If we don’t make the tournament next yr, is Red gone? | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

If we don’t make the tournament next yr, is Red gone?

That’s not how it works. The other side of that equation is expenses. It’s not just revenue. Profits are king.
The basketball program is profitable. Very. But it helps fund all the other Olympic sports, and our football program hasn’t been pulling its weight relative to how much revenue it should bring in for what should be the highest revenue sport. Thankfully we have Fran moving and shaking now.

if as a coach you think that just becuz most of your starting production does not want to return to campus and play for you that warrants some kind of free pass ? nope . you got a problem. and you get 1 summer to figure it out . cuz it's gonna be the exact same tango next march. only worse if we achieve less. red best work his magic and get a competitive tourney team on the court next season or i got no issues with the boot. just business.
If that’s the standard, JB should have been gone about 4-5 years ago.

When you have 40+ years of success you get a leash, you don’t get that when you’ve never been a HC

you'll get no argument here for that and many reasons.. although i can't recall a voluntary mass exodus of starters like we've seen this season . but i suppose that is to be the new "normal ".

Cuffe was a Top 50 HS recruit who went to Kansas. Injuries derailed his career so far, but to say he's not a P5 talent is nonsense.
Cuffe wasn’t a top 50 player. Wasn’t even top 100. Most places had him 100-150.

Cuffe was a Top 50 HS recruit who went to Kansas. Injuries derailed his career so far, but to say he's not a P5 talent is nonsense.
Cuffe has some ability but his size really hurts him. I think the listing of 6'2 is very generous. I don't really see a way he becomes a real part of the rotation without some semblance of a handle because right now he's an extremely undersized 2 who shoots a middling percentage from 3 on low volume, flashes vertical athleticism but doesn't impact the game in any other regard.

When you have 40+ years of success you get a leash, you don’t get that when you’ve never been a HC
Not after year over year over year over year of regression. The powers to be goofed, and JB made SU pay with his best recruiting class ever. He lied to the fans to his lack of recruiting.

Not after year over year over year over year of regression. The powers to be goofed, and JB made SU pay with his best recruiting class ever. He lied to the fans to his lack of recruiting.
Most savvy fans knew JB was full of BS when stated the 2022 class was the best ever. He was spewing pure propaganda.

That regression ended with 3 tournaments in his last 5 years. I’m not saying the results were acceptable but let’s stop pretending like the team was even half as bad as this years team was. They always competed, always put in their all and always TRIED to win. He never had a team that openly quit on him. Was this team more talented than last year? Yup. But was this years team BETTER? Sadly not.

Again, im not saying what he did his last 5 years was great, but he had the leash, red doesn’t get that unfortunately. He has to win, and he has to win fast.

Last edited:
Rivals = 78. ESPN = 76
Incorrect. You’re confusing his grading with his ranking. He was 111th ranked player by Rivals. He did not appear in the ESPN top 100 player rankings.

We are a projected top 10 team.
He has to make it.

Incorrect. You’re confusing his grading with his ranking. He was 111th ranked player by Rivals. He did not appear in the ESPN top 100 player rankings.

I know to read.

Screenshot 2024-04-07 at 12.08.31 AM.jpg

Red is a continuity hire. But the question around Red is will be be a continuation of JB’s last half dozen years, or will he get the program back to the level it was during JB’s prime years? He stated he wants to return the program back to its prior standards, so until he does that there will be fans that criticize him.
If we went outside we’d have more specific data to judge his progress. Red being a first year coach, we’re still trying to guess what his plan is. And apparently this unknown variable is enough to buy him a little time.

The basketball program is profitable. Very. But it helps fund all the other Olympic sports
This is why 99% NIL should be focused on football and hoops. Full stop.

1. You stated he was “Top 50”
2. All of this stuff is easy to research. He was 111 in Rivals (listed as “new” so he never appeared higher)
3. The headlines you are reading do not appear correct if you cross reference the 2021 recruit rankings. Again he was 111 in Rivals. That’s the source, not a botched headline from a newspaper
4. I really don’t know what to tell you if you are stuck believing Cuffe was top 50 in the class of 2021
5. I actually wish Cuffe was ranked where you said he was because I would have hope he’d be able to be a significant contributor to SU basketball

IMG_0043.jpeg

Last edited:
as of 4/2/24... we are not in a good situation . next season will tell us what kind of D1 coach red autry is.
Is this a knock on Red, SU, culture, the system, or something else?

Personally, I think Red is going to get a much longer leash than many want in this thread. He will be given every opportunity to be successful here IMO, minimum of 4 years. I think this season was a decent start obviously not a great one, had it’s ups and down but the sooner he has a roster of kids that have no memory or experience of playing for JB he will be better off as a coach as will the program. anyone posting that Red’s first season was some type of abject failure has an axe to grind or an agenda There is a ton of work to do but I think Red will continue to get better and get the roster settled down as he continues to recruit kids out of HS.

dino got a ridiculous amount of time and he wasn’t a Syracuse alumni.

Last edited:
1. You stated he was “Top 50”
2. All of this stuff is easy to research. He was 111 in Rivals (listed as “new” so he never appeared higher)
3. The headlines you are reading do not appear correct if you cross reference the 2021 recruit rankings. Again he was 111 in Rivals. That’s the source, not a botched headline from a newspaper
4. I really don’t know what to tell you if you are stuck believing Cuffe was top 50 in the class of 2021
5. I actually wish Cuffe was ranked where you said he was because I would have hope he’d be able to be a significant contributor to SU basketball

View attachment 239677

Two out of 3 ratings I saw were in the 70s, not the 150s. Kids ranked 150 don't get scholarships to go to Kansas.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom