If ACC dies, any chance we get a lifeboat? | Syracusefan.com

If ACC dies, any chance we get a lifeboat?

normaliswear

Starter
Kinda feels like we got lucky to get a lifeboat from the Titanic, only to notice the lifeboat has sprung a severe leak. If power consolodates in the SEC, Pac 12, Big 12, and B1G what are the chances of getting an invite to one of those conferences?

Pac 12- I only include them because they don't seem to have geographic fits if they can't raid the Big 12. Any chance they go a Big east-SDSU type route and set up and eastern pod to get to 16? Really REALLY doubt it... only throw it out there because I don't know what their better option is.

SEC- Again really doubt this has any chance. They'd likely take more football oriented schools like NC State and VTech. Only tiny option would be if they REALLY wanted a NYC footprint.

B1G- Before we joined the ACC we were also rumored to be on the B1G radar for the same reasons. Good academics, NY market. Seems like if the ACC dies they'll go after ND 1st then schools like Maryland, UNC, UVA. But this at least seems possible.

Big 12- Well at 10 schools if they want 16 thats a lot of spots to fill. FSU, Miami, Clemson, GTech... then maybe LVille, but maybe they decide they'd like to move all the way to the NY market. If BC, Rutgers, and UConn are all left out any "NYC" school would be the only major player for recruits and TVs north or east of Penn St.

Last and more likely option, accept that BBall is our bread and butter and forget the big boy table for football. Don't like that one, but may not get the choice.

I think people really need to get off the ledge. FSU may or may not go to the Big12 but people are really getting nuts out there. We are in the ACC now and will be for many many years. I just want to see us win to beat all those nay sayers that say we suck in football not that we haven't for the last decade I know but we'll be back and at the top of the ACC.

Oh and I hate WVU fans more and more each passing day. More than any other team's fans ever with all the stuff they have been putting out the last few months. They will get theirs as what goes around comes around. Oh and we beat them badly on Oct 21st but they conveniently want to forget that.

I think people really need to get off the ledge. FSU may or may not go to the Big12 but people are really getting nuts out there. We are in the ACC now and will be for many many years. I just want to see us win to beat all those nay sayers that say we suck in football not that we haven't for the last decade I know but we'll be back and at the top of the ACC.

Oh and I hate WVU fans more and more each passing day. More than any other team's fans ever with all the stuff they have been putting out the last few months. They will get theirs as what goes around comes around. Oh and we beat them badly on Oct 21st but they conveniently want to forget that.
Maybe... but we'd be putting our heads in the sand if we pretend the worst isn't possible.

Sure...prepare for the worst. What should SU do? Start getting cozy with the B1G in hopes of getting an invite?

The ACC may get raided and lose a school or two, but the ACC is going to be around for quite some time. Don't lose sleep over it.

Back away from your computer, smoke a joint and go watch The Blues Brothers movie. In other words, don't worry about it.

Sure...prepare for the worst. What should SU do? Start getting cozy with the B1G in hopes of getting an invite?

The ACC may get raided and lose a school or two, but the ACC is going to be around for quite some time. Don't lose sleep over it.

Back away from your computer, smoke a joint and go watch The Blues Brothers movie. In other words, don't worry about it.
Just an internet message board my man. Discussing "what ifs" are kind of a staple. Sounds like you're a little paranoid that discussing something will make it happen. Just a conversation, not the "Biggie Smalls" mirror things lol.

Either FSU leaves or they don't. As long as there is no mass defection -- and it's highly doubtful there would be -- the ACC will be fine. I don't think Miami, Ga Tech, Clemson and Va Tech go anywhere. The Virginia legislature is not going to let Va Tech leave and cause financial harm to the ACC and therefore UVA. So the ACC will have a team in the 4 team playoff occasionally. So what. The ACC will be the fifth best football conference and will still play in lucrative bowl games and we'll all be fine financially. The world won't end. We will be in a conference of like minded schools who don't all aspire to be LSU.

Either FSU leaves or they don't. As long as there is no mass defection -- and it's highly doubtful there would be -- the ACC will be fine. I don't think Miami, Ga Tech, Clemson and Va Tech go anywhere. The Virginia legislature is not going to let Va Tech leave and cause financial harm to the ACC and therefore UVA. So the ACC will have a team in the 4 team playoff occasionally. So what. The ACC will be the fifth best football conference and will still play in lucrative bowl games and we'll all be fine financially. The world won't end. We will be in a conference of like minded schools who don't all aspire to be LSU.
I agree with that. The OP is strictly the unlikely scenerio where there are mass defections. As much as that isn't likely to happen, it is the national conversation of the day. Seems people here are so spooked they can't even acknowledge people elsewhere are discussing it.

...of course there is always a worst case scenario. I am not ready to jump overboard as yet, but I believe that even if the ACC loses four schools there are four to add that maybe we dont like to think about...but hey they are okay when its 9 PM at the bar and the prettiest women are gone you gotta do what you gotta do. Pick one for each defection from ACC and move on...as long as each team plays football and basketball we are better off than even a previously stable BE from which we left:
Rutgirls
Uconn
Louisville
Cincy
USF
Temple
UCF
Navy

Kinda feels like we got lucky to get a lifeboat from the Titanic, only to notice the lifeboat has sprung a severe leak. If power consolodates in the SEC, Pac 12, Big 12, and B1G what are the chances of getting an invite to one of those conferences?

Pac 12- I only include them because they don't seem to have geographic fits if they can't raid the Big 12. Any chance they go a Big east-SDSU type route and set up and eastern pod to get to 16? Really REALLY doubt it... only throw it out there because I don't know what their better option is.

SEC- Again really doubt this has any chance. They'd likely take more football oriented schools like NC State and VTech. Only tiny option would be if they REALLY wanted a NYC footprint.

B1G- Before we joined the ACC we were also rumored to be on the B1G radar for the same reasons. Good academics, NY market. Seems like if the ACC dies they'll go after ND 1st then schools like Maryland, UNC, UVA. But this at least seems possible.

Big 12- Well at 10 schools if they want 16 thats a lot of spots to fill. FSU, Miami, Clemson, GTech... then maybe LVille, but maybe they decide they'd like to move all the way to the NY market. If BC, Rutgers, and UConn are all left out any "NYC" school would be the only major player for recruits and TVs north or east of Penn St.

Last and more likely option, accept that BBall is our bread and butter and forget the big boy table for football. Don't like that one, but may not get the choice.

I agree with the sentiments of some of the responses to this thread.

Enough already.

I have no interest in this doom and gloom discussion.

I hadn't realized this until the last month or so but the WV fans are the most delusional fanbase ever. They make RU Al look normal. They honestly think they are a FB powerhouse and had the ACC taken them instead that none of this would be happening :crazy:. The only reason they have been "good" the last few years is because the BE has been craptacular. WV will go 5-4 every year in the B12. Congrats. And how would WV being in the ACC and Louisville being in the B12 have changed things? The ACC still would be locked into a crap TV deal and the B12 would still be a FA. I really hope that Larry Scott has something up his sleeve to get Texas and/or OU before the B12 contract is signed. WV fans deserve it.

Here's why the ACC is going to be ok. Here's the top 30 TV markets with the one's within the ACC's boundries in bold. Also, as has been discussed to death, the NE is basketball first in most major markets and the ACC is king once SU and Pitt jump ship as well as being a big upgrade over the BE in football.

1 New York
2 Los Angeles
3 Chicago
4 Philadelphia
5 Dallas-Ft. Worth
6 San Francisco-Oakland-San Jose
7 Boston
8 Atlanta
9 Washington, DC
10 Houston
11 Detroit
12 Phoenix
13 Tampa-St. Petersburg
14 Seattle-Tacoma
15 Minneapolis-St. Paul
16 Miami-Ft.Lauderdale
17 Cleveland-Akron
18 Denver
19 Orlando-Daytona Beach-Melbourne
20 Sacramento-Stockton-Modesto
21 St. Louis
22 Portland, OR
23 Pittsburgh
24 Charlotte, NC
25 Indianapolis
26 Baltimore
27 Raleigh-Durham
28 San Diego
29 Nashville
30 Hartford-New Haven

If by some chance they add Notre Dame to the mix, they'd have much greater visability in their top 3 markets as well as adding Chicago to the list

The thing that still puzzle's me is, Notre Dame chaired up the expansion committee. It would seem then, that when a new commissioner is picked,Notre Dame should chair that committee. Instead the chair is from Cincinnati.

Here's why the ACC is going to be ok. Here's the top 30 TV markets with the one's within the ACC's boundries in bold. Also, as has been discussed to death, the NE is basketball first in most major markets and the ACC is king once SU and Pitt jump ship as well as being a big upgrade over the BE in football.

If by some chance they add Notre Dame to the mix, they'd have much greater visability in their top 3 markets as well as adding Chicago to the list

That and the fact that too many ACC schools are intertwined for anyone to leave.

VT won't be able to leave unless UVA leaves too.
UVA wants to stay with UNC.
UNC wants to stay in power.
NC St cannot go anywhere unless UNC leaves.
Duke is staying with UNC.
No one wants BC, SU, or Wake.
GA Tech and MD like being with UNC, Duke, UVA and would only leave if those schools do.
Pitt might be able to get into the B1G if ND insists but cannot leave the ACC on their own.
Miami and Clemson can only leave if they are a package with FSU.
FSU would leave for the SEC and might leave for the B12 if the B12 agrees to go to 14 or 16 teams.

So worst case FSU, Miami, and Clemson leave. However the B12 does not want Miami and Texas rather stay at 10 let alone 14. So I doubt anything happens. Also note that FSU would be nuts to leave until the B12 contract is finalized and the 13 year GOR is signed. The B12 is NOT stable until that happens. So if FSU decides to stay in the ACC no matter what, I would not be surprised to see that GOR not signed by Texas. Which of course puts the questions about the B12 stability right back to where they were before.

But back to the worst case IMO the ACC loses FSU, Clemson, Miami and needs to replace them with RU, UConn, and one of USF/UCF. They would hate to take USF or UCF academically but there are no other good choices in the East and the ACC needs a Florida presence as well as the markets. My guess would be USF.

North BC, UConn, SU, RU, Pitt, MD, VT
South USF, GA Tech, Wake, UNC, Duke, NC St, UVA

That IMO is worst case which is still a lot better for SU than where we were in the BE.

What?

What the hell is this thread.

It's the "ACC Armageddon" thread. It's all the current rage.

FSU,Clemson,Miami, and GT to Big 12
UNC,Maryland, Virginia, and Duke (or ND) to the BiG
VT and NC State to the SEC.

Leaving BC, Pitt, SU, and Wake with the leftover BE teams.

Keep up man.;)

Cheers,
Neil

grab a sixer of yuengleng and go out to the garden and plant some real weed...it just might mellow you out because you have way to much idle time on your hands

I hadn't realized this until the last month or so but the WV fans are the most delusional fanbase ever. They make RU Al look normal. They honestly think they are a FB powerhouse and had the ACC taken them instead that none of this would be happening :crazy:. The only reason they have been "good" the last few years is because the BE has been craptacular. WV will go 5-4 every year in the B12. Congrats. And how would WV being in the ACC and Louisville being in the B12 have changed things? The ACC still would be locked into a crap TV deal and the B12 would still be a FA. I really hope that Larry Scott has something up his sleeve to get Texas and/or OU before the B12 contract is signed. WV fans deserve it.

I'm not sure I'd go as far as you on WVU.

They were this close to the NC game a few years ago.

They saved the BE with their Sugar Bowl win against GA.

They crushed Clemson in the Orange Bowl this year.

They are a solid program and I suspect that they will compete quite well in the Big 12.

I'm not sure I'd go as far as you on WVU.

They were this close to the NC game a few years ago.

They saved the BE with their Sugar Bowl win against GA.

They crushed Clemson in the Orange Bowl this year.

They are a solid program and I suspect that they will compete quite well in the Big 12.

In my opinion, WVU has been good but has never really approached "great". They did little in the Big East until Miami and VT left and we went in the crapper.

I think they are going to have a lot of trouble in the Big 12. They are going to see teams with speed, size and athleticism like they haven't seen.