If we don't sign Nate | Syracusefan.com

If we don't sign Nate

JazzNC

Starter
If Nate Roberts chooses Washington or Nebraska over SU, there are a number of high level recruits still available, and players who decomitted.

Would we close out the class with Bazely, Carey and Buddy?

Who else might we pursue? I posted in the Shittu thread that I thought we should reach back out to him. But with a top 10 class and one open scholarship, we could go for broke, and try to reel in another blue chip player. There's nothing to lose at this point. Ideas, thoughts?

Last edited:
Euros or fifth year transfers.

But a big is a luxury, not an imperative, given the current roster composition. It helps if you have faith in Sidibe's potential.

But with blue chips out there, why? What's the rationale there? This thread is not a knock on Sidibe at all. I'm not locked in on a big. But there is some elite talent still on the table. Seems foolish not to try?

We have a different recruiting angle than earlier. We have a top 10 class. Other schools are reeling with the scandal. What have we got to lose? If we swing and miss we still have a top 10 class. The strength of this class is a sales pitch by itself.

But with blue chips out there, why? What's the rationale there? This thread is not a knock on Sidibe at all. I'm not locked in on a big. But there is some elite talent still on the table. Seems foolish not to try?

What blue chips?

Recruiting is about relationship cultivation, we don't just go out and grab guys just because we're the 'Cuse.

What blue chips?

Recruiting is about relationship cultivation, we don't just go out and grab guys just because we're the 'Cuse.

I understand that recruiting is about cultivating relationships. But other teams have swept in last minute and stolen recruits from us. What do we have to lose?

I think we go back to Carrigan. He probably won't qualify and I doubt we get him, but we do have a existing relationship with him so he checks that box.

Do you think the importance of an existing relationship is lessened with the strength of this class? Sometimes these 4 and 5 star guys wait to see where the chips start falling. Guys that might not have considered SU might now with the chance to play together and win a championship.

Please don't get me wrong, no matter how this plays out, I'm ecstatic with this class. I'm just kind of thinking that maybe we have a chance to do something unprecedented? My Orange blood is pumping!

Do you think the importance of an existing relationship is lessened with the strength of this class? Sometimes these 4 and 5 star guys wait to see where the chips start falling. Guys that might not have considered SU might now with the chance to play together and win a championship.

Please don't get me wrong, no matter how this plays out, I'm ecstatic with this class. I'm just kind of thinking that maybe we have a chance to do something unprecedented? My Orange blood is pumping!
It's not like we have any kind of historic class for these guys to want to jump in on. It is a very good class. Best in years. But lets not blow it out of proportion.

It's not like we have any kind of historic class for these guys to want to jump in on. It is a very good class. Best in years. But lets not blow it out of proportion.

Dasher, I have the utmost respect for you and what you contribute on a regular basis to this board. But you seem resigned to getting Nate or just calling it a class (barring a grad transfer). I guess what I'm saying is that seems out of character.

As you yourself state, it is the best class we've had in years and we still have one scholarship remaining, There IS a chance for this class to be our best ever. Have we ever had three 5 star recruits in one class? Have we ever landed the number one recruiting class? Because that's what we'd have if we landed a guy like Shittu. I want JB's swan song to be the biggest FU tour ever. I'd think we'd all be on board for that?

I may be crazy, but I'm a relentless fan, and I smell blood! ;)

Dasher, I have the utmost respect for you and what you contribute on a regular basis to this board. But you seem resigned to getting Nate or just calling it a class (barring a grad transfer). I guess what I'm saying is that seems out of character.

As you yourself state, it is the best class we've had in years and we still have one scholarship remaining, There IS a chance for this class to be our best ever. Have we ever had three 5 star class? Have we ever landed the number one recruiting class? Because that's what we'd have if we landed a guy like Shittu. I want JB's swan song to be the biggest FU tour ever. I'd think we'd all be on board for that?

Carey isn't 5 star. And we have had two 5 stars in a class. Not get me wrong, I love the kid. But it is what it is.

Carey isn't 5 star. And we have had two 5 stars in a class. Not get me wrong, I love the kid. But it is what it is.

I thought I saw him listed as a 5 star on at least one site. Anyhow, you can't blame me for wanting to go all out. I think we have some serious bargaining chips to entice another elite guy, but what do I know ;)

The bigs in this class leave a lot to be desired. Not sure where people are seeing blue chip 5’s.

As you yourself state, it is the best class we've had in years and we still have one scholarship remaining, There IS a chance for this class to be our best ever. Have we ever had three 5 star recruits in one class? Have we ever landed the number one recruiting class? Because that's what we'd have if we landed a guy like Shittu. I want JB's swan song to be the biggest FU tour ever. I'd think we'd all be on board for that?

Still two weeks left -- let's not throw in the towel just yet.

Being close to family can be an awfully compelling lure once the chips are down. Fingers crossed.

I thought I saw him listed as a 5 star on at least one site. Anyhow, you can't blame me for wanting to go all out. I think we have some serious bargaining chips to entice another elite guy, but what do I know ;)

If Chukwu can have a solid year i don't see a need to waste the ship on someone who might not be up to par, because if he is capable of playing solid D than well be more than fine with him and Sidbee (who i think will be tremendous for us), don't get me wrong id love to see us get involved with further with Shittu or another elite Center but it would have to be someone worthy of the ship and not just handing it out since we have one available (assuming we miss out on Nate)...i don't hate carrying that over to 2019 where we are involved with several big time prospects in the front court such as Precious, Igeihorn, Cockburn etc

If Chukwu can have a solid year i don't see a need to waste the ship on someone who might not be up to par, because if he is capable of playing solid D than well be more than fine with him and Sidbee (who i think will be tremendous for us), don't get me wrong id love to see us get involved with further with Shittu or another elite Center but it would have to be someone worthy of the ship and not just handing it out since we have one available (assuming we miss out on Nate)...i don't hate carrying that over to 2019 where we are involved with several big time prospects in the front court such as Precious, Igeihorn, Cockburn etc

If Chukwu can have a solid year, then I think we're OK moving forward for next year with Sidibe / Chukwu as the centers.

Plus, we'd have a versatile quartet of forwards.

Adding a big is a luxury -- not an imperative. And I'm not just saying that to rationalize Roberts potentially going elsewhere. Would absolutely love to land him, because he runs like a deer and seems like the type of kid who might thrive in our system. But it won't be the end of the world if we don't sign him, especially if Chukwu / Sidibe are decent.

I agree that we shouldn't waste the scholarship on anything less than an elite player. Simi fits that description. Vandy stinks and UNC with a little luck gets put on probation!

As for Chukwu, I hope you're right. Outside of his height, I just don't see it. He's at BEST a BMK, and that IMO is being generous.

I do agree about Precious and Cockburn. But they shouldn't prevent us from stepping back in the ring with Simi.

my god, if he could be that pencil us in to the elite-8

(don't think he can be that)

I think you cut off the rest of my statement... that IMO that assessment is generous ;)

If Chukwu can have a solid year, then I think we're OK moving forward for next year with Sidibe / Chukwu as the centers.

Plus, we'd have a versatile quartet of forwards.

Adding a big is a luxury -- not an imperative. And I'm not just saying that to rationalize Roberts potentially going elsewhere. Would absolutely love to land him, because he runs like a deer and seems like the type of kid who might thrive in our system. But it won't be the end of the world if we don't sign him, especially if Chukwu / Sidibe are decent.
Based on the sample size, we have a better chance of Frank being All-ACC than Chukwu being a solid contributor.

Based on the sample size, we have a better chance of Frank being All-ACC than Chukwu being a solid contributor.

Define "solid contributor." Because if we have scoring pop from the rest of the lineup, then all we'd need from a player like Chukwu would be shot blocking, snaring the occasional rebound, and being disruptive defensively. If he could play like a Jeremy McNeil type--who didn't amass big statistics but was a solid role player and important defensive cog--that would be fine.

Define "solid contributor." Because if we have scoring pop from the rest of the lineup, then all we'd need from a player like Chukwu would be shot blocking, snaring the occasional rebound, and being disruptive defensively. If he could play like a Jeremy McNeil type--who didn't amass big statistics but was a solid role player and important defensive cog--that would be fine.

I'm not optimistic we will get even that. He might block a few shots against the cupcakes. Sorry, I'm just not bullish on PC.

To be clear -- I am not specifically bullish on Chukwu, either.

Yeah, I know you had "ifs" in there. They are big IF's IMO. It sucks because I was bullish he could contribute when he transferred.

Oh man, I’d kill for a poor man’s McNeil. McNeil at times was a beast on the boards, a force blocking shots, and obviously a physically strong player. Even if the light bulb goes on for Chukwu and/or he shows some enthusiasm and joy playing the game; I worry about him simply being rooted out of position for rebounds and such nullifying his height.

I'm not optimistic we will get even that. He might block a few shots against the cupcakes. Sorry, I'm just not bullish on PC.
I watched a short video of him taking jump shots and my take away is that he has inadequate lower body strength and a small vertical. A good rebounder has to be a jumping jack, or like the scouts say, have live legs. Think Hak or Seikaly or the worm. Chewy is not going to be there for that quick second jump. Another way to be a good rebounder is to be a big-ass wide body. Chewy has neither attribute. He'll get some reebs due to height but our success will depend on Sidbee, not Chewy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom