If for some stupid reason the ACC plays football this fall | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

If for some stupid reason the ACC plays football this fall

I think we have to be honest here - if there's no football and the players are sent to their homes and don't stay on campus like other students, it's another nail in the coffin against the idea of a "student-athlete."

Absolutely. And football will be the only thing keeping these guys from descending into mayhem on campus. You don't even have to go to many classes just log in to your computer. Maybe 1 lab a week with their tutor.

I'd also worry about the opt outs causing problems and being bad influences if they remain for their studies. Yes they sort of deserve to be able to but they also don't have to practice the next day why not grab another 30 keystones right?

These are college kids. I am sure at some point all thought 'omg why the hell would I ever risk the virus playing football people must be crazy' and also thought at other times 'wait really you want me to not play over something I have a 99.998% chance of surviving even if I get it.'

I know I change my mind a lot and go back and forth on things.

I think we have to be honest here - if there's no football and the players are sent to their homes and don't stay on campus like other students, it's another nail in the coffin against the idea of a "student-athlete."
Why would they be sent home if football is canceled? All the football players (as well as a few other teams) live at University Village. It is technically off campus. If there is no football, they would stay there and continue their classes just like any other student.

Why would they be sent home if football is canceled? All the football players (as well as a few other teams) live at University Village. It is technically off campus. If there is no football, they would stay there and continue their classes just like any other student.
I agree with this. But players on Twitter (not necessarily ours) keep mentioning that it will be bad for them if they have to go home. It doesn't make any sense.

I agree with this. But players on Twitter (not necessarily ours) keep mentioning that it will be bad for them if they have to go home. It doesn't make any sense.
I think if they opt out they have to go home. Also- for other schools, if the football players live on campus and the school shuts campus, I think they have to go home but that would be like reg students too.

I'll agree that the SEC and ACC have dominated but not exclusively. I still think that a playoff that didn't include the Big 10 and Pac12 would lack credibility.
Why? The playoff would include all schools/conferences that played.

If one of the top tennis players is hurt/misses Wimbledon should they cancel the entire tournament?

I think if they opt out they have to go home. Also- for other schools, if the football players live on campus and the school shuts campus, I think they have to go home but that would be like reg students too.

It depends on the school. SU is planning on some in-person instruction, so whether they play or opt out, players would need to stay on or around campus.

Current system is great. Obviously has its flaws.

A full ride is worth 250k. 4 years of G league after taxes pays maybe half of that.
But how many "student athletes" never graduate and/or never use their education? I know its nobody's fault but their own, but at least 4 years of minor league paychecks is worth something.

Do you think that same player would be safer at home then?

At least they have a shot at abiding by strict covid preventative policies while at the University.

why would they go home?

Steve Spurrier just called into a radio program and said that the ACC and SEC should just play their seasons and the winners play for the national championship. Someone from those 2 conferences was going to win it anyway.

I hope they play in the Rose Bowl. Ha Ha

But how many "student athletes" never graduate and/or never use their education? I know its nobody's fault but their own, but at least 4 years of minor league paychecks is worth something.

Well then they're idiots or the school was dumb to admit them if they can't hold up to the academic rigor.

At Syracuse, the rigor is 85% attending class. If you can get yourself to do that you will graduate. The athletes have tutors which make it 85% easier than the normal student.

Well then they're idiots or the school was dumb to admit them if they can't hold up to the academic rigor.

At Syracuse, the rigor is 85% attending class. If you can get yourself to do that you will graduate. The athletes have tutors which make it 85% easier than the normal student.
Just an FYI attending Syracuse for these athletes isn't anything special. Very few of them are in Newhouse. Syracuse education isn't Ivy league you make it seem like its hard.
It's not.

I think there's more then 800...more like 11,000 right? and that's just fbs. Also only players, no staff etc.

I think they're saying 800 is the number of athletes that tested positive, not the total number of athletes.

I fumbled this one. Just wanted to share but I should of looked at it a bit closer!