I would get used to hearing this... | Syracusefan.com

I would get used to hearing this...

Jake

Mod
USC Head Coach Mike Hopkins.

All the stars seem to be pointing that way. Hope I'm wrong.

I've been hearing this from a friend since last week...His step sister knows the Hopkins, and said that it was pretty much a done deal.

I know I will catch some flak here but if it needs to happen now I rather have JB for three more years. If we get Hopkins back good, if not I feel we have reached elite status where if we make a reasonable hire we will succeed. The big issue is replacing his recruiting prowess as an assistant

gotta think SC will put something in place now to keep him (if he's successful) from coming back to SU within 5 years

gotta think SC will put something in place now to keep him (if he's successful) from coming back to SU within 5 years

Hop would probably be insane to sign that deal unless the money was unbelievable

Sucks for SU, but a great, great opportunity for Hop. Very happy for him if true. He will light up recruiting trails and I'd bet USC will be back on the map in 3 years.

The West Coast 2-3 Zone.

I too would like to see Herman Harried come back here. He's used to running an elite-level HS program. He is respected and experienced in AAU and USA Basketball.

Would it be a downstep for him?

Couldn't care less if the replacement has former ties to SU. Neither Troy Weaver nor Rob Murphy did, and they were great for the program.

Get the best AC / recruiter you can, regardless of where he comes from.

Absolutely. Cant swing and miss.

Any thought on if Hop would be taking any additional assistants with him?

Yup the wifey & mrs hop are friendly been hearing the same thing.

Any thought on if Hop would be taking any additional assistants with him?
Don't know about SU coaches, but I think Jason Hart is an assistant at Pepperdine.

Could be your first post with no "Likes".

It's funny that some of us have commented over the years that we felt that Hop needed to get some head coaching experience before becoming head coach at Syracuse. Now that it might happen, I wonder how everyone still feels about that. I would think that if Hop is at USC, he will still get first right of refusal to still fill JB's shoes. Whether he is in a position to take it or not is a different story. My only concern, besides some obvious recruiting implications, is if any one else goes with Hop. I don't see it happening, but one can never be so sure. I would have to think that Tim O'Toole would slide into Hop's spot, but maybe not. Either way, it's not a bad thing.

Would he come back if he were successful out west?

Could be your first post with no "Likes".

It's funny that some of us have commented over the years that we felt that Hop needed to get some head coaching experience before becoming head coach at Syracuse. Now that it might happen, I wonder how everyone still feels about that. I would think that if Hop is at USC, he will still get first right of refusal to still fill JB's shoes. Whether he is in a position to take it or not is a different story. My only concern, besides some obvious recruiting implications, is if any one else goes with Hop. I don't see it happening, but one can never be so sure. I would have to think that Tim O'Toole would slide into Hop's spot, but maybe not. Either way, it's not a bad thing.

Pretty sure USC will ask Hop to sign a buyout clause that will make it very difficult for him (read: financially) to return to Syracuse. Hard to believe he would return anyway after switching coasts.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
granthath9

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom