1. If you are getting script errors or redirects, please click here and switch to the "Alternate Style." You can dismiss this notice by clicking the little x at the top right of this box. If you still have a problem, email me at: tom@emery.net
    Dismiss Notice

If - IF - Howard is gone at end of season

Discussion in 'Syracuse Basketball Board' started by Newhouser, Jan 11, 2017.

1. Newhouser

Newhouser 2nd String

How was it decided that he was kept on the team or is playing at all? Did the players have a say? Are we trying to rehabilitate after whatever his behavior was? Is the program stance that he is dead to us unless Gillon is playing poorly (also not a look I love)?

If he is getting sent packing at the end of the year, I'm not sure the merit of him playing adds up. You are either part of the program or you aren't, it is why I'm not thrilled with the grad transfer trend. This whole situation seems off on a lot of levels from whatever Howard's offense, to it's impact on the program, to the way the program is handling the situation. It's uncomfortable as an alum and fan. I know it's not a situation the public should know about or be on the inside of so I'm not seeking solutions, just self-acceptance that the school is doing right by the players (and I guess even Howard).

2. CuseFaninVT

CuseFaninVT Living Legend

Really wish these conversations could share what is rumored/known about Howard. Tired of this nonsense.

3. SBU72

SBU72 Starter

Yup, either keep it entirely on the pay side or come clean with situation.

4. AZOrange

AZOrange Hall of Fame

Look, think of the worst possible thing a college student can do. Got it? Ok, now think of something half as bad as that. Got that? Ok, now think of something 3x as bad as the second thing. Got that also? Ok, finally think of something 25 percent as bad as that. That's what Frank did.

5. Alsacs

Alsacs Living Legend

He hurt the program. Period. It has nothing to do with his play on the court.
    He should be gone now but we only have 8'players available and JB wants to get thru the season.
    If we had more bodies I would hope JB would have gotten rid of him already.

SUskibum, HOFCeluck, Scotch and 7 others like this.
  6. Consigliere

Consigliere Starter

I was willing to give Frank the benefit of the doubt but when he finally got some run last night, looked over and saw Gillon ready to check back in and promptly fired up a bad 3 he lost that benefit with me. Cue last years comment on Robey "If I had anyone else who could play he wouldn't get a minute."

SUskibum, Willy75, HOFCeluck and 7 others like this.
  7. Newhouser

Newhouser 2nd String

I get that and has me questioning - is the season (which clearly isn't going anywhere) more important than the program. Message is do what you want especially if we have a bad roster as we will keep you around. The offense is either worthy of having the privilege of wearing the Orange uniform taken away or it isn't. Needs of the current roster IMHO should not be a factor.

8. Alsacs

Alsacs Living Legend

I would prefer he gone now. However I think JB wants to keep what Howard did from becoming a bigger story in the press.
    By just letting the season lapse it mitigates the damage somewhat.

orangedave, SUskibum, Doc5120 and 3 others like this.
  9. dan7800

dan7800 Scout Team

Gillon does not always make great decisions nor make great plays. However, I can appreciate that he ALWAYS seems to be giving it his all. You can fault him for his play, but not his effort. Those are the types of guys I want on the court.

FH has crashed and burned this season. X-players raved about him this offseason and he looked great the 1st few games. Then he hit a wall and that's it.

Jasoncuse and MSOrange like this.
  10. CusefanATL

CusefanATL Hall of Fame

What?

11. CusefanATL

CusefanATL Hall of Fame

am i missing something? What did frank howard do other than not fit in chemistry wise?

Did he impregnate a GF and stomp on Chukwu's face?

just got hit with dose of deja vu there.

12. HoustonCuse

HoustonCuse Hall of Fame

I was going to say the same thing. The other day there was a thread that took 2 or 3 pages before someone would hint that maybe Frank was a little bit of an issue in the locker room. Now we're talking like it is common knowledge that he is Hannibal Lechter??

Maybe you are right - was it a fight between the two that caused Chukwu's eye issue??

13. Orangello

Orangello All American

You don't cut off your nose to spite your face. We need every body we have to get through this year. As we saw last night, if Gillon and/or TB get into foul trouble unfortunately, Frank is the only option we have right now. Finish the season then give him his walking papers.

14. 81South

81South 2016 Iggy Winner

If the behavior is bad then he should be asked to leave regardless of how many players we have. I really hope Jimmy is making the right choice here.

15. Ryand877

Ryand877 2nd String

Chukwu was hit by a pass in the face during the Holy Cross game.

16. CuseFaninVT

CuseFaninVT Living Legend

Here's the thing, I actually know exactly what has transpired. I'm just tired of not being able to discuss it openly. It's beyond annoying, and I feel badly for everyone not 'in the know.'

JDubbin, NJCuse97, suttree and 3 others like this.
  17. We Are Syracuse

We Are Syracuse All Conference

If only we had more than two incoming recruits coming in, none being a PG. Things are looking bright!

FrancoPizza likes this.
  18. FrancoPizza

FrancoPizza Starter

Obviously the details are probably moot at this point. We know it's bad enough where any coach could make a case to dismiss from the team. If that decision was tabled because JB thinks he needs Howard to eke out a couple more wins this year, then JB should step down immediately as well. The only salvage is removing the cancer entirely. Integrity and respect for teammates and the program should always come first.

19. Ryand877

Ryand877 2nd String

I could not agree with you more on this!

two3zone likes this.
  20. FrancoPizza

FrancoPizza Starter

Rescue. Rehabilitate. Release. JB's new meme. Maybe that will catch on with Nike as well.

CuseFaninVT likes this.