If Tulsa fires Phil Montgomery | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

If Tulsa fires Phil Montgomery

Yeah, he does. that’s why it would make sense. Montgomery doesn't run the wishbone

We’ll agree to disagree. It goes beyond whether the guy runs something similar to you or not. Montgomery knows what he’s doing, Dino likes to mold guys to his thought process. There’s nothing wrong with that but it’s adding a guy that has a set way of calling plays and operating the offense. Running a similar playbook is one facet of that but not the whole thing. Dino isn’t going to want to give up that level of control IMO. Montgomery on the flip side would be in the same situation, he has his way of doing things and isn’t going to want to go from being a HC with a system to running some other guys stuff.

We’ll see though, regardless of whether Montgomery even figures into the conversation what happens on the offensive side anywhere will be interesting.

As we all know dino is very thin skinned, I don't see him hiring someone who he coached under at baylor to come fix his offense, especially if this season goes off the rails, even if we go to a bowl and he makes lynch and scott CO OCs I just don't see babes hiring the baylor OC when dino is always trying to say how different his offense is from baylor and the only similarity is speed. This is a move that makes sense but one I don't think dino makes.

Any coach brought in needs to be good recruiter. We need To bring in ACC level talent. We should be farther ahead with depth in year four. Some of this staff is not getting it done on the recruiting front.
This. This. THIS. The scheme matters little if you don’t have talent. We need to get rid of the Mickey Mouse gmacs on the staff and shell out for swag daddies. Don’t have a choice.

Let’s bring in George DeLeone to open up the Connecticut recruiting windows again.

Dino has his squad. It’s on him to fix not Phil Montgomery

Didn't realize that, but Dino's actions speak as well. Hiring son-in-law's father as qb coach? High school coach to P5 qb coach? Just don't buy it...

Reminds me of my "WHO IS JOE ADAM!" rants...

i get what youre saying but isnt dino from art briles tree, the art briles who went from texas hs coach to p5 head coach? And, wasnt martin the hc of manvel hs, a legendary hs program? Its not a huge stretch. The issue more so is does he help on the recruiting trail?

Let’s bring in George DeLeone to open up the Connecticut recruiting windows again.

Dino has his squad. It’s on him to fix not Phil Montgomery

So he’s not allowed to fix it via staffing changes if upgrades are available? That would be a bold move by Wildhack. Unprecedented I’d even say.

An interesting evolution for the football program is if Wildhack convinces Dino and funds positions for Dino to have a braintrust element not just a posse of coaches. Montgomery would be great directionally.

I believe the money is there to hire assistants that command market rate salaries. Given the way the season is deteriorating, I suspect we’ll need to put that to the test.

This would be something I could get behind. I don't see how Dino will fire Lynch who has been by his side the entire time. Dino preaches family and all that stuff I just don't see how he fires someone who has been so loyal to him over the years.

he better figure how to hire better coaches and fire bad ones regardless of his status with them pretty quick. If not he will pile up the loses and his career as a head coach at a P5 school will be over and he won’t get a second chance.

We badly need 1 - 2 high profile recruiters. 1 really expensive one at least. Getting some of the players we've targeted in the past will hide some of the deficiencies there are in other areas of coaching.

i get what youre saying but isnt dino from art briles tree, the art briles who went from texas hs coach to p5 head coach? And, wasnt martin the hc of manvel hs, a legendary hs program? Its not a huge stretch. The issue more so is does he help on the recruiting trail?

FSUs OL coach also went from a Texas HS to Houston before Briles hired him. I think it’s more common in the south and Texas.

1. Find a tough, young O line coach from a smaller, successful program.
2. Bring back Dave Boll.
3. Make Nick Monroe, along with the new position coach, responsible for recruiting offensive linemen.
4. Get a proven football S+C expert to review our program. We all love Wolverine but something is not right in our O line development.

I believe the money is there to hire assistants that command market rate salaries. Given the way the season is deteriorating, I suspect we’ll need to put that to the test.
If there isn't (money)...we should then just join UConn in the Big East and tear down the Dome.

With the renovation SU is making a Statement they are trying to stay with the Big Boys.

I think SU can afford a few veteran grad assistants like what the Big Boys do.

i get what youre saying but isnt dino from art briles tree, the art briles who went from texas hs coach to p5 head coach?

Not quite. He was the Art Briles who went from Texas HS coach to P5 head coach to Texas HS coach.

Bring him in as OC/QB coach. Tulsa is struggling and they have many of the same issues but my thoughts are that Dino and him could figure out the next rev of their offense.

Dino is a great guy at the top of the program but maybe he needs to find somebody to delegate more of the offense to.

And go hire the best up and coming OL coach.
marrone would be excellent ol coach;)

Macky is RB coach with Lewis at KSU. I presume he's still too green to come be OL coach?

He’s only ever talked about the players as a family.

He’ll make hard decisions on coaches if he needs to.
then he needs to coach the coaches. i think players need guidance that a head coach can help with, including leading by example and ensuring that the system provides the resources for the players to be successful academically. as far as the family stuff, i will just say it is overplayed imho

We badly need 1 - 2 high profile recruiters. 1 really expensive one at least. Getting some of the players we've targeted in the past will hide some of the deficiencies there are in other areas of coaching.
Didn't we very briefly have Beatty for a few days?

He might have been that other ace recruiter to match with Swag Daddy.

there are some play calling issues, but thats mostly because the oline makes calling the right play the wrong call so often..

2nd and 2 should not need to be runs but in this offense it leads to 3rd and 8 and then a punt..

we dont need a huge uptick in the oline, just get to a point where we fail like 50% of plays and not 75%.

Didn't we very briefly have Beatty for a few days?

He might have been that other ace recruiter to match with Swag Daddy.

Yeah, I can’t remember what happened though. That would have been a force I think.

This. This. THIS. The scheme matters little if you don’t have talent. We need to get rid of the Mickey Mouse gmacs on the staff and shell out for swag daddies. Don’t have a choice.
At a school
Like Syracuse, there has to be a balance. Short term, we could have have the best recruiters and we are not getting Clemson talent. So you have to recruit BETTER AND DEVELOP players. OL is the perfect example. Nearly all OL recruits need to nature and be coached up. They don’t just show up and look like stars...99% of the time.

Macky is RB coach with Lewis at KSU. I presume he's still too green to come be OL coach?
I've wondered...on the plus side his spin up would be really fast. Macky is a smart cookie. Nobody on the team was here when he played. He should have recruiting connections in Ohio and Western PA.

It might be worth a look at him.

I rather go for Addazio if he is let go. That fixes the OL and Northeast recruiting

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom