If Tulsa fires Phil Montgomery | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

If Tulsa fires Phil Montgomery

Average skill players will look above average with a good OL. Average skill players will look below average with a poor OL. (Not rocket science, I know.) Throw more efforts and resources at recruiting above average OL-men. The skill recruits will follow.

It does kind of seem now looking back that too much emphasis was put on skill position recruiting and not enough on the O Line when it came to HS recruits. Even our recent multi year transfers were all skill position guys.

Going really far out on that limb and assuming that somebody like Montgomery is hired as the new OC...

it wouldn’t just be a new OC, right? It would be several new coaches to implement the new OC’s plan.

That’s a lot of pink slips for coaches who have been part of Dino’s ‘family’ for several years.
That would be shocking.

Going really far out on that limb and assuming that somebody like Montgomery is hired as the new OC...

it wouldn’t just be a new OC, right? It would be several new coaches to implement the new OC’s plan.

That’s a lot of pink slips for coaches who have been part of Dino’s ‘family’ for several years.
That would be shocking.

its the same core offense

the premise isnt that Montgomery comes in to run his offense, it’s that they upgrade Dino’s system together based on what they have both seen in games and then self scouting that mutual system

Spending on the staff and a hire like this is what we need. Don’t see it happening though with Dome renos and everything.

its the same core offense

the premise isnt that Montgomery comes in to run his offense, it’s that they upgrade Dino’s system together based on what they have both seen in games and then self scouting that mutual system

This definitely makes sense if it’s someone who Dino has worked with in the past (like Phil Montgomery).
I guess we’ll see how this all shakes out.

If there's not credible quick game or run threat, 5 man protections with just average guys are going to be stressed and lose a lot of individual battles.
I think we missed the quick game boat this year bye a large margin. Hot reads are the thing and if everyone else can do it why not us.

That would be shocking.

They would have worked closely together for 4 years at Baylor (Dino had WR, Phil had QB/RB). So assuming they like each other and Montgomery had suggestions of who from his current staff should be cherry picked, I'm guessing Dino would listen.

The ties to his current coaches don't all go back that far, and keep in mind that someone like Martin could probably coach any position.

They would have worked closely together for 4 years at Baylor (Dino had WR, Phil had QB/RB). So assuming they like each other and Montgomery had suggestions of who from his current staff should be cherry picked, I'm guessing Dino would listen.

The ties to his current coaches don't all go back that far, and keep in mind that someone like Martin could probably coach any position.

My concern would be recruiting ties. Getting guys with backgrounds in Texas has done absolutely nothing for us recruiting wise so far. We need guys with ACC footprint and OH/MI ties that have existing relationships with players and can improve recruiting in the 2020 class.

My concern would be recruiting ties. Getting guys with backgrounds in Texas has done absolutely nothing for us recruiting wise so far. We need guys with ACC footprint and OH/MI ties that have existing relationships with players and can improve recruiting in the 2020 class.

Agree. A good position coach is a good position coach, but ones with ties to MD/DC, OH/MI, Florida, PA, Carolinas...that's going to help us a lot more than states west of the Mississippi.

1. Find a tough, young O line coach from a smaller, successful program.
2. Bring back Dave Boll.
3. Make Nick Monroe, along with the new position coach, responsible for recruiting offensive linemen.
4. Get a proven football S+C expert to review our program. We all love Wolverine but something is not right in our O line development.
The S&C comment is interesting. Intensity doesn't always translate to results

The S&C comment is interesting. Intensity doesn't always translate to results

I don't think that it is any physical shortcoming of our players (O-Line in particular - they are all HUGE) that is why they are struggling so badly.

When you compare the strength and speed #'s of our current roster, to what FHCSMFS used to field, we may not be as hardnosed, but we're demonstrably bigger, stronger, and faster by a large margin.

Wolverine is rolling out players with the physical tools to play football well.

So - it's some combo of scheme, mental, missed assignments, etc., rather than any physical issues.
And, that all falls on the coaches - Cavanaugh in particular for the O-Line.

I don't think that it is any physical shortcoming of our players (O-Line in particular - they are all HUGE) that is why they are struggling so badly.

When you compare the strength and speed #'s of our current roster, to what FHCSMFS used to field, we may not be as hardnosed, but we're demonstrably bigger, stronger, and faster by a large margin.

Wolverine is rolling out players with the physical tools to play football well.

So - it's some combo of scheme, mental, missed assignments, etc., rather than any physical issues.
And, that all falls on the coaches - Cavanaugh in particular for the O-Line.
Babers said a lot in his press conference without directly saying it - It's hard to evaluate monster high school kids blowing up normal high school kids - i think he thinks they swung and missed a bunch but won't say it of course

Some of the Adazzio stuff cracked me up. Never happening.

BCs line is good because the meathead mentality requires constant developement on the line. Similar ranked recruits, but that's their priority for time and assets. They also run more pro, traditional concepts and techniques.

Spread, tempo, rpo, allow for lesser developed linemen to play at the college level. Could never see Adazzio going for that.

It's not just a Cuse problem. Check the rest of the ACC olines. Finding ways to win is what college coaches do, with the time and assets they have.

BC chooses line for a priority. Because of the traditional approach, they get draft pics. Many NFL coaches say they have to teach college olinemen how to, ya know, play offensive line. Less focus on traditional basics. It's not a Cuse problem. It's an NCAA problem.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom