If we don't sign Nate | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

If we don't sign Nate

Is there a November signing time in college hoops and an April?

Moses Brown, NY guy.

What blue chips?

Recruiting is about relationship cultivation, we don't just go out and grab guys just because we're the 'Cuse.

Moses Brown, NY guy.
He hasn't given us the time of day from the get-go. Maybe one of our insiders can give us the low down, or maybe Dean can mention what he knows in his next podcast.

To concur with Dasher, we do not FEEL like we are in 1st place with Nate, but they have no official word and have not been told anything negative , however, it's a "gut" feeling and they do not know if it is Nebraska or Washington in the lead.
When they have told me in the past, doesn't look great, 99.99% we lose, happened with Swider and the kid who just went to Duke (from white plains now in atlanta)
Also sounds like Carrigan is not an option, they have started working on someone else, do not know who, but they have wheels in motion.
I would prefer a grad transfer for 1 year if we need someone, especially when we are "in" the game on so many big time players for 19. It is very possible they go this route.
Regardless, they do want to add another body, not going into next season without adding another big.
We have been off the grid with Simi for months now, not happening.
I am thrilled with our class regardless, we are in great shape.

Have a great weekend

To go with Bazley, Carey, Brissett, etc. I want to add a big body who defends, rebounds, sets screens, and can catch the ball and dunk in the easy ones.

Basically bizarro world TT. Like, a Conrad McRae. Don’t care if it’s a 5th year, or freshman. I want to make the most of Bazley’s time here. Is a guy like that out there?

It's hard to convince a top end C like Brown that Syracuse is a good school for him. SU hasn't really recruited the position
well, they don't feed the post at all, and they don't put centers into the NBA. There's been one great season out of Rakeem,
and the only reason he had the great season is that the forwards from the previous year left, and the wings are the focus
of the Orange offense, it's not the centers. They got some good years from Arinze and Rick Jackson, but those guys aren't
centers as pros. If I'm a top ten prospect, and I'm the number one or two center, I'm going somewhere that makes me the
focus of the offense, and allows me to put up some great D stats too, and that isn't SU.

Kev

To concur with Dasher, we do not FEEL like we are in 1st place with Nate, but they have no official word and have not been told anything negative , however, it's a "gut" feeling and they do not know if it is Nebraska or Washington in the lead.
When they have told me in the past, doesn't look great, 99.99% we lose, happened with Swider and the kid who just went to Duke (from white plains now in atlanta)
Also sounds like Carrigan is not an option, they have started working on someone else, do not know who, but they have wheels in motion.
I would prefer a grad transfer for 1 year if we need someone, especially when we are "in" the game on so many big time players for 19. It is very possible they go this route.
Regardless, they do want to add another body, not going into next season without adding another big.
We have been off the grid with Simi for months now, not happening.
I am thrilled with our class regardless, we are in great shape.

Have a great weekend
So if they're going simply on a gut reaction, how can they be 99.99 percent sure? That doesn't make any sense.

It's hard to convince a top end C like Brown that Syracuse is a good school for him. SU hasn't really recruited the position
well, they don't feed the post at all, and they don't put centers into the NBA. There's been one great season out of Rakeem,
and the only reason he had the great season is that the forwards from the previous year left, and the wings are the focus
of the Orange offense, it's not the centers. They got some good years from Arinze and Rick Jackson, but those guys aren't
centers as pros. If I'm a top ten prospect, and I'm the number one or two center, I'm going somewhere that makes me the
focus of the offense, and allows me to put up some great D stats too, and that isn't SU.

Kev

I think SU makes the best players the focus of their offense, regardless of position. That’s usually a guard or forward. I think if our C was our best option, he’d get the ball a lot. Like you said: Christmas, Jackson, AO, going back a ways Etan.

I can’t think of a C we should’ve fed more, other than sophomore, healthy AO but I blame that more on the youth, lack of b-ball IQ, and extremely aggressive scoring guards on that team than our overall approach.

Kev
Just send Nate recordings of every game in the 2014-15 season. Rak was a beast in the paint. When we have a center that's capable of scoring in the paint, we feed the paint. Tell Nate we can get him there if he's willing to work hard.

Kev
Also, most of the top programs don't run their offense through the center position. NCAA basketball is a guard oriented game. But when SU has good post players like AO and Rick Jackson and Rak, they feed the post more.

Kev
Or, viewed another way, Rock got in as a marginal center prospect. So did Fab. We don't have bulky 5's because they have to move in the zone. It's not the NBA trend anyway. We're putting guys in the league every year at guard and forward, once in a while at center. Aint no thang.

well
, they don't feed the post at all, and they don't put centers into the NBA.
agree with your larger point, but it is false that we haven't recruited the position well. its easy to forget because of dc2's injuries,but we had a mcd aa center on the roster for 7 consecutive seasons from 2010-11 to last year (fab to roc to dajuan).

So if they're going simply on a gut reaction, how can they be 99.99 percent sure? That doesn't make any sense.

They are going on gut, I am saying that when they have felt this way in the past and conveyed it to me, we lose
It can change, Carey played it very tight to the vest, there were times worried about UConn, other times Miami, but we had a very good chance with Jalen for many reasons including we were the 1st to tel them PG, Baze helped, his father knows Red going back to Harlem and Elijah and JC are cousins, besides all the other great things about SU BB.

I would think Buddy is working on Nate as well, could be big help next 2 weeks and the coach up there loves SU

Never over til it's over and things can change quickly

Define "solid contributor." Because if we have scoring pop from the rest of the lineup, then all we'd need from a player like Chukwu would be shot blocking, snaring the occasional rebound, and being disruptive defensively. If he could play like a Jeremy McNeil type--who didn't amass big statistics but was a solid role player and important defensive cog--that would be fine.

He dreams of being Jeremy, pre hammer to surgeries.
He ain't Jeremy. His biggest explosions come after a Taco Bell run.

Kev

VERY few schools utilize the center as offensive option number one. The game has evolved. It's become a perimeter game with greater emphasis on guard play and the stretch 4/5. And we have put a few centers into the NBA. Rak, Fab most recently. We had Seikaly and Etan also come to mind. Who knows what would have been with Dajaun Coleman if he had stayed healthy.

Jordan Brown is another big available who is a top 15 recruit. He's visiting St John's on Oct 14th. Certainly worth a shot. If he's willing to look at SJU he'd certainly look at SU, no?
From seeing Jordan in person...he's the real deal. I would love to see him in orange.

Yeah I think there's going to be some movement here soon. I'm not hearin we're as far behind on Nate as Dash is. Think we pull it out. But there's going to be more news in CBB. This shakedown is just starting.

Yeah I think there's going to be some movement here soon. I'm not hearin we're as far behind on Nate as Dash is. Think we pull it out. But there's going to be more news in CBB. This shakedown is just starting.
Always bringing heat