If Marrone Had The Ensley Center... | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

If Marrone Had The Ensley Center...

Finishing the subject line:

... he’d have still left SU as soon as he got an NFL offer.

Doug is where he belongs.

When Doug was hired, Sean Payton said he was already on the short list for NFL jobs but wanted to come to Syracuse. we all know what Doug said when he got here. I recall that in his first couple of years he was almost bubbling over with enthusiasm about the job, excitedly describing every aspect of it. it was his first head coaching job but it was also at his alma mater.

Then came 2011. A shaky 5-2 start with one great performance vs. West Virginia followed by an 0-5 collapse. There were disciplinary problems and stories of locker room fights. As OrangePA later observed, his demeanor changed that year. He became sullen and uncommunicative. He used "That's on me I've got to do a better job" as a mantra, saying it so many times that I started abbreviating it as TOMIGODABJ. I think he decided he wanted back into the NFL at that point. He need a successful season as a launching point and when we went 8-5 and crushed West Virginia in the pinstripe bowl the next year, he drew interest from the Bills and suddenly was being announced as their head coach without any prior indication that he was leaving and no parting words for the SU fans that had believed he was going to be an SU lifer.

He was probably also discouraged by the slowness of facility upgrades but I think it was specific events in the 2011 season that changed him. I don't believe that he initially saw SU as a stepping stone job at all. He could remained with new Orleans until an NFL job opened and gotten one sooner.

When Doug was hired, Sean Payton said he was already on the short list for NFL jobs but wanted to come to Syracuse. we all know what Doug said when he got here. I recall that in his first couple of years he was almost bubbling over with enthusiasm about the job, excitedly describing every aspect of it. it was his first head coaching job but it was also at his alma mater.

Then came 2011. A shaky 5-2 start with one great performance vs. West Virginia followed by an 0-5 collapse. There were disciplinary problems and stories of locker room fights. As OrangePA later observed, his demeanor changed that year. He became sullen and uncommunicative. He used "That's on me I've got to do a better job" as a mantra, saying it so many times that I started abbreviating it as TOMIGODABJ. I think he decided he wanted back into the NFL at that point. He need a successful season as a launching point and when we went 8-5 and crushed West Virginia in the pinstripe bowl the next year, he drew interest from the Bills and suddenly was being announced as their head coach without any prior indication that he was leaving and no parting words for the SU fans that had believed he was going to be an SU lifer.

He was probably also discouraged by the slowness of facility upgrades but I think it was specific events in the 2011 season that changed him. I don't believe that he initially saw SU as a stepping stone job at all. He could remained with new Orleans until an NFL job opened and gotten one sooner.

I think there is a lot of truth in this post.

we have been saying this for years--su itself --is responsible for the short sighted development---going back for decades-

there more truth in the last paragraph. he saw ad and administration as it was, all talk no action. the other issue was recruiting. he certainly seemed to dislike it. however if he had stayed and continued as he was doing, the administration delivered as promised we would have been back in the top 20 by now. recruiting would have become easier with a winning team.
i am truly biased towards marrone . like him or not he is a winner. i also prefer his offensive schemes, style and team management. then again, i am old school.

People just need to move on with Doug at Syracuse and how he left, the job wasn't what he hoped it would be and he took a better job. I think he enjoyed some aspects of it but he was offered a position at the top of his profession and he took it. He then made a HUGE mistake in the MANNER he left Buffalo, a mistake which he has admitted to, ( The manner in which he left) He then paid for it by having to be a position coach for a couple years, he seemed happier at that point. He is now back where he belongs, sure he appears to be miserable, cranky and hates the media. 99% of all NFL head coaches are, it's a damn meat grinder.

I don't hate or love Marrone, he's a hell of a football coach and don't care much about anything more. Doug has done what he felt is best for him and his family who wouldn't but he has paid the price for some of the decisions but he is certainly now where he belongs.

People just need to move on with Doug at Syracuse and how he left, the job wasn't what he hoped it would be and he took a better job. I think he enjoyed some aspects of it but he was offered a position at the top of his profession and he took it. He then made a HUGE mistake in the MANNER he left Buffalo, a mistake which he has admitted to, ( The manner in which he left) He then paid for it by having to be a position coach for a couple years, he seemed happier at that point. He is now back where he belongs, sure he appears to be miserable, cranky and hates the media. 99% of all NFL head coaches are, it's a damn meat grinder.

I don't hate or love Marrone, he's a hell of a football coach and don't care much about anything more. Doug has done what he felt is best for him and his family who wouldn't but he has paid the price for some of the decisions but he is certainly now where he belongs.

To me it wasn't that Doug left. I mean he took one of the few NFL jobs out there. Those are gold. Dick Mac did it himself. The problem was the succession. If they could have kept Nate Hackett along w Shafer, who knows how things would have turned out.

Guy is an NFL coach for sure. Just like Tom Coughlin leaving BC for Jax in 1993. Two very similar situations and now they are together in Jax.

He knew he was leaving that last year. I remember calling his show and talking to him about his long term prospects at SU and he was silent. After that call, I had a strong feeling he was leaving.

To me it wasn't that Doug left. I mean he took one of the few NFL jobs out there. Those are gold. Dick Mac did it himself. The problem was the succession. If they could have kept Nate Hackett along w Shafer, who knows how things would have turned out.

Guy is an NFL coach for sure. Just like Tom Coughlin leaving BC for Jax in 1993. Two very similar situations and now they are together in Jax.

I guess it's gold if you have success, but just ask Saban about how gold it is, or Pitino or Calapari vs. being at a place where you are practically a god...as well as having an abundance of coin. What Marrone accomplished here after GRob sent us deep into the abyss is nothing short of astonishing. I can only imagine the additional success he would've had, had the SU brass at the time be more forward thinkers relative to facilities, etc.

We can agree to disagree here.

No coach in the last 4 has had a schedule like he did his second year. I don't think we really hit any kind of real success until year 4 when the offense finally clicked. A "very good coach" *in college* would have more recruiting wins. He's an NFL coach - his A+ scheming really benefits from players and coaches who are singularly focused. He doesn't have to recruit.

I appreciate what he did here. I do. I just characterize it with less halo.
i will loan you one, as well as a set of glasses

we have been saying this for years--su itself --is responsible for the short sighted development---going back for decades-
It's always everyone else's fault when it comes to Marrone.

He would still be the coach of the Jags, and a darn good coach too. Some coaches are just better fits for the highest level and Coach M. is one of them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseVegas

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom