If Sean Miller isn’t on an FBI wiretap ESPN needs to be punished big time. | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

If Sean Miller isn’t on an FBI wiretap ESPN needs to be punished big time.

What struck me at the start of this is that Miller didn't come out and claim I didn't do it. He waited until the ESPN story weakened.

Is it possible that the AD and President ordered him to shut his mouth until more was found out? They pulled him for damage control which I understand. Now it is looking like a debacle and a inexcusable manuever from ESPN. Looks like Miller will be fine now. I thought it was handled well, frankly.

ESPN owes Miller a massive correction of the record. I mean on SportsCenter at 11pm, the following AM SportsCenter and 6pm.

They are wrong it appears.

So you dont seem to be a fan of jumping to conclusions but then you jump to a conclusion. Interesting take i must say.

this is where I am. I think Jake's post up thread is spot on. I have no love or respect for ESPN, but right now it is Miller's word against Schlabach. Any wiretap recording is under seal and Arizona knows that. They are thinking that they have a shot at winning it all and that championships are forever, even if they are later vacated (ask Louisville if they wish they had bowed out rather than winning then vacating their title). If Miller knows he's gone forever if he's on the wiretap, then this is his last hurrah.

What I can't get past is that Miller's assistant is currently indicted and facing trial. I simply refuse to believe that Book Richardson acted as a rogue coach all that time and Miller had absolutely zero idea. Miller should already be fired if UA had a shred of dignity and respect - it is a dirty program. It just isn't much of a leap to believe that there is evidence of wrongdoing by Miller somewhere out there. I also doubt Book would refuse to roll on Miller if it meant avoiding jail, and Miller would know this.

I guess we'll see eventually, but Miller's denials mean very little to me.

Thank god theres at least one smart person on this board.

Is it possible that the AD and President ordered him to shut his mouth until more was found out? They pulled him for damage control which I understand. Now it is looking like a debacle and a inexcusable manuever from ESPN. Looks like Miller will be fine now. I thought it was handled well, frankly.
I have been involved in a couple of corporate matters that got a lot of press. I swear, our lawyers made us look guilty. And we weren't. But at the end of the day, we were cleared of any wrong doing.

What’s your point? I’m not saying ESPN is right nor never said that in a post. I was responding to a post that said “ESPN owes Miller a massive correction of the record” ...which is asinine.
I wasn't being critical of you. I don't think we know what the hell the truth is. Would it surprise me if Miller did exactly what ESPN accused him of? No. Would it surprise me if ESPN got this story completely wrong? No

my guess on how this plays our—there is a tape and miller is on it. The tape discusses making a payment to a recruit of $100k but its not ayton. This player did not end up at arizona. What was said on the tape by miller is ambiguous. Millers spin will be he stopped recruiting the player after further thinking over the conversation and that he was only playing nice.

Now, here is WHY i believe this. Miller went out of his way to say that he was approached one time to discuss a payment. Why even mention that? That is purely gratuitous. Its because him and his lawyers will spin what was said.

Heres another reason i say this — miller isnt dumb. He wouldnt talk so openly about something like that over a phone to some buffon like dawkins. Miller has too much to lose. Thats why when the tape comes out, it will be difficult to tell what exactly the parties are saying, because miller isnt dumb.

For those who think miller is clean, get out of here. First book is his right hand man. Now, we have miller admitting he talks to dawkins, who we know is dirty. Why is he talking to an agent runner? Too much smoke.

I have been involved in a couple of corporate matters that got a lot of press. I swear, our lawyers made us look guilty. And we weren't. But at the end of the day, we were cleared of any wrong doing.

So thats what oj was doing in the bronco during the low speed chase...

Nice to finally meet you OJ? How is the search for the "real killer" going?

Oh I disagree. If they’re wrong that whole admin will go...
I meant from a bball perspective. If the tape exists, UA has to clean house anyway. If it doesn't, they might survive.

I remember buying drugs on the phone as a teenager and doing it without saying anything that would be incriminating.

Miller is a professional cheater. If a kid who barely graduated high school knows what to say and what not to say when participating in illegal activities, he certainly knows what he can say. There probably was a phone call and ESPN has some details wrong. Miller likely did have a conversation but spoke smartly.

No way he's clean and I hope he gets nailed. A lot of that probably stems from being a SU fan who feels spited by the system. I want heads to roll; if we get crushed for petty bs, these guys deserve the worst.

For all anyone knows, he may have been telling somebody he likes 100 Grand candy bars.

this is where I am. I think Jake's post up thread is spot on. I have no love or respect for ESPN, but right now it is Miller's word against Schlabach. Any wiretap recording is under seal and Arizona knows that. They are thinking that they have a shot at winning it all and that championships are forever, even if they are later vacated (ask Louisville if they wish they had bowed out rather than winning then vacating their title). If Miller knows he's gone forever if he's on the wiretap, then this is his last hurrah.

What I can't get past is that Miller's assistant is currently indicted and facing trial. I simply refuse to believe that Book Richardson acted as a rogue coach all that time and Miller had absolutely zero idea. Miller should already be fired if UA had a shred of dignity and respect - it is a dirty program. It just isn't much of a leap to believe that there is evidence of wrongdoing by Miller somewhere out there. I also doubt Book would refuse to roll on Miller if it meant avoiding jail, and Miller would know this.

I guess we'll see eventually, but Miller's denials mean very little to me.
Just curious - did you believe ESPN on the Bernie story? On JB saying he didn't know? Every school should deny everything on every issue. There is no win in a mea culpa that says we sinned. We proved that.

my guess on how this plays our—there is a tape and miller is on it. The tape discusses making a payment to a recruit of $100k but its not ayton. This player did not end up at arizona. What was said on the tape by miller is ambiguous. Millers spin will be he stopped recruiting the player after further thinking over the conversation and that he was only playing nice.

Now, here is WHY i believe this. Miller went out of his way to say that he was approached one time to discuss a payment. Why even mention that? That is purely gratuitous. Its because him and his lawyers will spin what was said.

Heres another reason i say this — miller isnt dumb. He wouldnt talk so openly about something like that over a phone to some buffon like dawkins. Miller has too much to lose. Thats why when the tape comes out, it will be difficult to tell what exactly the parties are saying, because miller isnt dumb.

For those who think miller is clean, get out of here. First book is his right hand man. Now, we have miller admitting he talks to dawkins, who we know is dirty. Why is he talking to an agent runner? Too much smoke.
That seems spot on. Well done.

I think this is plausible. I also wonder why Miller said some of the things he said. Really good recap of timeline here.

Updated timeline: How FBI's wiretaps and investigation threatened to topple the Arizona Wildcats basketball program

I found it interesting that he expressly stated he never cheated...at Arizona.

If the tape is part of an ongoing criminal investigation/indictment the only non-FBI person they'd consider giving access to is Book's lawyer. Maybe he's the source ;)

If the tape is part of an ongoing criminal investigation/indictment the only non-FBI person they'd consider giving access to is Book's lawyer. Maybe he's the source ;)
Consider? It’s a required disclosure to a defendant. I do think Dawkins lawyer is espns source and I’d guess that books is Arizona’s

Last edited: