If for some stupid reason the ACC plays football this fall | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

If for some stupid reason the ACC plays football this fall

I am not implying that you're saying this, but for anyone who wants to pay the football players, please review Title IX and come up with a plausible solution.
Permit all student-athletes to benefit from their name and likeness..

Count me in the group that believes SU is currently in the right and the players are far safer with the football program than whatever may occur back wherever home is.

These kids are getting tested nearly daily. They have structure. They’re kept off the streets or out of a community that may not value deterrence/preventative measures like SU clearly does. Them being on campus within this structure in itself imo helps further prevent the spread of the virus.

I don’t need to read another story about a player going back home and getting caught at the wrong place at the wrong time or anything along those lines. Obviously thats not true for all players

Count me in the group that believes SU is currently in the right and the players are far safer with the football program than whatever may occur back wherever home is.

These kids are getting tested nearly daily. They have structure. They’re kept off the streets or out of a community that may not value deterrence/preventative measures like SU clearly does. Them being on campus within this structure in itself imo helps further prevent the spread of the virus.

I don’t need to read another story about a player going back home and getting caught at the wrong place at the wrong time or anything along those lines. Obviously thats not true for all players
I agree with this in theory. In practice, these guys face wayyyyyyy too much temptation. It's hard to really even blame them, even given the stakes. And they'll be in close contact and exposed to all kinds of fluids from others facing the same situation for about 3 hours. Game over.

Permit all student-athletes to benefit from their name and likeness..
It might be semantics, but I don't view this as being the same as a school paying them.

To play devils advocate:

"I'm a big supporter of XYZ school, I want a specific player to come here. I will simply give them 1,000,000 for their autograph" . While this specifically might not fly, you get the idea. I am not against letting students profit, I just don't see a plausible way to let them without huge challenges.

It might be semantics, but I don't view this as being the same as a school paying them.

To play devils advocate:

"I'm a big supporter of XYZ school, I want a specific player to come here. I will simply give them 1,000,000 for their autograph" . While this specifically might not fly, you get the idea. I am not against letting students profit, I just don't see a plausible way to let them without huge challenges.
If a supporter wants to give a player a large sum of money to play for their college there is nothing wrong with that.
The school is going to profit and the player is profiting.
Why is it okay for schools to sell jerseys and the players get none of that?

I agree with this in theory. In practice, these guys face wayyyyyyy too much temptation. It's hard to really even blame them, even given the stakes. And they'll be in close contact and exposed to all kinds of fluids from others facing the same situation for about 3 hours. Game over.
The benefits far outweigh the risks at school vs at home when looking at both sides.

These players are under a magnifying glass from the university and football program. I doubt Dino’s got a three strike policy for selfish violations of mandated precautions.

The benefits far outweigh the risks at school vs at home when looking at both sides.

These players are under a magnifying glass from the university and football program. I doubt Dino’s got a three strike policy for selfish violations of mandated precautions.
This I straight up disagree with, given the recent data indicating long-term cardiac issues. As someone that lived with an SU athlete, I don't see any amount of Dino-attempted discipline keeping the group safe. Don't get me wrong, I really, really want you to be correct... but you'd have to also be correct for every team we play, and every team they play, and so on...

One broken link in the chain and it's done. There would be many, many broken links.

To play devils advocate:

I view the scenario you described as far, far superior and healthier for the education institution than paying the player.

I also don't view your hypothetical as a problem.

This I straight up disagree with, given the recent data indicating long-term cardiac issues. As someone that lived with an SU athlete, I don't see any amount of Dino-attempted discipline keeping the group safe. Don't get me wrong, I really, really want you to be correct... but you'd have to also be correct for every team we play, and every team they play, and so on...

One broken link in the chain and it's done. There would be many, many broken links.
Do you think that same player would be safer at home then?

At least they have a shot at abiding by strict covid preventative policies while at the University.

At least they have a shot at abiding by strict covid preventative policies while at the University.
Given the nature of football, I think there's a chance they would be safer at home. I have full faith in Dino and I think our players are sending all of the right signals as well, but it's not just about them-- it's about everybody. That's my main concern. I also don't want to see SU sued into oblivion; I don't see any waiver holding up to legal scrutiny (I defer to the board lawyers on that).

I think we have to be honest here - if there's no football and the players are sent to their homes and don't stay on campus like other students, it's another nail in the coffin against the idea of a "student-athlete."

The problem is now the regular students are coming back. Unless they can keep the players sequestered away from the regular students, you might end up with problems.

Given the nature of football, I think there's a chance they would be safer at home. I have full faith in Dino and I think our players are sending all of the right signals as well, but it's not just about them-- it's about everybody. That's my main concern. I also don't want to see SU sued into oblivion; I don't see any waiver holding up to legal scrutiny (I defer to the board lawyers on that).
If the findings that covid may contribute to sustained heart conditions are true and corroborated by the full p5, or even just the ACC, then absolutely cancel the season. But right now it seems that this is far from agreed upon by medical experts.

Regarding football being unsafe as a sport, these kids have the opportunity and support of the team/program to opt out of 2020 should they choose. I’d hope SU and the NCAA would do right by them Scholarship and eligibility wise though. The money’s there.

The problem is now the regular students are coming back. Unless they can keep the players sequestered away from the regular students, you might end up with problems.
Yep; that's a big part of the temptation I mentioned ;)

I view the scenario you described as far, far superior and healthier for the education institution than paying the player.

I also don't view your hypothetical as a problem.

That same guy can pay that kid to take a dive (granted that can happen anyway but why establish that). These kids aren't going to have agents or quality vetters.

To correct you, at least in a few counties in upstate NY (as of Monday) it was 10 days to get an appointment. From the test I took a few weeks ago, it was 2.5 weeks to get the results.

Every region is different. I concur, that a test that takes that long to get the results from is essentially meaningless, but that's where we are.
That is actually true? 2.5 weeks? Dumbest thing I’ve heard in a long time.

The time between tests and results in Northeast Wisconsin is about three to four days. I have wondered how the public will respond if they find out their tests are being pushed out a couple of days because professional/college athlete gets priority.

A couple of other comments:

The Pac has cancelled all sports until January 1, 2021 and the B1G has cancelled all fall sports. It is about more than football. I do think it would be a poor message for the competing conferences to cancel all sports, but football. If it is "safe" or at least "safe enough" for the football, it should be safe for all sports unless the conferences want to admit what we all know - football is not really a college sport.

The B1G is allowing teams to conduct supervised activities with the football players (not sure about the other sports' athletes) for 20 hours a week. I assume this is to (1) keep the kids invested in the team instead of looking elsewhere and (2) counter criticism that the structured environment during a football season is safer than sending the kids home.

As for poaching of players, it is not as if transferring players would be able to move from one team to another and play right away. Although there has been discussion about allowing athletes to transfer one time without penalty, I do not believe the rule has been changed. So, unless a player is transferring to a helmet school (at which point he would be granted a waiver), this year will be lost regardless.

Finally and going off on a tangent, as I made a student loan payment yesterday, I get unreasonably angry when I read about scholarship athletes are not being compensated. They may not be "adequately" compensated, but they are certainly being compensated.

If the findings that covid may contribute to sustained heart conditions are true and corroborated by the full p5, or even just the ACC, then absolutely cancel the season. But right now it seems that this is far from agreed upon by medical experts.

Regarding football being unsafe as a sport, these kids have the opportunity and support of the team/program to opt out of 2020 should they choose. I’d hope SU and the NCAA would do right by them Scholarship and eligibility wise though. The money’s there.
Those findings are very likely true. All common respiratory viruses can lead to damaging heart conditions. Those conditions can be short term or long term, depending on the person. It’s rare, but has always been known to be a potential complication from the Flu, other Coronaviruses and, obviously, COVID-19.

The B1G is just using this as cover to cancel.

Now is COVID-19 causing potential heart issues at a higher rate than other respiratory viruses? That’s the question. ...but the Big XII announced more testing and immediate/in-depth cardiac testing for any player who contracts COVID-19. That’s way more protection than the normal student will receive.

The player isn’t more at risk of developing a heart issue from COVID due to playing as opposed to catching it on campus or at home.

Those findings are very likely true. All common respiratory viruses can lead to damaging heart conditions. Those conditions can be short term or long term, depending on the person. It’s rare, but has always been known to be a potential complication from the Flu, other Coronaviruses and, obviously, COVID-19.

The B1G is just using this as cover to cancel.

Now is COVID-19 causing potential heart issues at a higher rate than other respiratory viruses? That’s the question. ...but the Big XII announced more testing and immediate/in-depth cardiac testing for any player who contracts COVID-19. That’s way more protection than the normal student will receive.

The player isn’t more at risk of developing a heart issue from COVID due to playing as opposed to catching it on campus or at home.
They don't want the liability or a players union. Looks like the PAC12 is moving forward with that. Others sure to follow.

If they catch Covid at home, that does not create a liability issue for the school.

If they catch Covid playing football, it very well could.

Are player's gfs getting tested daily?

Is their friend circle getting tested daily?

Will they be isolated from the general student body when they come back?

Also where did you get the idea they were getting tested daily? Wildhack said they would up the testing and be tested twice a week starting the week of 9/7. Meaning right now they aren't being tested as often.

Fifteen players from one team testing positive at the same time probably results in a game cancellation.
Yup...there is slop built into the schedule. The conference championship can be slipped a week

If they catch Covid at home, that does not create a liability issue for the school.

If they catch Covid playing football, it very well could.
If they can convince a jury they caught it playing football

Are player's gfs getting tested daily?

Is their friend circle getting tested daily?

Will they be isolated from the general student body when they come back?

Also where did you get the idea they were getting tested daily? Wildhack said they would up the testing and be tested twice a week starting the week of 9/7. Meaning right now they aren't being tested as often.

Is anyone back home even getting tested? At least there’s guarantees at the University for football players, whether daily or multiple times a week.

Correct my pie in the sky view if I'm not right. I wouldn't say I've followed it all that closely since it hasn't hit my favorite team.
Well we all know what team you play for. J/k
BTW are you a Yankee fan