within 4 points but loses I'm pretty fired up knowing we too the best team in the country to the wire. If we beat cornell by 5 I'm pretty bummed out b/c that's not a good sign.

Suggesting that all wins/losses are equal is about as ridiculous as being frustrated that a message board doesn't serve as a sound voice of logic.

I'll be ecstatic if we beat Duke by 1, even if the game is as poorly played as this one was

for all the Pollyannas out there: everyone on this board is happy that Syracuse won. but come on. if you watched, you know that game was epic in its awfulness. it demands to be commented upon.
I like the Pollyanna reference, but think that's not quite it either. I wasn't able to watch, but we're certainly still forming as a team with far less than stellar play. To me a large part of the game is attitude, by the players, by the coaches, and to some extent by the fans. If nothing else, JB leads with attitude. We all have our culprits & solutions for our poor play. Personally, I think we need a couple players to step it up offensively & consistently. In the end, we're going to be moderately successful depending on whether these kids can improve more quickly than their opponents. We've got a good base with young kids that can display their potential at times. We need them to gel and all we can do to help as fans is recognize the good play of Rak & others and provide good vibes. We've played some good half's of basketball and have to hope they can have more good half's than bad ones. It's been rare that I've been able to get to a game to cheer in person so perhaps I compensate by seeing potential over performance and vocalizing that where I can.

Even Jimmy B was calling this one of the worst games he's ever watched. I think we're okay to be a little nauseated by the way we played.

Agreed. Cry me a river. The few of us who had the gaul to question our many narrow escapes vs inferior teams last year in the 50s were mocked and we all saw our plight unfold in the ACC Tourney/NCAA Tourney which was a direct result of those.

billsin01 said:
I haven't read this entire thread b/c it's rather pathetic, but here is the bottom line: if you follow sports and view all wins as equally good and all losses as equally bad you are either extremely simplistic in your general way of thinking or you're 7 years old. If this team plays Kentucky within 4 points but loses I'm pretty fired up knowing we too the best team in the country to the wire. If we beat cornell by 5 I'm pretty bummed out b/c that's not a good sign. Suggesting that all wins/losses are equal is about as ridiculous as being frustrated that a message board doesn't serve as a sound voice of logic.

Yeah - except w/l do make a difference with the tourney committee and conference records matter for seeding the conference tourney, etc.

Other than all that, you're 100% on point.

If my kid is a career A student and he starts coming home one semester with D's and C's you think I'm going to be pleased that he's passing even though we know there can be better?
Well, one is imprtant and one isn't

Agreed. Cry me a river. The few of us who had the gaul to question our many narrow escapes vs inferior teams last year in the 50s were mocked and we all saw our plight unfold in the ACC Tourney/NCAA Tourney which was a direct result of those.

Yeah I remember getting this crap last year.

And then the McW year I remember getting crap for saying this team was way way better than their record.

The amount of people who complained about jump passes that year was ridiculous.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom