If Jimmy Boeheim III is the backup C going forward | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

If Jimmy Boeheim III is the backup C going forward

I think Frank has been fine in his limited backup role but he’s an average rebounder and doesn’t blocks shots. He’s mostly just long and mobile.

That being said, Jimmy at the middle of the zone is a disaster. I feel like JB is trying to prove that it worked (lol) with Dole and that his son can do it too.
I would argue that Frank is better than an average rebounder—or at least has the potential to be. He had 5 boards in 10 Minutes against Wake.

I would argue that Frank is better than an average rebounder—or at least has the potential to be. He had 5 boards in 10 Minutes against Wake.
I think he has potential to be a better rebounder. Right now from an eye test, he kind of loses all these 50/50 rebounds.

I think he has potential to be a better rebounder. Right now from an eye test, he kind of loses all these 50/50 rebounds.
He certainly does not have the hands/coordination of Edwards. It hurts his offensive game as well.

This is an on-going issue at SU, since at least Rak and Melo. I get that centers are tough to identify and recruit (the good ones are usually easy to spot and thus end up on teams who recruit very we$$. Those guys usually like to be involved on offense too. And then being near 7-ft tall and playing a game that involves running and jumping, just leads to injuries.

But playing Lydon and Marek out of position and now Jimmy (even briefly) is a trend.
It goes back many years- it’s not new:

Derrick Coleman
Otis Hill
Conrad Mcrae
Billy Celuck…
All played the 5- all were really forwards.
The true centers like Bouie, Schayes, Forth, Fab Melo, those guys were relatively rare. Once our recruiting was hit by sanctions, JB decided turning big shooting guards into PG’s, and PF ‘s into centers, was how he’d exploit mismatches on offense.
In the past, our defense could compensate because of the system and athleticism, but now we don’t have that luxury. Yet here we are…again.

Last edited:
It goes back many years- it’s not new:

Derrick Coleman
Otis Hill
Conrad Mcrae
Billy Celuck…
Outside of Coleman, they were all clearly centers. How is Celuck a forward.

Listen, it's like those old rock n jock basketball games on MTV.

We just need to outscore opponents bc we are just plain done with defense I guess.

I'm fine with that, but let's find out where that 10 point shot is on the floor.
ummmm...did you watch the game they scored 61 PTS against us and that's pretty good for anyone.

Outside of Coleman, they were all clearly centers. How is Celuck a forward.
Thinking about it, you may actually be right- since I’m looking at those players through contemporary glasses.
I remember Celuck as a skinnier-than-Marek forward, who ended up playing the 5. And Otis Hill and Conrad McRae were both pushing 6’8 at best.
They would certainly be seen as more PF’s than centers in todays game, so there is that. JMHO

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom