If we don’t make the tournament next yr, is Red gone? | Syracusefan.com

If we don’t make the tournament next yr, is Red gone?

Cuse_NYC

Starter
Losing Maliq is a huge blow. If we lose Judah, there isn’t much left. It’s not like we have our pickings of the top transfers. I realize with NIL, it’s not easy for coaches, but you have to retain key pieces. I would say he should go if another year of no tourney. And this time, a national search would have to take place.

3 years. If he goes 0 for 3 then I see Wildhack going External and bringing in someone from outside the su family. The fact that he won 20 games this year starts the bar at 20 wins. Need to keep showing improvement, so 21+ wins next year with a shot at the tourney needs to happen.

Losing Maliq is a huge blow. If we lose Judah, there isn’t much left. It’s not like we have our pickings of the top transfers. I realize with NIL, it’s not easy for coaches, but you have to retain key pieces. I would say he should go if another year of no tourney. And this time, a national search would have to take place.
its really weird bc if you just look at stats...losing players like brown, judah and quadir really sucks

but none of them really fit with the style of play that is successful and shared by the sweet 16 teams

need a PG

Need a post scorer

need an efficient all around small forward that can shoot

already have a 5 star PF coming in

IF those needs arent addressed in the portal - then yes...it should be Red's time to go

If they are...the team will be better next season despite losing some great individuals

basketball is a team sport...remember...look at UVA

their roster sucks...but they made the tourney and won a bunch of games this season

3 years. If he goes 0 for 3 then I see Wildhack going External and bringing in someone from outside the su family. The fact that he won 20 games this year starts the bar at 20 wins. Need to keep showing improvement, so 21+ wins next year with a shot at the tourney needs to happen.
Yeah but, this offseason is starting to look scary

Yeah but, this offseason is starting to look scary
True. But we are in a spot right now of potential. Potentially, Red could bring in some studs from the portal and we will have a much better team next year. Or, we Potentially go out there and bring in some more Cuffes and McLeods...then we will be screwed. With Brown now gone what Red does with the portal will make or break next season.

True. But we are in a spot right now of potential. Potentially, Red could bring in some studs from the portal and we will have a much better team next year. Or, we Potentially go out there and bring in some more Cuffes and McLeods...then we will be screwed. With Brown now gone what Red does with the portal will make or break next season.
Fine with McLeod as the backup center. I don’t understand why people are fine with Cuffe. He isn’t a power 5 role guy. I mean I’ll give Red a shot, but this Maliq departure leaves me pessimistic…

I don't even know what the right strategy is for a coach these days. You would think that bringing in just below NBA level talents and giving them lots of playing time would be a great strategy, but that's exactly what Edwards, Girard, Guerrier, and Brown were and they all left anyways. UCONN and Purdue are impressive that they were able to hold on to talent for a couple of years in a row, but it wouldn't shock me to see them stink in a few years.
Red seems like he could be a good floor coach and I'll give him credit for pulling in the transfers that he found when JB retired, but this new environment of NIL and transferring is so different than before so I'm not even sure what I want Red's strategy to be. I guess it's just bring in an entirely new class of freshman and transfers each year and we won't know who those transfers will be until April or May before the season starts. There seems to be a whole lot of luck involved in creating a successful program.

Also, the thing thats kind of working against Red right now is the Fran Brown hire and what that has happened to that division/hype he is creating for the fanbase. Now we have to see the results on the field but JW wants the same reaction with the basketball team.

I’m not freaking out though. Yes Maliq portaling, I legit thought it was an April Fools joke but we have ALOT of time and names to be added to the portal. The staff has every opportunity to build back the squad.

Fine with McLeod as the backup center. I don’t understand why people are fine with Cuffe. He isn’t a power 5 role guy. I mean I’ll give Red a shot, but this Maliq departure leaves me pessimistic…
I agree, McLeod is a decent backup 5 with his size for 10 min a game. Cuffe is just a depth piece 9th or 10th man in the rotation. What I mean is we need to bring in high quality starters, and not bring in more bench and depth portal adds like we did last year with cuffe and McLeod. We need to bring in 4 legit portal adds or we will be in trouble next year...

Stop. Barring a Stallings like job done, he is here for a while. And as far as the off season looking scary, why don't we wait and see who else is going in the portal and who we get before we get scared.
If next yr’s team doesn’t look as good on paper as this yr’s, why can’t we be unhappy and want someone who can retain players and make the tourney? And we would all be shocked if we get stud transfers

Whatever the answer is, the excuse of needing time to develop your own players is no longer valid.
The reality is that every high-major team should expect drastic turnover year-to-year, whether from graduation, transfers, or dismissals.

A year where a P6 team returns more than 50% of its nucleus should be deemed a black swan event.

i would normally say NO WAY but everything is season to season now so why not?

if someone shows interest in coaching SU (a Pitino fix-it type) and they are available i'd can Red if it means immediate success. Not sure what that guy is.

The loyalty aspect of college sports is gone so anyone using that argument is bananaland. It's a business and not even an amateur one.

So if we're sub 500 next year sure.

Who knows, maybe Malik is just testing the waters to see what he might be worth. Could be what he has been offered at SU makes him think he should get more.

When you hire an assistant coach as a head coach, you have to be prepared to give him time to develop his coaching style and team, especially in the portal era. It seems like the success model in today's college basketball is have a base of HS recruits and then add portal guys so we have to see how it goes this offseason. And, Red needs to replace GMac with a stud recruiter. In my opinion, Red's first year was successful as he won 20 games. It wouldn't surprise me if the team takes a step back next year.

You’re way over top dude ! You have no idea what this team will look like until the portal period is over. Make judgement then

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom