If Marrone Had The Ensley Center... | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

If Marrone Had The Ensley Center...

interesting to look at rushing yards per defense stats

there are some really bad teams who are good in that stat. jacksonville didn't fare well there but it's not hurting them
Jacksonville is bad against the run because their DL is attacking to get to the QB.
They are very vulnerable against draw plays and get gashed at that them.
Their DL got an insane amount of sacks.
New England is terrible against the run as well.
Belichick’s idea is that teams aren’t good enough to beat them running the ball the whole game and he wants the opponent to run a lot and then get some stops on 3rd down.

Doubt it ever happens, but forget about the facilities, imagine how much easier it would be for him to recruit if he came back to SU after being a very successful NFL coach. It's a totally different sales pitch when you have demonstrated success at the highest level.

Doubt it ever happens, but forget about the facilities, imagine how much easier it would be for him to recruit if he came back to SU after being a very successful NFL coach. It's a totally different sales pitch when you have demonstrated success at the highest level.

Hmmm, I wonder...

WannDa0c.jpg

I said demonstrated success

Marrone:
6-10
9-7
1-1
10-6

Wannstedt:
7-9
9-7
9-7
7-9
4-12
4-12
11-5
11-5
9-7
10-6
1-8

You're right, Wannstedt has a MUCH longer track record of demonstrated success.

It was impossible in the sense that it would have eliminated the Dome as an indoor track facility.

That was always my understanding.

Or so the story goes...totally made a ton of sense too since track undoubtedly drives the bus. The SU brass at the time certainly were visionaries and forward thinkers as well.

and the money to pay assistants that is now available, is there any doubt in anyone's mind that Syracuse would be a top 20 team every year? No doubt in my mind.

So, Babers has the Ensley Center and the $$$. What should we reasonably expect?

As much as i love dino and didnt care for DM's crusty ways; I have to agree. Again, that last year recruiting was trending, the offense was hummin, we had 2 stud coordinators and DM, the CEO. We were ready to take off.

Or so the story goes...totally made a ton of sense too since track undoubtedly drives the bus. The SU brass at the time certainly were visionaries and forward thinkers as well.
I used to love taking my kids to the Big East track meet at the Dome. But I can live without it, I guess! (And the kids are now adults and we don't live in Syracuse anymore.)

I think the more interesting question is whether he would have stayed had he been given all of that.

I know that he was very - very - frustrated by the lack of movement on the infrastructure issue while he was here.

He is an impatient man - that's his nature. I have to believe that the facility issue caused him to think about leaving.

If he had been given the Ensley Center and improved training room facilities - something he really complained about - his ability to recruit would have been enhanced and that frustration - losing players he thought he would or should get - might have been satisfied as well.

So, he may have stayed.

I wonder.
I really don't wonder at all. He is an opportunist of the first order. He was never staying here.

"Opportunists are people who see a chance to gain some advantage from a situation, often at the expense of ethics or morals."

"An opportunist seizes every opportunity to improve things for himself."

a person who exploits circumstances to gain immediate advantage rather than being guided by consistent principles or plans.
"most burglaries are committed by casual opportunists"

"Opportunism is the conscious policy and practice of taking advantage of circumstances – with little regard for principles, or with what the consequences are for others."

Not a guy you want in your lifeboat IMO.

I really don't wonder at all. He is an opportunist of the first order. He was never staying here.

"Opportunists are people who see a chance to gain some advantage from a situation, often at the expense of ethics or morals."

"An opportunist seizes every opportunity to improve things for himself."

a person who exploits circumstances to gain immediate advantage rather than being guided by consistent principles or plans.
"most burglaries are committed by casual opportunists"

"Opportunism is the conscious policy and practice of taking advantage of circumstances – with little regard for principles, or with what the consequences are for others."

Not a guy you want in your lifeboat IMO.

I don't know the answer on a 100% basis.

But I'm pretty sure that your conclusion is an oversimplification of what occurred.

You completely missed my point. I was talking about Marrone coming back after having success as an NFl HC. Wannstedt never did and even w/o that, he was a good recruiter.
Marrone:
6-10
9-7
1-1
10-6

Wannstedt:
7-9
9-7
9-7
7-9
4-12
4-12
11-5
11-5
9-7
10-6
1-8

You're right, Wannstedt has a MUCH longer track record of demonstrated success.

You completely missed my point. I was talking about Marrone coming back after having success as an NFl HC. Wannstedt never did and even w/o that, he was a good recruiter.

I thought Wannstedt got screwed by Pitt.

He was gathering talent but had not yet gotten the QB the program needed.

The AD made a mistake dumping him and the program has never really recovered.

I thought that was a good example of how stability at the coaching level would have facilitated long term success.

I thought Wannstedt got screwed by Pitt.

He was gathering talent but had not yet gotten the QB the program needed.

The AD made a mistake dumping him and the program has never really recovered.

I thought that was a good example of how stability at the coaching level would have facilitated long term success.

Oh come on, it was fun watching them get a new coach every year, sometimes 2 in a year. Didn't that one guy only last about 18 days?

I can't believe Narduzzi has lasted this long.

Oh come on, it was fun watching them get a new coach every year, sometimes 2 in a year. Didn't that one guy only last about 18 days?

I remember when Todd Graham - at the end of his first year - asked for permission to talk to ASU; and the Pitt AD refused to give it.

I think a day or two later Graham signed with the Sun Devils.

I actually felt badly for Pitt.

And, I was quite pleased when Arizona State dumped Graham at the end of this past season.

Yeah, they've had a dozen coaches and yet we've got 2 wins against them in like 14 years. Doug won one and Dino won last year. Tells you something about the mess of a program we've had, i.e. Gerg and incompetent Shafer.

It was impossible in the sense that it would have eliminated the Dome as an indoor track facility.

That was always my understanding.

Used occasionally for Big East Championships and second home to the indoor track program that Jake starved for decades...yeah, that was the company line. A convenient excuse, but not a reason.

I know that there are legitimate reasons to criticize Gross, but he was good at identifying this kind of low-hanging fruit and fixing it in short order.

Used occasionally for Big East Championships and second home to the indoor track program that Jake starved for decades...yeah, that was the company line. A convenient excuse, but not a reason.

I know that there are legitimate reasons to criticize Gross, but he was good at identifying this kind of low-hanging fruit and fixing it in short order.

Agreed.

Dr. Gross saw immediately the football program's infrastructure issues and took action.

And, Chancellor Cantor allowed him to do it - and for that I am grateful to her.

The salvaging of the Robinson program in two years was remarkable.

In my opinion, he was a very good college coach - bordering on great.

We can agree to disagree here.

No coach in the last 4 has had a schedule like he did his second year. I don't think we really hit any kind of real success until year 4 when the offense finally clicked. A "very good coach" *in college* would have more recruiting wins. He's an NFL coach - his A+ scheming really benefits from players and coaches who are singularly focused. He doesn't have to recruit.

I appreciate what he did here. I do. I just characterize it with less halo.

No coach in the last 4 has had a schedule like he did his second year. I don't think we really hit any kind of real success until year 4 when the offense finally clicked. A "very good coach" *in college* would have more recruiting wins. He's an NFL coach - his A+ scheming really benefits from players and coaches who are singularly focused. He doesn't have to recruit.

The fact is that even his first year - regardless of the final won-loss record - there was a pronounced improvement in the team - with a QB who had not played football for five years.

I believed it at the time and I believe it now - Marrone was a great college football coach.

I don't think he was the recruiter Dino is and I think he is where he belongs now, but he was also farther behind with facilities and administrative support. That certainly had an effect on recruiting success. I like seeing him have success where he is and will probably keep an eye on Jacksonville as long as he's there, and I'm glad we have Dino now. I wish we could have had him immediately after DM left. That would have been ideal.

We should have never let Saban go, what a huge mistake.

Nick was our outside linebacker coach. I looked in our media guide to see who our outside linebacker coach was. We don't have one. it's amazing to me that Frank Maloney in 1977 had an outside linebacker coach and Dino Babers in 2017 did not have one.

Yeah I know Manish Mehta killing Marrone’s chances at the Jets job 3 years ago when he was there guy after leaving the Bills.
That guy has to be like what did I do.

i thought Bob Casullo killed it. ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseVegas

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom