If Marrone Had The Ensley Center... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

If Marrone Had The Ensley Center...

Hackett was about 12 back then.
How do we know he would have been any better than Shafer at the program management aspect of the job?
I really don’t want to go down this road but I will say this.
I didn’t want Hackett or Shafer.
However Hackett was Marrone’s Guy.
He was his pupil.
He was 31 when Marrone brought him in.
If we wanted to continue Marrone’s work you keep his guy.
Shafer had been a coach longer and wasn’t a Marrone Guy.
He was a good DC but he wasn’t going to continue Marrone’s program.
Gross gambled and lost.
I wouldn’t have preferred either but Gross did and chose Shafer.

Hackett also was the son of a pretty decent coach so he had the lineage.

Don’t get me wrong I didn’t want either.
I just take offense over defense as well for college football.

I really don’t want to go down this road but I will say this.
I didn’t want Hackett or Shafer.
However Hackett was Marrone’s Guy.
He was his pupil.
He was 31 when Marrone brought him in.
If we wanted to continue Marrone’s work you keep his guy.
Shafer had been a coach longer and wasn’t a Marrone Guy.
He was a good DC but he wasn’t going to continue Marrone’s program.
Gross gambled and lost.
I wouldn’t have preferred either but Gross did and chose Shafer.

Hackett also was the son of a pretty decent coach so he had the lineage.

Don’t get me wrong I didn’t want either.
I just take offense over defense as well for college football.

I think if you’re the AD and you feel you have to hire from within (timing, money, continuation, whatever) Shafer made more sense. Older and had actually carried the program for 4 years as DC, while boy wonder tried and tried to find anything until that last season.

I don’t think I’d have hired either, so we agree there.

and the money to pay assistants that is now available, is there any doubt in anyone's mind that Syracuse would be a top 20 team every year? No doubt in my mind.

So, Babers has the Ensley Center and the $$$. What should we reasonably expect?
Yikes, not another Saint Dougie thread. He would have left at the first NFL bid.

Yikes, not another Saint Dougie thread. He would have left at the first NFL bid.

Exactly. Cleveland or Buffalo. Not exactly winning franchises lol

You forget - Marrone did not like recruiting. It's hard to be Top 20 if you aren't going to get out and work to get the kids. There's only so much of that you can push on to assistants.

Well he hated losing at it, but had a system for better or worse. With real administrative support and $$$ instead of the Nancy and Dr. Gross show who knows, but being a chief fundraiser - yeah, not him.

and the money to pay assistants that is now available, is there any doubt in anyone's mind that Syracuse would be a top 20 team every year? No doubt in my mind.

So, Babers has the Ensley Center and the $$$. What should we reasonably expect?

I think the more interesting question is whether he would have stayed had he been given all of that.

I know that he was very - very - frustrated by the lack of movement on the infrastructure issue while he was here.

He is an impatient man - that's his nature. I have to believe that the facility issue caused him to think about leaving.

If he had been given the Ensley Center and improved training room facilities - something he really complained about - his ability to recruit would have been enhanced and that frustration - losing players he thought he would or should get - might have been satisfied as well.

So, he may have stayed.

I wonder.

Exactly.

And somebody was trying to give Syracuse credit for Patricia even...please.

I did t want Hackett 4 or 5 years ago and I don't want him now.

I also didn't want shafer.

I also don't think Marrone would be a good college coach, or at least wouldn't last very long.

He is right where he should be.

Well, actually he should be in E Rutherford, but that's a topic for a different thread...

Except one thing - he was a good college coach - a very good college coach.

Where he "should be" is probably a question that only he can answer.

He certainly had a positive effect on the young athletes he coached on The Hill.

Great companies do everything they possibly can to retain productive managers, let alone a guy who is running your whole operation. Failing companies say stuff like, " This is what we are able to do and if you don't like it, there's the door".

Except one thing - he was a good college coach - a very good college coach.

Where he "should be" is probably a question that only he can answer.

He certainly had a positive effect on the young athletes he coached on The Hill.

Very good college coach? Um... That is still up for debate. His offense was mediocre to poor for 3 years. His recruiting was subpar. Those are not hallmarks of "very good"... I'd put him at "good"... Very good should be reserved for Urban Meyer and Nick Saban IMO.

I do think he's a very good NFL coach.

P would have liked to have had field turf at the Dome never mind the Ensley Center. It is still amazing that they waited so long to make even the most basic upgrades.

But, but it was "impossible" to do in the Dome setting...or so the archaic powers that be at the time stated how the story goes... ;)

If it only helped Coach P maintain our edge over schools like Temple and Rutgers, he'd still be here. Or, at least, our program's decline wouldn't have been as steep.

Doug is an excellent football coach, it shouldn’t be questioned. What he accomplished here was quite impressive, given the talent level of the program.

I think he would have done great things here had he stayed. He could outscheme most coaches, and also gets the most out of his talent (look at Nassib, Lemon, Sales, etc).

That being said, he is also extremely quirky and can be difficult to work with. His personality isn’t going to light up a room, and some people just do not like it. The two aspects of Doug aren’t mutually exclusive.

I have found that most people who excel in their professional careers are in fact demanding of others. Ask folks what Nick Saban or Urban Myer are like to work for.

P would have liked to have had field turf at the Dome never mind the Ensley Center. It is still amazing that they waited so long to make even the most basic upgrades.
i always have to make this post but back in the day, we were told that they couldn't do field turf in the dome.

i wrote to the company asking them if it was the case - i was upfront that i was a nobody fan - i was expecting some auto reply. the ceo wrote back very enthusiastic that of course they could do it - i had to tell him to cool his jets that i was just a drunk kid and had no connection or pull whatsoever

Doug is an excellent football coach, it shouldn’t be questioned. What he accomplished here was quite impressive, given the talent level of the program.

I think he would have done great things here had he stayed. He could outscheme most coaches, and also gets the most out of his talent (look at Nassib, Lemon, Sales, etc).

That being said, he is also extremely quirky and can be difficult to work with. His personality isn’t going to light up a room, and some people just do not like it. The two aspects of Doug aren’t mutually exclusive.

I have found that most people who excel in their professional careers are in fact demanding of others. Ask folks what Nick Saban or Urban Myer are like to work for.

And he's very upfront about the fact that he's a pretty dour loner.

And if the Bills front office loafers were upset that they needed to get with the program, who would argue with that.

i always have to make this post but back in the day, we were told that they couldn't do field turf in the dome.

i wrote to the company asking them if it was the case - i was upfront that i was a nobody fan - i was expecting some auto reply. the ceo wrote back very enthusiastic that of course they could do it - i had to tell him to cool his jets that i was just a drunk kid and had no connection or pull whatsoever

Could they do it? Yes.

Did Buzz want to spend the money? No.

True.

The AstroTurf was a recruiting tool used by other schools - including Rutgers/Schiano.

But, but it was "impossible" to do in the Dome setting...or so the archaic powers that be at the time stated how the story goes... ;)

It was impossible in the sense that it would have eliminated the Dome as an indoor track facility.

That was always my understanding.

Very good college coach? Um... That is still up for debate. His offense was mediocre to poor for 3 years. His recruiting was subpar. Those are not hallmarks of "very good"... I'd put him at "good"... Very good should be reserved for Urban Meyer and Nick Saban IMO.

I do think he's a very good NFL coach.

The salvaging of the Robinson program in two years was remarkable.

In my opinion, he was a very good college coach - bordering on great.

And he's very upfront about the fact that he's a pretty dour loner.

And if the Bills front office loafers were upset that they needed to get with the program, who would argue with that.
he's fine and it only took Syracuse and Buffalo 3 and 2 years respectively be no worse off

hackett's development as a coach has to be helping marrone - good for both of them. 11th in yards per play for a team that runs so much is pretty good. more evidence that bortles must be doing something right. 11th in net passing yards per attempt (yards per att adj for sack yards), 9th in rushing ypa

it's not all defense

interesting to look at rushing yards per defense stats

there are some really bad teams who are good in that stat. jacksonville didn't fare well there but it's not hurting them

True.

The AstroTurf was a recruiting tool used by other schools - including Rutgers/Schiano.

We should probably thank Schiano for getting us field turf.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseVegas

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom