If (God forbid) Keita is out for the year... | Syracusefan.com

If (God forbid) Keita is out for the year...

TBCuse11

Starter
Would we ever consider playing Chino? We are built to win THIS year and I do not think we can win it all with Grant being our backup center. The way we recruit, there is zero downside to burning the redshirt. I know it would suck for Chino, but having those 5 fouls could be big. i know it is VERY unlikely to happen, but...

Also, i would rather have Roberson at the 5 spot when Rak is out. Let him burn fouls. Grant is much better rebounding from the wing anyways.

Would we ever consider playing Chino? We are built to win THIS year and I do not think we can win it all with Grant being our backup center. The way we recruit, there is zero downside to burning the redshirt. I know it would suck for Chino, but having those 5 fouls could be big. i know it is VERY unlikely to happen, but...

Also, i would rather have Roberson at the 5 spot when Rak is out. Let him burn fouls. Grant is much better rebounding from the wing anyways.

Hell no. Nowhere near ready. You have a better chance at Russ Deremer playing center than Chino

I would rather have a guy who is not ready hack the opposing big man a few times, than i would have Grant be on the bench in foul trouble leading to a frontcourt of CJ, Roberson and Silent G.

I don't think playing Chino would be a help at this point, way too late in the season to throw him to the wolves.

If Baye is out and Rak needs to come out, I would like to see them try Roberson at center rather than Grant, especially if the opponent doesn't have a dominant center. I'm sure JB knows which alignment works better and that is the why we saw Grant there, but it seems like we would be better off playing one guy out of position than weakening two spots by playing Grant out of position and throwing Roberson in at Grant's spot.

I don't think playing Chino would be a help at this point, way too late in the season to throw him to the wolves.

If Baye is out and Rak needs to come out, I would like to see them try Roberson at center rather than Grant, especially if the opponent doesn't have a dominant center. I'm sure JB knows which alignment works better and that is the why we saw Grant there, but it seems like we would be better off playing one guy out of position than weakening two spots by playing Grant out of position and throwing Roberson in at Grant's spot.

Yes, i am aware that Chino will not play... but i would choose that over Grant at center. He played vs. scrubs last night. Pitt will eat him up and he will be in foul trouble. I really hope we try Roberson there.

(hopefully this is all a moot point anyways.)

This possible injury is twofold because it also will stop the big's from being aggressive. It seems like Rak has been getting more and more aggressive and now this would sting that a bit to me. But, on the other side of the coin let's hope this helps develop some guys that haven't been getting a lot of time...next man up.

Of course it would be considered, lets not be naive. If he's on this roster then he is ready for D1 basketball, maybe not to SU's current level but he might be better than what some of the teams we face have. If we had started the season with only one other center on the roster there would never have been a consideration of him redshirting. He's redshirting because he was #4 on the depth chart. If Baye joins Dajuan then that depth chart is changed completely. To say "he's not ready" hints that you are one of the coaches or current SU players which is pretty doubtful. What ultimatley will happen only JB knows. Chin would not have to face many players better than what he has been practicing against all year. Lastly I thiought early in the season there was a practice report intimating that Chin was already one of our best rebounders. Did I dream that? Consider? Yes. Happen? ?

Last edited:
Since few here have seen him play at all not sure how most of us would have any opinion.. His strength is supposed to be rebounding which I hope translates at any level. Maybe he cant play D at all, but I doubt he is much behind Baye on the Offensive side of the ball. I dont think we can win the tourney with one center and hope we dont have a single game of foul issues.. Most teams dont have dominate centers so while maybe he cant survive against Parker he should be able to play 10 min against most teams and not kill us.. But maybe the walkon center can provide that same level of play too in the short term..

Of course it would be considered, lets not be naive. If he's on this roster then he is ready for D1 basketball, maybe not to SU's current level but he might be better than what some of the teams we face have. If we had started the season with only one other center on the roster there would never have been a consideration of him redshirting. He's redshirting because he was #4 on the depth chart. If Rak joins Dajuan then that depth chart is changed completely. To say "he's not ready" hints that you are one of the coaches or current SU players which is pretty doubtful. What ultimatley will happen only JB knows. Chin would not have to face many players better than what he has been practicing against all year. Lastly I thiought early in the season there was a practice report intimating that Chin was already one of our best rebounders. Did I dream that? Consider? Yes. Happen? ?

This is more or less what I am thinking. Its just not probable that we can win it all with one center. We are the favorites to win it all, we need to play whoever we need to this year. Chino can certainly stand in the middle and contest shots for 6-8 mins a game.

Don't see any chance of this happening. With zero game experience he would simply not be able to be the anchor of our zone. Not to mention that he'd probably foul out immediately.

Of course it would be considered, lets not be naive.
I actually think its naive to think it would ever be considered at this point in the year. 2 great minds with exact opposite thoughts. Haha

I don't care how "ready" Chino is... You don't need to be "ready" to spell someone for a few minutes and hack away.

Those five fouls will be critical come March and, hopefully, April - Even if they all come in four minutes of playing time.

Also, a lot you guys all seem to know how "ready" the kid is as if you've watched him play defense for two hours a day at five practices a week for the last thirteen weeks - I call BS.

Do I think he has a polished offensive game? No.

But do I think he can play defense for three minutes a half and spell Rakeem? Hells to the yes.

I actually think its naive to think it would ever be considered at this point in the year. 2 great minds with exact opposite thoughts. Haha
Whoa back off now 690. I never said I was a great mind. But I have always appreciated your opinion! I also never gave my opinion other than it has to be "considered". I think we're all in for this season so JB's gotta weigh Chino's value. I could care less about burning a redshirt. He'll likley be recruited over anyhow.

Agree with that. Or at least put Roberson on the wing.

I know that Gbinije has forward experience, but I didn't like the lineup with him on the back line last night. And it's telling that Grant got 7 rebounds in something like 15 minutes and then ended up with 8 total after that extended run at center. Moving him to the 5 neutralizes every defensive asset that he possesses.

Agree with that. Or at least put Roberson on the wing.

I know that Gbinije has forward experience, but I didn't like the lineup with him on the back line last night. And it's telling that Grant got 7 rebounds in something like 15 minutes and then ended up with 8 total after that extended run at center. Moving him to the 5 neutralizes every defensive asset that he possesses.

Great point on the rebounding that to me is the biggest concern. Were not a great defensive rebounding team to begin with and last night Clemson was all over the Offensive glass. If Keita is out for an extended time both Roberson and Silent G are really going to have to hit the glass hard ditto for Fair.

Roberson needs to learn how to play the wing in the zone, so I don't see the staff asking him to learn the center spot as well.

If BMK is out, playing Chino has to be considered. Chino was recruited as the BMK replacement. If BMK is unavailable, that time table is moved up. Of course we can't expect much, but just having filler in the first half to ensure Rak only has two fouls in the first half, is all we really need. BMK gave us those kind of minutes as a frosh.

The idea that Roberson can do these duties is absurd. Roberson is having trouble learning his role in a position he played in high school. Just yesterday in limited minutes he was seen launching an ill-advised three.

If BMK is out, playing Chino has to be considered. Chino was recruited as the BMK replacement. If BMK is unavailable, that time table is moved up. Of course we can't expect much, but just having filler in the first half to ensure Rak only has two fouls in the first half, is all we really need. BMK gave us those kind of minutes as a frosh.

The idea that Roberson can do these duties is absurd. Roberson is having trouble learning his role in a position he played in high school. Just yesterday in limited minutes he was seen launching an ill-advised three.

I didnt have a problem with the three point attempt. He was wide open and I actually was encouraged he took the shot.

If BMK is out, JB has 1 month to feed Chino with a firehose. This situation is the only problem I see with playing zone exclusively. The 5 plays such an important role in the zone that we have to have 2 "serviceable" centers to have a decent shot at success in March. Regardless if Chino is physically ready to play, it is highly doubtful he is mentally ready to anchor the zone right now, if only for a 5 minutes a game. Rak can't go 38 minutes a game and last the season. There is too much wear and tear from playing in the paint.

I didnt have a problem with the three point attempt. He was wide open and I actually was encouraged he took the shot.
Well, okay, even if you didn't find problems with that, the main point is Roberson has seemed to be running a little behind all season from where many thought he would be. His minutes are less than what Grant had last year at the forward spot, with less competition (no DC2).

The idea of trying to convert Roberson into foul fodder at center seems like it would just be another detriment to Roberson's development at the forward spot. And I don't think he would as good at it as Chino, who probably has a lot more training.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom