I would get used to hearing this... | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

I would get used to hearing this...

How many final fours and NCs did JB have at the age of 51? And Wright is doing it at freakin Villanova - not exactly a national power when he got there - a solid program, but nothing great
"excuse me jay??

jay wright??

ok. good.

sign here. press hard. 3rd copy's yours.

thanks.

now go beat dook"....

Oh Lord

Am I the only person who found it mildly amusing that USC of all places may be cooling on hop because of potential NCAA violations?
Well played, sir.
images

The bigger question for me is recruiting because hop is a great recruiter. Of course this didnt happen overnight. I don't see how you could hire someone from the outside. We play the zone and I feel like JB will want someone employing that. Syracuse is known for its defense. I feel like hop will be back eventually. I don't know if Tim o toole is the answer either.

This is SU, and although Hop may be a solid recruiter, he's certainly replaceable for a program such as SU's. Let's not forgot, the Melo Center has been a huge factor in landing some our "bigger fish" and has been, imo, just as, or even more valuable (in that regard) than Hop. Look at the recruits pre Melo Center vs. post, Hop was here for a long time, including many so-so recruiting years pre Melo Center. And, of course, JB's still here...the kingpin. Just sayin... :noidea:

Am I the only person who found it mildly amusing that USC of all places may be cooling on hop because of potential NCAA violations?

Funny, I read it while on a call and initially internalized it as Hop is cooling on them because of new dirt being dug up.

Personally, I don't care, either way. If he leaves, you get some good pub as JB's protege getting a big gig. I also used to think we needed Hop as the new JB, a guy that would stay loyal to the program for 20-30 years because of Hop's undergrad days, his wife's ties and coaching tenure, but after looking at the macro, a program with 35 years of this type of success, and the facilities to match, is big enough to attract a person that should position us to flourish for the next several decades.

JB needs to be able to look 2015 class recruits in the eye and tell them he'll be their coach if Hop leaves. I think he has enough left in the tank to do this.

But we need 5 more years of Boeheim if we lose Hopkins. Hopkins was a sure thing to remain close to or at our level for a long while. Now we need to cram success into the end of Boeheims run and then hire an outsider. I think Boeheim is loving where the progam is at though and wants to coach all the big recruits he's lined up.

But make no mistake we have to hope JB doesn't have a surprise retirement next year or two lined up b/c that will be a problem.

The real risk is 1-2 years more of JB then him abruptly retiring, possibly after a down year. If he has told Dr Gross he has 5 or more years left then Hop can to go USC.

Everyone is focusing on the potential loss from a recruiting standpoint, but I worry more about the 'holding things together behind the scenes' aspect if Hopkins leaves. Who takes over that role? That, and his role as 'good cop' - he's a guy who has been instrumental in getting some players through tough early times so they could be important contributors later - like Allen Griffin, Andy Rautins, Demetris Nichols, and Kris Joseph.

Once JB retires, give the job to GMac. Then we'd have another coach for 40 years (hopefully).

"excuse me jay??

jay wright??

ok. good.

sign here. press hard. 3rd copy's yours.

thanks.

now go beat dook"....

Oh Lord
I think the dude is a really good coach & recruiter and think what's he's been able to do at Villanova is pretty impressive and would only improve if he were given the keys to a program like Syracuse. When JB retires and if Hop isn't around I'm not sure who everyone thinks is taking over - but I'd be good with Jay Wright.

I think the dude is a really good coach & recruiter and think what's he's been able to do at Villanova is pretty impressive and would only improve if he were given the keys to a program like Syracuse. When JB retires and if Hop isn't around I'm not sure who everyone thinks is taking over - but I'd be good with Jay Wright.

Agree 100%. Jay Wright would be fine.

Jay Wright? I'd rather not play with 4 guards and an undersized center...

Once JB retires, give the job to GMac. Then we'd have another coach for 40 years (hopefully).
Well, thanks Rocco. You finally found a candidate that made me think I'd prefer Brad Stevens.

Jay Wright? I'd rather not play with 4 guards and an undersized center...
well, he wouldnt be recruiting with nova muscle, hed be recruiting with Syracuse and ACC muscle.

Syracuse is not going to be in position to promote a successful mid-major guy...and give him the keys to this ferrari.

Syracuse is going to have to promote (steal) an un-fired coach from a successful bcs program, and tell him to leave the lexus sedan at home, for we've got a better company car.

its going to be ugly, its going to be loud, the wait is going to be painful and the thin skinned people here are going to cry.

but its got to be done.

Oh Lord

Everyone is focusing on the potential loss from a recruiting standpoint, but I worry more about the 'holding things together behind the scenes' aspect if Hopkins loses. Who takes over that role? That, and his role as 'good cop' - he's a guy who has been instrumental in getting some players through tough early times so they could be important contributors later - like Allen Griffin, Andy Rautins, Demetris Nichols, and Kris Joseph.

His role as good cop was always why I was a little worried about our succession plan. That's not to say it wouldn't work, but always something that I thought had the potential to blow up. Especially with all the drama that always seems to surround this program.

Of course, if we go outside, and end up with someone who takes us from "hands off, take care of your own responsibilities and I'll just coach the basketball team JB" to "control freak of all aspects of the program type" coach, that could also blow up.

When JB hangs them up, it's going to be a fascinating exercise.

His role as good cop was always why I was a little worried about our succession plan. That's not to say it wouldn't work, but always something that I thought had the potential to blow up. Especially with all the drama that always seems to surround this program.

IMO, there may not be as much drama. I think Hop would manage the program differently.

USC prefers to breed their own NCAA violators. Don't like going outside the family for that

Everyone is focusing on the potential loss from a recruiting standpoint, but I worry more about the 'holding things together behind the scenes' aspect if Hopkins loses. Who takes over that role? That, and his role as 'good cop' - he's a guy who has been instrumental in getting some players through tough early times so they could be important contributors later - like Allen Griffin, Andy Rautins, Demetris Nichols, and Kris Joseph.
Good point. I don't know about the former, but the latter - the Good Cop - could be taken over by Red. He seems to be talking to the kids after a reaming nearly as much as Hop does.

does hop bring the zone to the west coast? I think Murphy brought it to the mid west.

Yes! JB is a big fish in a small pond any coach worth his salt won't have to deal with that if they don't want to. JB is beloved in to community, his name is on the court for goodness sake. It's tough enough to follow a legend doing without the support of the legend is nearly impossible...see Uconn.
Yes! JB is a big fish in a small pond any coach worth his salt won't have to deal with that if they don't want to. JB is beloved in to community, his name is on the court for goodness sake. It's tough enough to follow a legend doing without the support of the legend is nearly impossible...see Uconn.

You never want to be the guy that follows The Guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
granthath9

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom