I'd like to make something clear | Syracusefan.com

I'd like to make something clear

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeMoyneCuse

All American
Mark Schwarz does not have beef with Syracuse University.

Schwarz is an investigative journalist. His job is to wade through a sea of conflicting information and interpret as best he can.

He's reporting on an alleged wrong within the SU Athletic department. This kind of reporting often turns out to be true. The results bring justice and piece of mind to the victims.

It just so happens that our beloved team is in question. This does not make Schwarz a bad person, nor does it mean he should be fired.

None of us know the truth. All we can do is speculate. This report could be 100% false.

The point is... there is no bias on the part of the journalist. He's doing his job.

Schwarz is an investigative journalist. His job is to wade through a sea of conflicting information and interpret as best he can.

He's reporting on an alleged wrong within the SU Athletic department. This kind of reporting often turns out to be true. The results bring justice and piece of mind to the victims.

It just so happens that our beloved team is in question. This does not make Schwarz a bad person, nor does it mean he should be fired.

None of us know the truth. All we can do is speculate. This report could be 100% false.

The point is... there is no bias on the part of the journalist. He's doing his job.

I'm waiting for more information before I decide if the claims have merit, but calling Schwarz an "investigative journalist" is an insult to true investigative journalists everywhere.

Cheers,
Neil

Schwarz shouldn't be fired because he's reporting on Syracuse University. He should be fired because he isn't "reporting" a story, he's creating one and leading further. If this proves to be true, then fine. But no "allegedly", the comment about no one in 2003 "came forward to corroborate, or, I'm sorry was BRAVE enough to come forward", etc. He's stating things as fact which at this point nothing is. And don't even get me started on those two knuckleheads on ESPN with their shiftiness.

He did his job. Whomever put his work ON THE AIR did not do their job

BS! He invented the "King of Syracuse" to hype his story. I'm not going to complain that he ran the story but for me to call him a journalist he needs to stop acting like he works for the National Enquirer.

BS! He invented the "King of Syracuse" to hype his story. I'm not going to complain that he ran the story but for me to call him a journalist he needs to stop acting like he works for the National Enquirer.

Yeah, saying Fine is the king of Syracuse is laughable. I'm sure 90% of people in Syracuse wouldn't recognize him walking down the street.

Schwarz is a POS journalist.

Do me a favor...listen to his "report" on Outside the Lines here...

http://espn.go.com/espn/otl/story/_...investigating-bernie-fine-molesting-boy-1980s

...and tell me he is being an impartial reporter/journalist who is simply "doing his job" and reporting an allegation.

Listen closely for things like "according to the accuser," or "allegedly," etc. Listen to his tone. Then get back to me.

He was pretty indignant for someone just reporting "facts" about an accusation. I'm starting to think it isn't true, but at this point they are at the allegation stage and he was crucifying SU and Bernie Fine all night. He reported the allegations as fact, that doesn't seem like a reporter doing his job.

I agree that he doesn't have anything against SU, he seems to be jumping out at a story. He may believe the accusers, and I look forward to the full investigation, but he shouldn't be reporting these allegations as facts, which is what he did all night.

Schwarz shouldn't be fired because he's reporting on Syracuse University. He should be fired because he isn't "reporting" a story, he's creating one and leading further. If this proves to be true, then fine. But no "allegedly", the comment about no one in 2003 "came forward to corroborate, or, I'm sorry was BRAVE enough to come forward", etc. He's stating things as fact which at this point nothing is. And don't even get me started on those two knuckleheads on ESPN with their shiftiness.

This might be the equivalent of the NY Times guy (Jason whatever) who made up stories and printed them as fact. Everything I have seen and heard suggest a molding of the story to ESPN's liking. Maybe Schwartz has no beef, but he certainly didn't do this professionally. This was a ratings grab.

I hope Bernie is found innocent and I hope everyone who played a part in getting this crap aired is sued for everything.

Does he have an issue with SU? Probably not.

Was that good reporting? Absolutely not. Just one example was his comment about "no adults seemed to have any problems with this kid hanging out in hotel rooms, in basements, in offices, etc". He did not say the accuser said that, he said that himself, his words. That is a huge leap and extremely bias/leading. Accurate reporting would be something like "I have not rec'd word, spoken to anyone, etc, that has said they've seen this boy in this situation". In fact, JB coming out and then countering the guy's word, and Schwarz characterization of what adults did or did not do seems to validate it was poor journalism. A few others like that but I need to get some sleep to be up in about 5 hrs...

Sorry he should be fired if this is false. He is reporting only one side of the story. Fired. Facts have already come out to make this seem like it is a total falsehood so why go forward? Fired. He created the story. Fired. He brought this to the police. Fired. And instead of reporting that police are investigating he gave that guy an interview on ESPN. Fired. Schwarz has done a god awful job here whether true or false. If true then JB and Bernie are going down. If false ESPN and Schwarz should go down.

you couldn't be more wrong. Not about the bias part. Schwarz has an obligation to have some facts before he goes on the air with accusations as serious as these. He has a kid that came to him years ago. Before he even went to his mother. At that time, Schwarz couldn't find one person to back up the accusers story. Not one. Here we are, years later, a sex scandel rocks the college scene and low and behold, th accuser is back. This time with a relative to back up the story. The accuser says that he went to Hawaii with the team. His mom says he never flew with the team. The accuser admits that he owes Fine $5,000. But that doesn't make Schwarz's story. I mean he is an investigative reporter and this is an allegation that will ruin someone's life just by being made. Shoudn't he also report that the accuser owes the accused money? I don't know if Fine is guilty of this. I do know that with what they have, this should never have been aired. It was totally irrisponsible. When the smoke clears, someone is going to be out of a career.

He is not doing his job. You don't come out with that stuff without some solid evidence. So far this looks like total BS. If that continues to be the case he, Schwarz, should be fired. You don't glibly destroy some ones reputation for your own aggrandizement.

His bias is trying to look the part of the great big hero. His own company investigated and found nothing. He should better work for the National Inquirer if that is the best he can do.

How did this get on the air? Does this mean you can just grab random guys who sound alittle fruity and throw them on tv whenever you want? How did the rest of espn even decide to air this.

And how can the first story on sportcenter start the story as a fact then recind it to a allegation.

Is espn trying to help syracuse or something?

you couldn't be more wrong. Not about the bias part. Schwarz has an obligation to have some facts before he goes on the air with accusations as serious as these. He has a kid that came to him years ago. Before he even went to his mother. At that time, Schwarz couldn't find one person to back up the accusers story. Not one. Here we are, years later, a sex scandel rocks the college scene and low and behold, th accuser is back. This time with a relative to back up the story. The accuser says that he went to Hawaii with the team. His mom says he never flew with the team. The accuser admits that he owes Fine $5,000. But that doesn't make Schwarz's story. I mean he is an investigative reporter and this is an allegation that will ruin someone's life just by being made. Shoudn't he also report that the accuser owes the accused money? I don't know if Fine is guilty of this. I do know that with what they have, this should never have been aired. It was totally irrisponsible. When the smoke clears, someone is going to be out of a career.

Those are key points that confirm terrible yellow journalism, dead on.

Also the guy in Rochester got fired last year for the Scoop point shaving stuff. How is this any different?

I agree. He just sucks at his job.

Schwarz is a POS journalist.

Do me a favor...listen to his "report" on Outside the Lines here...

http://espn.go.com/espn/otl/story/_...investigating-bernie-fine-molesting-boy-1980s

...and tell me he is being an impartial reporter/journalist who is simply "doing his job" and reporting an allegation.

Listen closely for things like "according to the accuser," or "allegedly," etc. Listen to his tone. Then get back to me.

Ah, the wonderful message board defense. He's a horrid reporter and always has been based on one television appearance.

Yes, he should not assign guilt. But he's done everything else right. It sounds to me like his emotions got the best of him. He's human. It happens, even though it should not.

Any other school and you wouldn't care less about his tone. If it was Rutgers, you'd probably be agreeing with him 100%.

If this turns out to he completely false, then SU needs to go after him/ESPN for damaging the university.

The accuser admits that he owes Fine $5,000. But that doesn't make Schwarz's story.

This is the kicker. This HAS to be part of the story if you run it on air. You MUST inform the viewer of this fact...unless of course, Schwarz didn't do his job and didn't have this information.

Also the guy in Rochester got fired last year for the Scoop point shaving stuff. How is this any different?

Because that was linked from a message board on a poker website. These are interviews with two men who say they personally were molested by the associate head coach of one of the best basketball programs in the country. One is moronic reporting. The other is reporting you don't agree with.

Yeah, saying Fine is the king of Syracuse is laughable. I'm sure 90% of people in Syracuse wouldn't recognize him walking down the street.

Yeah I don't get that one. So in the late 70s and early 80s Bernie was King of Syracuse? Most people don't know who he is now. Back then even less so.

Because that was linked from a message board on a poker website. These are interviews with two men who say they personally were molested by the associate head coach of one of the best basketball programs in the country. One is moronic reporting. The other is reporting you don't agree with.
Why are you ignoring the other points being made in the thread about the $5000?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom