If - IF - Howard is gone at end of season | Syracusefan.com

If - IF - Howard is gone at end of season

Newhouser

Hall of Fame
How was it decided that he was kept on the team or is playing at all? Did the players have a say? Are we trying to rehabilitate after whatever his behavior was? Is the program stance that he is dead to us unless Gillon is playing poorly (also not a look I love)?

If he is getting sent packing at the end of the year, I'm not sure the merit of him playing adds up. You are either part of the program or you aren't, it is why I'm not thrilled with the grad transfer trend. This whole situation seems off on a lot of levels from whatever Howard's offense, to it's impact on the program, to the way the program is handling the situation. It's uncomfortable as an alum and fan. I know it's not a situation the public should know about or be on the inside of so I'm not seeking solutions, just self-acceptance that the school is doing right by the players (and I guess even Howard).

Really wish these conversations could share what is rumored/known about Howard. Tired of this nonsense.
Look, think of the worst possible thing a college student can do. Got it? Ok, now think of something half as bad as that. Got that? Ok, now think of something 3x as bad as the second thing. Got that also? Ok, finally think of something 25 percent as bad as that. That's what Frank did.

He hurt the program. Period. It has nothing to do with his play on the court.
He should be gone now but we only have 8'players available and JB wants to get thru the season.
If we had more bodies I would hope JB would have gotten rid of him already.

I was willing to give Frank the benefit of the doubt but when he finally got some run last night, looked over and saw Gillon ready to check back in and promptly fired up a bad 3 he lost that benefit with me. Cue last years comment on Robey "If I had anyone else who could play he wouldn't get a minute."

He should be gone now but we only have 8'players available and JB wants to get thru the season.
I get that and has me questioning - is the season (which clearly isn't going anywhere) more important than the program. Message is do what you want especially if we have a bad roster as we will keep you around. The offense is either worthy of having the privilege of wearing the Orange uniform taken away or it isn't. Needs of the current roster IMHO should not be a factor.

I get that and has me questioning - is the season (which clearly isn't going anywhere) more important than the program. Message is do what you want especially if we have a bad roster as we will keep you around. The offense is either worthy of having the privilege of wearing the Orange uniform taken away or it isn't. Needs of the current roster IMHO should not be a factor.
I would prefer he gone now. However I think JB wants to keep what Howard did from becoming a bigger story in the press.
By just letting the season lapse it mitigates the damage somewhat.

Gillon does not always make great decisions nor make great plays. However, I can appreciate that he ALWAYS seems to be giving it his all. You can fault him for his play, but not his effort. Those are the types of guys I want on the court.

FH has crashed and burned this season. X-players raved about him this offseason and he looked great the 1st few games. Then he hit a wall and that's it.

How was it decided that he was kept on the team or is playing at all? Did the players have a say? Are we trying to rehabilitate after whatever his behavior was? Is the program stance that he is dead to us unless Gillon is playing poorly (also not a look I love)?

If he is getting sent packing at the end of the year, I'm not sure the merit of him playing adds up. You are either part of the program or you aren't, it is why I'm not thrilled with the grad transfer trend. This whole situation seems off on a lot of levels from whatever Howard's offense, to it's impact on the program, to the way the program is handling the situation. It's uncomfortable as an alum and fan. I know it's not a situation the public should know about or be on the inside of so I'm not seeking solutions, just self-acceptance that the school is doing right by the players (and I guess even Howard).

What?

I would prefer he gone now. However I think JB wants to keep what Howard did from becoming a bigger story in the press.
By just letting the season lapse it mitigates the damage somewhat.

am i missing something? What did frank howard do other than not fit in chemistry wise?

Did he impregnate a GF and stomp on Chukwu's face?

just got hit with dose of deja vu there.

am i missing something? What did frank howard do other than not fit in chemistry wise?

Did he impregnate a GF and stomp on Chukwu's face?

just got hit with dose of deja vu there.

I was going to say the same thing. The other day there was a thread that took 2 or 3 pages before someone would hint that maybe Frank was a little bit of an issue in the locker room. Now we're talking like it is common knowledge that he is Hannibal Lechter??

Maybe you are right - was it a fight between the two that caused Chukwu's eye issue??

You don't cut off your nose to spite your face. We need every body we have to get through this year. As we saw last night, if Gillon and/or TB get into foul trouble unfortunately, Frank is the only option we have right now. Finish the season then give him his walking papers.

If the behavior is bad then he should be asked to leave regardless of how many players we have. I really hope Jimmy is making the right choice here.

I was going to say the same thing. The other day there was a thread that took 2 or 3 pages before someone would hint that maybe Frank was a little bit of an issue in the locker room. Now we're talking like it is common knowledge that he is Hannibal Lechter??

Maybe you are right - was it a fight between the two that caused Chukwu's eye issue??
Chukwu was hit by a pass in the face during the Holy Cross game.

Look, think of the worst possible thing a college student can do. Got it? Ok, now think of something half as bad as that. Got that? Ok, now think of something 3x as bad as the second thing. Got that also? Ok, finally think of something 25 percent as bad as that. That's what Frank did.
Here's the thing, I actually know exactly what has transpired. I'm just tired of not being able to discuss it openly. It's beyond annoying, and I feel badly for everyone not 'in the know.'

If only we had more than two incoming recruits coming in, none being a PG. Things are looking bright!

Here's the thing, I actually know exactly what has transpired. I'm just tired of not being able to discuss it openly. It's beyond annoying, and I feel badly for everyone not 'in the know.'
Obviously the details are probably moot at this point. We know it's bad enough where any coach could make a case to dismiss from the team. If that decision was tabled because JB thinks he needs Howard to eke out a couple more wins this year, then JB should step down immediately as well. The only salvage is removing the cancer entirely. Integrity and respect for teammates and the program should always come first.

Obviously the details are probably moot at this point. We know it's bad enough where any coach could make a case to dismiss from the team. If that decision was tabled because JB thinks he needs Howard to eke out a couple more wins this year, then JB should step down immediately as well. The only salvage is removing the cancer entirely. Integrity and respect for teammates and the program should always come first.
I could not agree with you more on this!

How was it decided that he was kept on the team or is playing at all? Are we trying to rehabilitate after whatever his behavior was?
Rescue. Rehabilitate. Release. JB's new meme. Maybe that will catch on with Nike as well.

You would think...

Two things enter my mind. One, the rumors aren't as true as many of us believe. Two, JB really wants a 1,000 wins. I really hate the second one.

Of course, the third option is that despite his gruff exterior, JB really thinks he can get through and not just discard Frank which he knows would doom Frank's future plans.

Some people might not realize how funny your post truly is.

If Howard did something that bad then boot him. Honestly JB could have just played Gillon the whole game last night. Howard wasn't any better and made no difference. Stop yo-yoing Gillon and just let him play.

I was willing to give Frank the benefit of the doubt but when he finally got some run last night, looked over and saw Gillon ready to check back in and promptly fired up a bad 3 he lost that benefit with me. Cue last years comment on Robey "If I had anyone else who could play he wouldn't get a minute."

Eh, I don't love it, but guys have been doing that pretty regularly for decades. I would guess that Thompson forces a shot 80% of the time he sees Lydon or Roberson or Coleman come to the scorer's table. This one's not a huge deal.

I don't think we can take too much away from Frank's on-court performance. Among other things, Dino's observation that his confidence is shattered is spot-on.

If anything, Boeheim's treatment of Howard after his clumsy foul of a jumpshooter last night spoke volumes: he called him over during the free throws; Frank looked like he was expecting a hook, but Boeheim calmly said a couple words and kept him in. We'll see what happens, but sometimes Boeheim's been low-key toward kids when he's given up on them. It happened with Joseph last season.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom