"If Notre Dame beats Miami Syracuse will be playing for the national championship" | Syracusefan.com

"If Notre Dame beats Miami Syracuse will be playing for the national championship"

Orangeyes

R.I.P Dan
Those were the words of the Sugar Bowl representative after Syracuse pulled off a come-from-behind 32-31 win over West Virginia in what IMHO was the greatest game ever played at the Carrier Dome. That rep had to sweat out two straight SU comebacks. You might recall SU went down 17-0 to the so-so Boston College Eagles in the game before West Virginia. The Orangemen then tallied 45 straight points to set up the final game.

If you have those tapes available, they make for great viewing. It's almost as if you are looking into a crystal ball as you know what becomes of each individual. There is plenty of tragedy and plenty of joy.

Pat Kelly is the saddest story. This strapping tight end from Rochester was asked during the week leading up to the game what was his greatest moment at Syracuse. He answered, "It hasn't happened yet." Perhaps that touchdown catch with 15 seconds left to close the gap to 31-30 was that moment. Donnie McPherson put just the right touch on the throw down the middle and Kelly reached out and kept his concentration right into the end zone. That set up the Michael Owens 2 point conversion which sent this town into a tizzy.

Kelly would later develop a brain tumor and die at the too young age of 37. Pat may have been one of the brightest football players, next to Tim Green, to ever wear Orange. Remarkably Kelly's NFL career consisted of 44 games with the Jets & Broncos for whom he played in a Super Bowl.

I know this has been posted before, but I just watched it last night (for the 50th time) and now with this post, it's appropriate.

I know this has been posted before, but I just watched it last night (for the 50th time) and now with this post, it's appropriate.

Man, I got chills watching that. Thanks for posting!

"for whom he played in a Super Bowl."

What would you give to have that said about you?

Those were the words of the Sugar Bowl representative after Syracuse pulled off a come-from-behind 32-31 win over West Virginia in what IMHO was the greatest game ever played at the Carrier Dome. That rep had to sweat out two straight SU comebacks. You might recall SU went down 17-0 to the so-so Boston College Eagles in the game before West Virginia. The Orangemen then tallied 45 straight points to set up the final game.

If you have those tapes available, they make for great viewing. It's almost as if you are looking into a crystal ball as you know what becomes of each individual. There is plenty of tragedy and plenty of joy.

Pat Kelly is the saddest story. This strapping tight end from Rochester was asked during the week leading up to the game what was his greatest moment at Syracuse. He answered, "It hasn't happened yet." Perhaps that touchdown catch with 15 seconds left to close the gap to 31-30 was that moment. Donnie McPherson put just the right touch on the throw down the middle and Kelly reached out and kept his concentration right into the end zone. That set up the Michael Owens 2 point conversion which sent this town into a tizzy.

Kelly would later develop a brain tumor and die at the too young age of 37. Pat may have been one of the brightest football players, next to Tim Green, to ever wear Orange. Remarkably Kelly's NFL career consisted of 44 games with the Jets & Broncos for whom he played in a Super Bowl.
My wife and I were there for that game. To say it was incredible doesn't begin to serve the feeling or experience My two son's were in zBinghamton with relatives.We drove down after the game picked them up and continued on to NJ. Even my young boys were jacked and stayed awake for the whole trip. I've never heard the Dome as loud as that night. It was more than incredible.Coach Mac proceeded o to blow the Sugar bowl game and blamed it on Pat Dye.. I was there for that and recall the moment that that predicted the outcome would be a tie.:confused::mad: