I was told Hughes was going to be the best player on the squad | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

I was told Hughes was going to be the best player on the squad

I was trying to compare what I'm seeing to what I had heard about the advanced level of play I had heard about from others who saw him last year and in practices.
No one said he was going to be the best player on the team. No one. Tyus and Oshae are supposed to lead us. Hughes gives us a third or fourth weapon on offense.

Hughes has flashed a pull up jumper a bunch already. He’s our best shooter and a good player. Not sure why everyone is criticizing him. He’s still shaking off rust from his redshirt year, and he and Jalen were our best guys this week. These losses are attributable to Oshae not showing up at all and Tyus barely showing up. Come on.

I'll be honest - I don't remember him pulling up for a 10-12 footer. I do remember a couple of charges because he didn't pull up, though.

No one said he was going to be the best player on the team. No one. Tyus and Oshae are supposed to lead us. Hughes gives us a third or fourth weapon on offense.
I'm not going to look, but it was absolutely said by more than one of the more respected posters here.

Carey may very well end up our best player if team success/winning the ACC arent immediate priorities to our other big names .

So far he's on the Ethan Cole path of transfer practice hero. I do believe some were likening him to adding we Wes Johnson. He's not in the same solar system as wes

Several posters passed along insider comments (before Carey started practicing) that he was our best offensive player. Were they wrong?

Last edited:
Hughes is waaaaaaay better than I expected given his poor production as a freshman at East Carolina University.

That said, so far he hasn't been nearly as good as his pre-season hype. Not seeing the athleticism and explosiveness that many described.

So far he's on the Ethan Cole path of transfer practice hero. I do believe some were likening him to adding we Wes Johnson. He's not in the same solar system as wes

Dude, Ethan Cole is a poor comparison. Cole got a chance early on and did NOTHING then never saw the light of day again. Hughes hasn't been a world-beater, but he's at least making some shots. He's been better than Battle, who basically scored all of his points in NYC after the games were decided.

Hughes is waaaaaaay better than I expected given his poor production as a freshman at East Carolina University.

That said, so far he hasn't been nearly as good as his pre-season hype. Not seeing the athleticism and explosiveness that many described.
Makes me wonder what these people were looking at or from who they got their information from.

He and Brissett look sort of slow and sluggish, and not at all quick or explosive.

Makes me wonder what these people were looking at or from who they got their information from.

Well, as the 'ol saying goes, "beauty is in the eyes of the beholder." On that note, JB stated after last night's ugly defeat that he thought the offense had "a lot of good looks." Now, I didn't see it that way...case in point. :)

Hughes sort of looks like what I would have expected from the videos at whatever school he came from. From the preseason chit-chat I thought he would be a bit more above the rim, and a bit better off the bounce. He's fairly smooth at times, but seems like he's not nearly as refined as advertised - and the lack of athleticism means he just doesn't become as impactful on defense as I may have hoped based on early projections regarding what's in the toolbox.

Anyway, I don't find him to be the biggest problem. He's part of it, but Tyus and OB putting in some horrendous efforts is far more disconcerting.

Frank has a lot to fix! He must be excited! I mean, if this ship suddenly turns around, he's going to reach god-like status in a hurry! If he sucks, he was hurt. And if the status quo keeps up, well, Tyus and OB seem awful, so he just has to be slightly better than that to stay out of the crosshairs. :)

Well, as the 'ol saying goes, "beauty is in the eyes of the beholder." On that note, JB stated after last night's ugly defeat that he thought the offense had "a lot of good looks." Now, I didn't see it that way...case in point. :)
Our we judging their looks or performances ;)

I'm not going to look, but it was absolutely said by more than one of the more respected posters here.
Wrong. Or if they did, it was said with obvious hyperbole. Have fun finding that needle in a haystack because that’s what it is. The vast, vast majority of posters here said exactly what I said—Hughes will give us a great third or fourth (or even fifth) offensive weapon, which we didn’t have last season because Moyer (a black hole on offense) and Marek (until the end of the season) weren’t offensive threats. That’s what people were saying—that we’d finaly having good bench scoring and other offensive weapons with Carey and Hughes joining the team. And both of them have already proven capable of that.

Wrong. Or if they did, it was said with obvious hyperbole. Have fun finding that needle in a haystack because that’s what it is. The vast, vast majority of posters here said exactly what I said—Hughes will give us a great third or fourth (or even fifth) offensive weapon, which we didn’t have last season because Moyer (a black hole on offense) and Marek (until the end of the season) weren’t offensive threats. That’s what people were saying—that we’d finaly having good bench scoring and other offensive weapons with Carey and Hughes joining the team. And both of them have already proven capable of that.

I'm guessing you haven't actually read the rest of this thread then...

Wes Johnson was the comparison most often made and what I was basing this entire thread on before it got heated.

No, he’s right on this one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom