If Sean Miller isn’t on an FBI wiretap ESPN needs to be punished big time. | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

If Sean Miller isn’t on an FBI wiretap ESPN needs to be punished big time.

not amused

111118021649-bernie-fine-horizontal-large-gallery.jpg

I guess I'll go the other way. Considering we had to sit guys for way way less...if the tape comes out and is true, Arizona should have to shut down their program. Legit.

ESPN issued a correction to the story, moving the call back to (I think) spring of 2016. The correction came out shortly after the initial report.
FBI didn't start their wiretap until 2017.

Seems like it took almost a week to deny this. Why?

The truth should be easy to talk about.
Probably because ESPN was giving out second hand information. They don't have a copy of the FBI report and I doubt anyone has anymore than leaks of information.

Welcome to Millergate, 2018 where the atmosphere is so thick you can cut it with a knife.

Speaking of knives, who's going to stab who in the back??? Question of the hour...

:bat:

ESPN owes Miller a massive correction of the record. I mean on SportsCenter at 11pm, the following AM SportsCenter and 6pm.

They are wrong it appears.

There are reasons that libel laws are so tough. And they are all good. Mistakes in the pursuit of truth are going to happen. However, the careers of the people involved are not going to be so protected. To only go with one source, if that is true, is disgraceful and unacceptable. I fear that ESPN was beat on the Paterno story and they came up with Fine. They were beaten on the FBI story by Yahoo and they came up with Miller. Maybe they can come up with a outside the lines story about it.
The libel laws were formed when the journalists' Creed was to be right, rather than be first. Mistakes were made in good faith.

Now it a rush to be first, truth be damned, you can't successfully sue me because you are a public figure.

You have to consider a few things:

1) Sean Miller is risking absolutely nothing by making this public statement. His reputation and career is already ruined if this report is true. And he's not breaking any laws by Denying it outside a courtroom...

2) The University of Arizona is the one in a tough spot. They may not know exactly what is or is not on tape. They have two choices: Fire Miller or keep him. There is tremendous risk in both.

3). The FBI is not going to release or leak that tape as its likely key evidence on their case involving Book Richardson

4). I would hope ESPN has triple sourced this report. If not and they are wrong...hoo boy...
There is no risk to keeping Miller now. There is no such thing as an ineligible coach, at least until a Show Cause is issued.

I'm glad Emmert said that he hopes the NCAA has a better understanding of the eligibility for current players affected by the FBI investigation by selection Sunday

tenor.gif

UA is very confident here. I’d guess Books lawyers reached out...

There is no risk to keeping Miller now. There is no such thing as an ineligible coach, at least until a Show Cause is issued.
Oh I disagree. If they’re wrong that whole admin will go...

Means zilch. They fire him, it's an admission of guilt. Book is looking at fed time and he was Miller's right hand man for over a decade. There's no way he acted on his own.
this is where I am. I think Jake's post up thread is spot on. I have no love or respect for ESPN, but right now it is Miller's word against Schlabach. Any wiretap recording is under seal and Arizona knows that. They are thinking that they have a shot at winning it all and that championships are forever, even if they are later vacated (ask Louisville if they wish they had bowed out rather than winning then vacating their title). If Miller knows he's gone forever if he's on the wiretap, then this is his last hurrah.

What I can't get past is that Miller's assistant is currently indicted and facing trial. I simply refuse to believe that Book Richardson acted as a rogue coach all that time and Miller had absolutely zero idea. Miller should already be fired if UA had a shred of dignity and respect - it is a dirty program. It just isn't much of a leap to believe that there is evidence of wrongdoing by Miller somewhere out there. I also doubt Book would refuse to roll on Miller if it meant avoiding jail, and Miller would know this.

I guess we'll see eventually, but Miller's denials mean very little to me.

this is where I am. I think Jake's post up thread is spot on. I have no love or respect for ESPN, but right now it is Miller's word against Schlabach. Any wiretap recording is under seal and Arizona knows that. They are thinking that they have a shot at winning it all and that championships are forever, even if they are later vacated (ask Louisville if they wish they had bowed out rather than winning then vacating their title). If Miller knows he's gone forever if he's on the wiretap, then this is his last hurrah.

What I can't get past is that Miller's assistant is currently indicted and facing trial. I simply refuse to believe that Book Richardson acted as a rogue coach all that time and Miller had absolutely zero idea. Miller should already be fired if UA had a shred of dignity and respect - it is a dirty program. It just isn't much of a leap to believe that there is evidence of wrongdoing by Miller somewhere out there. I also doubt Book would refuse to roll on Miller if it meant avoiding jail, and Miller would know this.

I may be wrong here but isn't it Miller's word versus Schlabach's sources' word? Since the tape is under seal I assume Schlabach has no way to verify what Miller said on tape. He's going by his source. That seems like a risky move by ESPN/Schlabach.

I may be wrong here but isn't it Miller's word versus Schlabach's sources' word? Since the tape is under seal I assume Schlabach has no way to verify what Miller said on tape. He's going by his source. That seems like a risky move by ESPN/Schlabach.
yes, you're right - I'm guilty of not being quite precise enough.

Why? They are standing by their reporting as of now. What are you basing they are being wrong on? All we have is Millers word right now.
All ESPN has is their reporters word. They haven't heard the tape. They don't have the tape. They don't have a FBI agent on record saying they have a tape or have heard a tape. Right now, the benefit of the doubt has to be given to Miller. ESPN has showed nothing.

We only have ESPN's word that there is a tape under seal. The FBI hasn't said that. Only ESPN.

The timeline goes against what ESPN has said. It can't involve Ayton because he had already committed to Arizona 5 months ahead of when the FBI wiretap started.
Starting to look like ESPN may be up to their ears in crap.

Now we know the answer to “How stupid can you be!?!” Thanks for playing ESPN, what a clown car operation.

The fact that Zona's board of trustees is allowing him to coach leads me to believe the ESPN report is a farce. If Zona had any inkling that the report was legit, theres no doubt they would suspend/fire Miller immediately.

Zona's move is puzzling. I think they got scared. They should have moved more cautiously on Saturday and not jumped to sideline Miller. They can't possibly now know that Miller isn't on tape ordering a payment to someone. It's next to impossible to prove until the FBI releases the tapes.

Also seems like they've winged Miller at this point. How can he recover on the recruiting trail? Well aside from that way. Everyone he recruits against is going to be telling the kids that he won't be there when the dust settles.

Zona's move is puzzling. I think they got scared. They should have moved more cautiously on Saturday and not jumped to sideline Miller. They can't possibly now know that Miller isn't on tape ordering a payment to someone. It's next to impossible to prove until the FBI releases the tapes.

Also seems like they've winged Miller at this point. How can he recover on the recruiting trail? Well aside from that way. Everyone he recruits against is going to be telling the kids that he won't be there when the dust settles.
What struck me at the start of this is that Miller didn't come out and claim I didn't do it. He waited until the ESPN story weakened.

All ESPN has is their reporters word. They haven't heard the tape. They don't have the tape. They don't have a FBI agent on record saying they have a tape or have heard a tape. Right now, the benefit of the doubt has to be given to Miller. ESPN has showed nothing.

What’s your point? I’m not saying ESPN is right nor never said that in a post. I was responding to a post that said “ESPN owes Miller a massive correction of the record” ...which is asinine.