I worry about our lack of depth | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

I worry about our lack of depth

We're just spoiled. 3 guards is enough; hell we played 3 guards last year, MCW barely got any run. I'd rather have more depth at the 3-4-5 than the 1-2 anyway, which we have

Most every year, we play a walk on as a back up PG. This year, we may need him - but let's certainly hope not.

Oh, I watched every game last year. Southerland has his strengths and weaknesses. Ball-handling is a weakness for him. Yes, he had some moments where he took the ball over half court, but he usually looked like he couldn't wait until the ball was out of his hands. He's just not comfortable doing that. And I'm still laughing.
Why, if he was successful. Does he have to go between his legs and around his back. You want someone that looks good or someone that is good? We were discussing breaking the press weren't we and not driving into a zone or breaking his man down going to the hoop?

If one of our three guards gets hurt this year (Cooney, MCW, or Triche) we are screwed big time. I am kind of wondering why we didn't recruit another guard for this year? any thoughts? Also, and I know this is a sore subject but I think the center position (Noel, I'd like to reshave his head with SU on the back) is where we will be hurt the most this year. We have Coleman, but is he big enough? We know Fab was a huge presence at center for us and Onuaku. I just hope our center can play in the NCAA tournament this year. I can't go through another year if we are a one seed with no center...kick in the nuts.
How could they recruit another guard with the possible return of Waiters then Mookie? If Waiters tells JB he is leaving during Oct practices, thats kind of late to scramble to get a kid in, then what happens if Waiters changes his mind? Then in the spring it looked like Mookie was returning and he would be #4 guard but now that isn't possible (or so the last I heard), again too late to do anything.

The reason for the concern is simple and it has nothing to do with forwards or the centers the concern is the guards! The 07-08 team had 5 guards on scholarship Andy tore his ACL over the summer 4 guards, Devo tore his ACL in December 3 guards, and those guards were Jonny Flynn, Scoop and Josh Wright. Jonny and Scoop were both freshmen and Josh was... well Josh (senior). The season was derailed 3 guards all pgs none of whom were good shooters. This time we are starting with 3 guards! Brandon Triche, MCW, and Cooney they are a good group with diverse skill set, but that means we can afford no injuries beyond the normal bumps and bruises... no serious foul trouble ...no prolonged shooting slumps...nothing can go wrong with those 3 guys! And the last time I checked **** still happens!

Actually, Wright had missed exams and was off the team by the time Devendorf got hurt. It was Flynn, Scoop, and... The Walk-On Justin Thomas.

It's big trouble if one of the guards gets hurt, but that's really not that unusual. Years like 2012 are really the exception. There are way more years when, say, we to the national championship game with David Patrick as our backup point. Or get lucky with Rautins, Scoop, and Triche staying healthy with absolutely no other capable ball-handlers on the roster.

Actually, Wright had missed exams and was off the team by the time Devendorf got hurt. It was Flynn, Scoop, and... The Walk-On Justin Thomas.

It's big trouble if one of the guards gets hurt, but that's really not that unusual. Years like 2012 are really the exception. There are way more years when, say, we to the national championship game with David Patrick as our backup point. Or get lucky with Rautins, Scoop, and Triche staying healthy with absolutely no other capable ball-handlers on the roster.
Yeah I forgot about J Wright leaving the team, but the point is the same our walk-on better be good

Yeah I forgot about J Wright leaving the team, but the point is the same our walk-on better be good

Yeah, I'm not sure who that might be (in the past few years, some people would have said Brandon Reese - glad we can't have that argument anymore).

Neither of our wings is particularly adept at handling the ball, but this is pretty similar to the situation three years ago - Wes and Kris weren't exactly lifesavers if one of the three guards had gone down.

Yeah, I'm not sure who that might be (in the past few years, some people would have said Brandon Reese - glad we can't have that argument anymore).

Neither of our wings is particularly adept at handling the ball, but this is pretty similar to the situation three years ago - Wes and Kris weren't exactly lifesavers if one of the three guards had gone down.
Agreed! This is exactly why we need a second guards in the class of 2013

I think the concern next season is legitimate. You have really only have MCW and Triche as proven ball handlers at this point. Should one of them go down for an extended time, the other will have to carry a heavy load, JB's options will be limited and the team will be vulnerable to pressure.

Its not Gods will one of our guards will get hurt. And God has his wings over us always.

Agree, with Mookie and Waiters we really didn't have room to grab another guard to play.

Look at it this way if we had a 4th guard then Cooney might not be playing again. We have the option of having someone like Southerland or Grant up top. Its actually a blessing as well.
Guards didn't come here to listen to who is the 4th guard incase one of us gets hurt.

I think the concern next season is legitimate. You have really only have MCW and Triche as proven ball handlers at this point. Should one of them go down for an extended time, the other will have to carry a heavy load, JB's options will be limited and the team will be vulnerable to pressure.

It may or may not be a legitimate concern, but it's one that we have most years, I think. We've just been spoiled in the past two (which were the only two this century that we've played with more than three capable guards on scholarship for a full year). Heck, even in 2003 our #4 ball-handling pseudo-guard was Josh Pace (young Josh Pace, not yet the kid who was trusted to step in and play long stretches at the two). #5 was Tyrone Albright.

Three trustworthy guards backed up by a pu pu platter or walk-ons and shaky scholarship wings is the norm for us. Should it be a source of worry? Don't know; while I do have flashbacks to Tony Delk tackling Z in the national championship game, injuring Z's wrist and setting loose the press on a shell-shocked David Patrick, it's no different than worrying about Coleman tearing his quad tendon or Rakeem failing his fencing class. Catastropic injuries happen now and again; rare is the team whose depth eliminates that as a concern.

Though it would be nice to have Mookie on the roster.

If one of our three guards gets hurt this year (Cooney, MCW, or Triche) we are screwed big time. I am kind of wondering why we didn't recruit another guard for this year? any thoughts? Also, and I know this is a sore subject but I think the center position (Noel, I'd like to reshave his head with SU on the back) is where we will be hurt the most this year. We have Coleman, but is he big enough? We know Fab was a huge presence at center for us and Onuaku. I just hope our center can play in the NCAA tournament this year. I can't go through another year if we are a one seed with no center...kick in the nuts.
I agree with the concern of the guards. But as SBU72 has mentioned, last year would have been a tough sell to get another guard to sign up. SU's fourth guard was a McD AA, and we had a decent recruit stashed as a RS, and only one senior. And this was before Mookie decided to leave. But circumstances have left us thin at pg for the upcoming year. Let's hope it doesn't bite us.

I disagree with your center concerns. There is BMK, DC2, and Rak. I would pretty much go the opposite way and ask "Will this year rank in the top 5 in terms of overall play at SU for the center position?". Because I think they will be.
Last years team was very good defensively and depthwise. But this years team should have a little more scoring punch along with McD depth and a third player, BMK, who will be a tall junior who has logged in plenty of playing time.
We are in the glory days of the center position at SU, the third straight year of bringing in a McD AA. Never approached before. And you're complaining about the height of our new 280 pound anchor. C'mon.

Alot of people aren't comfortable doing that even our guards over the years. It doesn't mean their not capable. Southerland is a pretty good passer as well.
We'll agree to disagree. I think he was adequate in helping to break the press. I hope he steps up and has a good year. With James, consistency will be the key. I hope he has worked on his inside and mid-range game.

It may or may not be a legitimate concern, but it's one that we have most years, I think. We've just been spoiled in the past two (which were the only two this century that we've played with more than three capable guards on scholarship for a full year). Heck, even in 2003 our #4 ball-handling pseudo-guard was Josh Pace (young Josh Pace, not yet the kid who was trusted to step in and play long stretches at the two). #5 was Tyrone Albright.

Three trustworthy guards backed up by a pu pu platter or walk-ons and shaky scholarship wings is the norm for us. Should it be a source of worry? Don't know; while I do have flashbacks to Tony Delk tackling Z in the national championship game, injuring Z's wrist and setting loose the press on a shell-shocked David Patrick, it's no different than worrying about Coleman tearing his quad tendon or Rakeem failing his fencing class. Catastropic injuries happen now and again; rare is the team whose depth eliminates that as a concern.

Though it would be nice to have Mookie on the roster.
Yes, we have been spoiled, especially last year when we had four guys who could run the point more than capably. I'm not losing sleep over this. I expect to see MCW and Triche logging 32+ stellar minutes each next season and believe the sky is the limit for this team. I'll just adjust my expectations if one of them goes down.

Why the metaphor to walking on water with Jesus Christ? Aside from the amateur photoshop hack job, this is taking idolatry to an unhealthy level.

Yes, we have been spoiled, especially last year when we had four guys who could run the point more than capably. I'm not losing sleep over this. I expect to see MCW and Triche logging 32+ stellar minutes each next season and believe the sky is the limit for this team. I'll just adjust my expectations if one of them goes down.

That's exactly how I feel.

Primary goal for this year: get better as the season progresses. And see South have an all-league type of year.

Why the metaphor to walking on water with Jesus Christ? Aside from the amateur photoshop hack job, this is taking idolatry to an unhealthy level.
my nice side...
Because the water is blue like a curtain. If I knew igor was going to respond I would have added JB right next to Jesus in authority.
tongue.png

I understand your thoughts, no disrespect meant. Theres all different kinds of churches alot of them believe you can do anything though Jesus, others are just waiting for Jesus to return with the miracles .

My realistic side...
ARE U SERIOUS?? This is CUSE BASKETBALL were talking about.

smart move would have been a 2 year JUCO. right now we don't even have a proven walk on like reese to eat up minutes.

smart move would have been a 2 year JUCO. right now we don't even have a proven walk on like reese to eat up minutes.

Nolan Hart is pretty good . . . IIRC, he was good enough to get some offers from low level D1 schools

stats:
http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/player/_/id/53157/nolan-hart
might need more convincing. and it was mop up duty.
well, we are talking about an emergency guy, like Reese, which is what Hart is

as for a Juco - quality jucos don't exactly grow on trees. It's not like going to the Juco store and just picking one off the shelf. the few who are any good are either looking for a regular rotation spot or not worth the additional baggage that they would bring.

imo any starting JUCO in the country would wet the bed even dreaming about being 4th guard in rotation at the cuse. injury,foul trouble,suspension (yeah it happens here alot) 6 OT'S...methinks it would have been a scholie well spent.

Nolan Hart is pretty good . . . IIRC, he was good enough to get some offers from low level D1 schools

Yeah, I hear he also used to tear up Jonny Flynn during pickup games in Archbold.

imo any starting JUCO in the country would wet the bed even dreaming about being 4th guard in rotation at the cuse. injury,foul trouble,suspension (yeah it happens here alot) 6 OT'S...methinks it would have been a scholie well spent.
Our walk on played pretty well in the 6 OT.

Id rather have Nolan Hart as an emergency guard then Mookie, at least Hart has a handle, although this yr wont be the same without the happy trigger finger Mook jacking 3s in his 15 secs of garbage time