If he took Wheatley | Syracusefan.com

If he took Wheatley

Toga

Living Legend
would someone let me know when our 30 second window opens to express any negatives emotions about this development? Thanks in advance.

would someone let me know when our 30 second window opens to express any negatives emotions about this development? Thanks in advance.
Reasoned, negative opinions welcome. I'd prefer if you share your negative emotions with your wife or dog.

Ever thought about shouting them in the garage and not posting them here?
That's where I go to beat things.

Expressing my disappointment is well served here though - it's what this place is for after all.

You mean whining incessantly about grown men trying to further their careers, not sure what world some of you people live in..what Marrone is doing is quite common. I get bitching about punting on 4th and 2 on the opponents 39 yard line but this stuff is just mind numbing, it's a f-ing business for these guys, not romper room

Knock yourself out though...

I was never a Marrone fan but all of these posts pissed at him for destroying the staff are absurd. DM is not "taking" anyone. Wheatley is a grown up. If he leaves he is leaving for a better job and a ton more cash. He will be leaving on his on accord - Marrone may be a lot of things but he is not kidnapping assistant coaches. If they wanted to stay at Syracuse, they would stay. Why would you want anyone - assistant or player - to stay when it is clear that they would rather be somewhere else that they deem as a better opportunity for them and whatever/whomever else that they have in their lives?

You mean he isn't in Buffalo saying how can I ruin SU football (sarcasm alert)

This is what sports fans do - they bitch when people leave, they bitch when people get hired. People expect that their coaches, players, etc...are as fanatical for their team as they are. And they have their own ideas about what the team should do. I don't really get the people that are surprised at the hurt feelings or feel like explaining that it's just life or a business. It's entertainment - and everyone gets out of it what they want.

Everyone moves on eventually anyway - and the board will return to normal (which is only slightly less abnormal than it is now).

Unless it's stupid personal attacks on players/coaches, who cares - let 'em vent for a week or two. lol

I just wish they all would announce What they are doing. Just do it all at once. The one coach leaves every 2 days only makes everything worse. Stop pouring salt in the wounds.

I just wish they all would announce What they are doing. Just do it all at once. The one coach leaves every 2 days only makes everything worse. Stop pouring salt in the wounds.
Sounds like realignment

That would be nice but I'm sure each coach had to mull it over with his family and as much as we'd like it to be timely, they have to do it at their speed.

That would be nice but I'm sure each coach had to mull it over with his family and as much as we'd like it to be timely, they have to do it at their speed.

Mull over what? It has been posted many times that the coaches came here for Doug not the university or Shafer so what is there to mull over?

Mull over what? It has been posted many times that the coaches came here for Doug not the university or Shafer so what is there to mull over?

Wheatley for one has a kid(s) here and maybe they even liked it here? Moving your kids every so often can be wearing on a family and these guys are not operating in a vacuum. They may have came for or because of Doug but sometimes you kind of like the choice you made for multiple reasons and much like Doug who had SU as his dream they may have been the ones that find it to be a lot nicer than they originally thought.

I don't blame any of these coaches for heading to better paying gigs. In fact, I think that we had a pretty damn good staff last season--one that really excelled at game planning--and that it is tough to keep a staff like that together for long at a school like SU.

Which is why I was hoping we'd be able to retain the bulk of them for at least one more year to help ease the transition to the new conference, under new head coach leadership.

Again, I don't have an issue with any of them going, even Marrone--such is life at a springboard program. It was unlikely that we weren't going to have some attrition, or that guys wouldn't have moved on on their own to pursue greener pastures after Marrone left.

Still...I don't see anything wrong with expressing displeasure about Marrone ransacking our staff. It is one thing for these guys to take their show on the road; it is another for our departed coach, who already has impacted the program with his departure, to be the one raiding the staff.

I am a Marrone-supporter, and am genuinely grateful for what he did here at SU, taking over the worst BCS program in the nation and righting the ship. But I'm getting saltier by the day with how his departure is continuing to adversely impact our program. No apologies for that.

I desperately hope that Marrone and Shafer talked about why GRob failed, and why the program was in the state it was in. With Wheatley, Hackett, and (likely) Adkins gone, IMO there are some hiring requirements that he simply has to get in a couple guys. Gotta have proven recruiters. Daoust and Morrison haven't moved the needle, or so it seems. I think having proven recruiters is more important than having great coaching at this point.

I desperately hope that Marrone and Shafer talked about why GRob failed, and why the program was in the state it was in. With Wheatley, Hackett, and (likely) Adkins gone, IMO there are some hiring requirements that he simply has to get in a couple guys. Gotta have proven recruiters. Daoust and Morrison haven't moved the needle, or so it seems. I think having proven recruiters is more important than having great coaching at this point.

No question--bringing in strong recruiters [preferably with northeastern ties] would be smart.

Wheatley for one has a kid(s) here and maybe they even liked it here? Moving your kids every so often can be wearing on a family and these guys are not operating in a vacuum. They may have came for or because of Doug but sometimes you kind of like the choice you made for multiple reasons and much like Doug who had SU as his dream they may have been the ones that find it to be a lot nicer than they originally thought.
You double your pay - you move your kids. And if you come to Syracuse and found it nicer than you thought, going to Buffalo with a NFL job and a 100K+ more a year is probably pretty nice too.

Face palm.

As others have said, Wheatley has at least one child in high school. In fact, my high school, and he plays a couple varsity sports. Stop making it seem like this decision is easy on these men who have established families.

Face palm.

As others have said, Wheatley has at least one child in high school. In fact, my high school, and he plays a couple varsity sports. Stop making it seem like this decision is easy on these men who have established families.
It is easy - its the NFL, its big money and most importantly it is what is expected in the profession that these guys entered. Worst case - family stays while he moves a couple hours away until they work it out. I am not saying that uprooting family is easy - but these guys are in a business that involves multiple moves for those that are good at what they do. Don't want to move, be a HS coach or simply say no to promotions.

It is easy - its the NFL, its big money and most importantly it is what is expected in the profession that these guys entered. Worst case - family stays while he moves a couple hours away until they work it out. I am not saying that uprooting family is easy - but these guys are in a business that involves multiple moves for those that are good at what they do. Don't want to move, be a HS coach or simply say no to promotions.

My point is, one does not simply go home and tell the family the situation, and within five minutes the decision is made to do the uprooting of family you are referring to.

There is no offensive coordinator.

I would be surprised if we retained any of the offensive coaches. They need to make sure they have jobs and Shafer can't knee-cap an incoming OC by dictating staff necessarily.

There is no offensive coordinator.

I would be surprised if we retained any of the offensive coaches. They need to make sure they have jobs and Shafer can't knee-cap an incoming OC by dictating staff necessarily.

Retained any? Are there any who haven't left of their own volition other than Rob Moore?

My point is, one does not simply go home and tell the family the situation, and within five minutes the decision is made to do the uprooting of family you are referring to.
I agree - coaches are looking for the next step most of the time that they are working. The opportunity with Marrone may have been a new one but I seriously doubt that the Wheatley family had not discussed the next potential move before this one. An ex-NFL 1st round pick and college All-American doesn't get into coaching to live out his career in central NY.

Don't follow FB then.

I agree - coaches are looking for the next step most of the time that they are working. The opportunity with Marrone may have been a new one but I seriously doubt that the Wheatley family had not discussed the next potential move before this one. An ex-NFL 1st round pick and college All-American doesn't get into coaching to live out his career in central NY.

One of my best friends from college is a Michigan guy. He has season tickets, follows the team as closely as we do SU, etc.

When we hired Wheatley, he said that the skuttlebutt amongst their fanbase was that it was great from their perspective. Wheatley is a favorite son, and they were interested in having him eventually replace their RB coaching guru, who's been there for 20+ years. But they felt like it was a good thing for him to leave the nest, gain coaching experience, prove himself, etc.

I'm not sure what Wheatley's aspirations are; maybe he WANTS to be at the NFL level versus coach at his alma mater. Obviously, that's totally up to him.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom