If it is found James cheated... | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

If it is found James cheated...

Nah, he just wasn't eligible. SAT score got flagged, I think - jumped from a non-qualifying score to a pretty decent one.
OK, but doesn't the point of the post remain?
Your moral crusade in this thread is most impressive.

are you really still banging that drum?
as someone pointed out, that person's delivery was clearly confrontational and loaded with condescending attitude.
nice work with sycophants, though!

My point stands: for too many, the source of the opinion matters more than the opinion itself. And that's unfortunate.

OK, but doesn't the point of the post remain?
Your moral crusade in this thread is most impressive.

What are you talking about?

And for someone who took umbrage with another poster's perceived "confrontational" tone, your posts come across as funny. As does this "moral crusade" business.

What are you talking about?

And for someone who took umbrage with another poster's perceived "confrontational" tone, your posts come across as funny. As does this "moral crusade" business.

:rolleyes:
yes, umbrage

Selfishly, I want JS back. I'm an SU grad and if he cheated, I'm not overly upset. PLENTY of college students cheat their way through, which is certainly not right, but it happens. How are they treated if caught? Their transgressions certainly aren't publicized. A year later (supposedly) are they still dealing with it?

It just seems he's being adversely treated because of his status as an athlete. Maybe that's deserved, maybe not. He's already paid a pretty steep price with lost games and that public nature of his problem. How much more of a punishment does he deserve?

I just want to point out the douchebaggery of this post when both teams each have the same 7 league wins.

And for the record, I don't think he is coming back.
Riiiiiiiiight.
Some idiot fan of another team/school comes on here to troll and talk garbage and is smacked down for it. Where, exactly, is the douchebaggery?
And, so you're predicting a st.johns win tomorrow?

Maybe someone will have gotten to this in the next couple pages, but here goes:

Biden plagiarized a law review note he wrote while at Syracuse. Nasty thing to do, no doubt about it.

Of course this was nearly 50 years ago, when Syracuse had a different honor code, a different set of academic standards, and a different set of penalties for academic dishonesty, so it's absurd to compare his trangression to whatever Southerland has gotten himself into.
Thanks. Agreed it's a silly comparison

I'm not even sure why I feel the need to defend myself in front of anonymous posters on an internet forum, that being said:

My original post was in no way confrontational or condescending. If you read it that way, it's your problem, or maybe I need to be more aware of how my tone comes off. I work on a trading floor and that's just how communication goes. I asked who would want him back, IF he indeed did plagiarize, and stated my opinion that I would not. I was more curious than anything, I wanted to see where this board stood on the issue, because frankly I did not know. Well I found out. I want college sports to remain college sports; there are already professional sports leagues in existence. People then jumped on me and trashed me and asked me to "just get up and leave" (lol), most because I have the word "duke" in my handle, which is entirely irrelevant to the discussion at hand. I was then condescending in response to these people, because, frankly, they deserved it. I have no idea if JS cheated or not. As a betting man, well, it, why even state the opinion, I know it'll just infuriate people.

But now I'm done w this topic and probably this forum. Good day.

are you really still banging that drum?
as someone pointed out, that person's delivery was clearly confrontational and loaded with condescending attitude.
nice work with sycophants, though!

You know that's not true.

Hundreds of people come into contact with kids' transcripts and coaches aren't shy about speaking - in generalities, at least - with one another about them. Student-athletes' academic chops become a matter of common knowledge within the community pretty quickly. One doesn't need to see someone's transcript to hear about his history.
you do need to see them if you want to be anywhere near accurate in your claims!

you do need to see them if you want to be anywhere near accurate in your claims!

If you're making a specific claim, that'd be best. On the other hand, if someone in coaching who I trust were to tell me something about a kid's transcript, I'd probably take him at face value without actually seeing the transcript myself.

(For the record, I don't know anything about South's transcript or academic history. He's from a nice family, went to a decent high school, and then prepped at a sketchy but popular institution.)

If you're making a specific claim, that'd be best. On the other hand, if someone in coaching who I trust were to tell me something about a kid's transcript, I'd probably take him at face value without actually seeing the transcript myself.

(For the record, I don't know anything about South's transcript or academic history. He's from a nice family, went to a decent high school, and then prepped at a sketchy but popular institution.)
I wouldn't pass on something so negative about another person unless I saw the evidence myself. That is just me. I would believe it. I just wouldn't repeat it.

I just want to point out the douchebaggery of this post when both teams each have the same 7 league wins.

And for the record, I don't think he is coming back.

Unfortunately I think you're right.

Selfishly, I want JS back. I'm an SU grad and if he cheated, I'm not overly upset. PLENTY of college students cheat their way through, which is certainly not right, but it happens. How are they treated if caught? Their transgressions certainly aren't publicized. A year later (supposedly) are they still dealing with it?

It just seems he's being adversely treated because of his status as an athlete. Maybe that's deserved, maybe not. He's already paid a pretty steep price with lost games and that public nature of his problem. How much more of a punishment does he deserve?

If his GPA after this incident is adjudicated is greater than 2.0, then he should be able to play. Otherwise, he shouldn't. That's a pretty clean line.

Riiiiiiiiight.
Some idiot fan of another team/school comes on here to troll and talk garbage and is smacked down for it. Where, exactly, is the douchebaggery?
And, so you're predicting a st.johns win tomorrow?

That post was only something that 13-yeard old Matt24 poster make. It was certainly douchbagery.

I pointed out how if St. John's is so terrible, why are they and Syracuse tied in the W column?

And sure, since I'll say Syracuse loses to St. John's tomorrow. I have a bad feeling, which is never ever wrong.

I wouldn't pass on something so negative about another person unless I saw the evidence myself. That is just me. I would believe it. I just wouldn't repeat it.

Probably the best course of action, I agree.

We took a risk with JS. He went to a fake HS and was probably unprepared for college.
I think you are wrong on this, Alaska. James was recruited in the class with Kris Joseph & Mookie Jones. I believe that he graduated that year from Bayside Cardozo, a well regarded public school. He chose to attend Notre Dame Prep for a year in order to hone his hoop skills and gain some maturity. He didn't attend ND for academic purposes

Yeah, really pathetic.

I'm grateful for many of CTO's insights and I think her opinion is spot-on. But the reaction of the sycophants is cringe-worthy. For many, who expresses the opinion seems to matter a lot more than the opinion itself.
I am entitled to my opinion as much as anyone else. Take it or leave it. Some agree with me, some don't. Whatever. I am not going to lose sleep over it ... especially at 2:47 a.m.

I'm not even sure why I feel the need to defend myself in front of anonymous posters on an internet forum, that being said:

My original post was in no way confrontational or condescending. If you read it that way, it's your problem, or maybe I need to be more aware of how my tone comes off. I work on a trading floor and that's just how communication goes. I asked who would want him back, IF he indeed did plagiarize, and stated my opinion that I would not. I was more curious than anything, I wanted to see where this board stood on the issue, because frankly I did not know. Well I found out. I want college sports to remain college sports; there are already professional sports leagues in existence. People then jumped on me and trashed me and asked me to "just get up and leave" (lol), most because I have the word "duke" in my handle, which is entirely irrelevant to the discussion at hand. I was then condescending in response to these people, because, frankly, they deserved it. I have no idea if JS cheated or not. As a betting man, well, it, why even state the opinion, I know it'll just infuriate people.

But now I'm done w this topic and probably this forum. Good day.

Actually, it's not irrelevant at all.

We both agree JS should be punished if he indeed did cheat - although we'd probably disagree on how severe this punishment should be if it comes to that - however, he's just a bit player in collegiate athletics. What should happen to universities that not only cheat but do so in a far worse way than JS? Furthermore, what about the universities collectively - the NCAA - what should happen to them when they a) make rules that effectively legalize cheating, and, b) fail to penalize universities when they do wrong?

As I mentioned earlier in "your" thread:

1) Duke gave a scholarship to someone who had an SAT score of less than 700 because he could play basketball at a high level. This was legal but a) it cheats a person with the qualifications of a non-athlete student from receiving a basketball schollie and b) it could be perceived as legalized cheating. Instead of a person having to cheat to attain a score the university requires a far lower score or drops the requirement completely.

2) Duke used an ineligible player to reach the Final Four in 1999. When they found out about it they did not forfeit any games (I don't believe Duke found out until after the season was over but I'm not sure). When the NCAA found out about it they basically did nothing. This isn't technically cheating but you would think Duke and/or the NCAA would take the high road on this and at least vacate the NCAA tournament games.

3) On at least two separate occasions two different rich supporters of Duke who are friends of Coach K gave a job to a parent of a recruit. This is cheating and wrong. Oh, by the way, the NCAA has never penalized Duke for this unethical behavior.

What Duke has done is far worse than what JS has done. What the NCAA hasn't done to Duke is far worse than what JS has done. If you don't see that, you're not as moral as you think.

My point stands: for too many, the source of the opinion matters more than the opinion itself. And that's unfortunate.

You're just realizing this? Internet forums give people a chance to relive their high school glory days when being "liked" was the only thing that mattered. Some mature and grow out of the phase. Many don't.

You're just realizing this? Internet forums give people a chance to relive their high school glory days when being "liked" was the only thing that mattered. Some mature and grow out of the phase. Many don't.

...and some like to be the "loner" in that smokes cigarettes and wears leather jackets.

I am entitled to my opinion as much as anyone else. Take it or leave it. Some agree with me, some don't. Whatever. I am not going to lose sleep over it ... especially at 2:47 a.m.

I think you should read my post again.

I will be the first to say there is a little Uncle Rico in all of us. There is nothing wrong with that either.

Boeheim would never schedule somebody outside the Carrier Dome nor tougher than St. Leo's so I'm not sure you can comment. Oh wait? Didn't Asheville get totally scammed by refs in the NCAA's last year and against Syracuse nonetheless? Surprised you mentioned UNC Asheville considering your tainted win over them. I watched that game and it was one of the biggest travesties in NCAA history.